Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Megaforce... Good place to start?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2006, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau Megaforce... Good place to start?

Hey there, this is my first post. I had almost started Tau back when they first were released but had not been able to get into them for varying circumstances. What I had purchased the 3rd Edition Battle Force, 6 Pathfinders, a Devil Fish and an Etheral and of course the Codex. Now that I am looking to get back into the hobby I see that the Mega Force is going to be released soon.

So basically what I own now for the Tau Empire would be:
12 Firewarriors
12 Kroot Warriors
1 Devil Fish
6 Pathfinders
3 Battle Suits
1 Etheral
3rd Edition Codex

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefr...014&orignav=10

Anyway, my plans were to purchase the Megaforce and use that as my starting point, that and using some of the models from before. I see that the Megaforce is actually a decent bargain, $250 Canadian. I was just now wondering how you feel about the soon to be released Megaforce and if it is going to be well worth it as a new starting point. Thanks!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Tau Megaforce... Good place to start?

It depends.. how many squads of fw's will you be running, and how many piranhas? the drones, hammerhead, devilfish, and stealthsuits are all good. However, I personally never use more than 2 piranhas and 2 squads of fw's. Depending on how you like to wage war, think carefully about whether or not you'll ever use that many fw's or that many piranhas.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 17:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The new megaforce is indeed a good bargain and is actually nicely balanced. Most people will even end up using all thats in it too as those units can fit into almost any type of army that we see nowadays. Compared to some of the old battleforces where there were some great units and some that you just did not want the new Tau megaforce is pretty much a nice balanced start with Tau with a nice selection of units and especially ones that will introduce you to the majority of the Tau rules.

However I would make sure to check these forums for ideas on an army list before you start gluing down weapons (even then magnets are preferable for swapping things) and pay no heed to the army list shown in the last white dwarf. I for one thought it was terrible.

Nevertheless I give the Tau megaforce a 9/10 as far as a starting point for a new player goes.

Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

I like armies packed with Fire Warriors and Piranhas, so I heartily endorse this awesome army deal.

There's plenty of balance in it and the only things it lacks are Crisis suits...but they're expensive and you can add as many or as few as you want.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 22 Aug 2006, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow, that battle force dose look good.*

however concidering it cost $300 in Australia and $175 US in america....

and

300.00 AUD Australia Dollars* = 228.690 USD United States Dollars*

Is it me or is that $42US difference* :-\

Old 22 Aug 2006, 22:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

it's just you because i see about a 53 US difference.

I think its a good deal, a lot better than the battle force. You can always use some of the models as conversions.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to thom

The Megaforce is a pretty big box, and shipping it does cost. I'm reasonably sure that these things are made in the UK, which explains how they cost so little in the UK, significantly more in the US, and a lot more in Australia. They ship it so they can release it worldwide at the same time, which explains why they are spending $40 in shipping. Though I bet they are actually spending $25 and skimming the remaining $15 off of a vulnerable consumer base. They do the same thing in the US, to a lesser extent. A single Crisis suit is $35 to $40 US. It's a huge gyp. They would get lots more players if they slashed the prices.
No.
If you had a brother, do you think he would like philosophy?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 23:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

It's not only shipping costs or tarriffs, but there's the very big matter of currency conversions...damn that strong Australian Dollar *waves fist*

...oh wait, I'm converting all my thousands into Canadian ones in a month...huzzah for Australian economic prosperity

The fact is that $300AUD is worth a lot of USD right now...and back in the day, if you remember how it was a few years ago, it'd only be getting you about $150US. In that circumstance, you'd be getting a pretty awesome deal...postage or not.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 23 Aug 2006, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My vote would be for the Megaforce.

You can't go wrong with full FW units. Even when you play Mech, Hybrid, or Static.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 24 Aug 2006, 05:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Get the Megaforce. It is a great bargain, you can try out most of the units available to a tau commander, adn you can sell what you don't like.
Closed Thread