Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to smite my enemies with???
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauVa KoVash
Default What to smite my enemies with???

i recently played a 750 Pt battle against a Necron force containing a monolith, with my army only containing one weapon that could even get a penetrating hit on it (i know, stupid huh? they insisted on having it though and me being a nice guy and all :P).
anyhow, it made me realise 2 things: one, the reason for playing tau is their awesome firepower that would usually cut through Armour like it was paper, and the second: i really need some heavy support!
so, considering that my main opponents are Necrons, space marines and da orkz (lol just had to misspell there i couldn't resist) I'm thinking i need some super-heavy weps except for against the orks.
I'm thinking about getting either a hammerhead or a broadside and would really like some advice as to which one i should get (or alternate options even ???).
thanks.
“When cities burn and armies turn, and flee in disarray, cowards will say ‘tis best to fly and fight another day, but the faithful know it in the marrow when the die and fall, it is better to have fought and lost, than not to have fought at all.”
"All those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand..."
A -ssole, a- ssole, a soldier I will be, too pissed, too pissed, two pistols on my knee, I will fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old country.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: What to smite my enemies with???

goes like this
hammer head,brodside,hammer head,2 more braod sides.

Thats the order wich you should get them.
Broad side better aganist tanks than hh but hh also has big template to throw around.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauVa KoVash
i recently played a 750 Pt battle against a Necron force containing a monolith, with my army only containing one weapon that could even get a penetrating hit on it (i know, stupid huh? they insisted on having it though and me being a nice guy and all :P).
anyhow, it made me realise 2 things: one, the reason for playing tau is their awesome firepower that would usually cut through Armour like it was paper, and the second: i really need some heavy support!
so, considering that my main opponents are Necrons, space marines and da orkz (lol just had to misspell there i couldn't resist) I'm thinking i need some super-heavy weps except for against the orks.
I'm thinking about getting either a hammerhead or a broadside and would really like some advice as to which one i should get (or alternate options even ???).
thanks.
He didn't have much else did he?
Minimum mandatory units for Necrons cost 460 (HQ+2 min troops) + monolith in addition to that means he's already around 700 point mark. Maybe 3 scarab swarms, or some more warriors or wargear (orb?)

Anyway, the point is that once you kill about 15 on the 21+ warriors (15 MEQ:s, hopefully not too difficult.) they should phase out. Or, you could have a squad of firewarriors with EMP grenades. 6 to hit, but still quite possible, though suicidal.

Old 22 Aug 2006, 09:16   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

that was his army exactly! a boss guy he'd named johnny (not C'tan), monolith, 2 warrior squads and 3 scarabs.
for some reason i was too determined to kill his scarabs about to rip me to shreds than the rest of his army advancing more slowly (for some reason he didnt do that thing with the monolith DSing and then deploying them but was content with sitting back and melting my crisis commander).
he did however DS with his boss guy and actually landed on one of my squads and should have gone poof! but me being a nice guy and all i let him stay to rip me apart.
anyhow yeah i tried that thing with the EMP grenades, 2 squads were obliterated in 2 turns that way trying to get to the warriors and the monolith. dont ask why i was going for the monolith when i couldnt even glance it.
i still dont know if you can use EMPs on nec warriors because of the... shall we say... "heated" discussion that arose over it that ended up in a sumo style grapple match (not me i swear! just some friends watching the game).
any more info on that would be much appreciated.
“When cities burn and armies turn, and flee in disarray, cowards will say ‘tis best to fly and fight another day, but the faithful know it in the marrow when the die and fall, it is better to have fought and lost, than not to have fought at all.”
A -ssole, a- ssole, a soldier I will be, too pissed, too pissed, two pistols on my knee, I will fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old country.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 09:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oh and yeah the ordinance blast template would be great against ork mobs or even the ion cannon for things like wartruks and killa kans (three shots is always fun lol)
ps sorry about the double post.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 10:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

EMP are (unfortunately) vehicle-only. Can you imagine the utter coolness of seeing those marines running for their lives from a bunch of shas'la holding grenades in each hand?

quick ad between two drop-pod launching prayers:

*slide showing page 33 of rulebook or other such scenes*"This is your heavily adorned (and thus probably rather improperly shielded though such knowledge would be heretical) Astartes Powered Armor"

*slide showing an old fridge* "This is your heavily adorned (and thus probably rather improperly shielded though such knowledge would be heretical) Astartes Powered Armor on 'localised adhesive wide-spectrum focused electromagnetic-pulse xeno charges', aka "unholy hand grenades"
"Any questions?"

The necrons ARE, however, just as vulnerable to photon grenades as the next guy.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 10:20   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

aaww there goes my fun. what with the EMPs sending an electomagnetic pulse throughout the object in question, short-circuiting, melting, or even exploding it i thought it would be sooo cool to do this to necrons lol. they are, after all, big metal rust buckets that were sitting in a hole for 60 million years, so why not? i think it might just be like static electricity shock for a marine though. lol soo cool to see 7-9 foot marines running from 4 foot blue guys with only 3 fingers and hooves lol.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 11:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauVa KoVash
that was his army exactly! a boss guy he'd named johnny (not C'tan), monolith, 2 warrior squads and 3 scarabs.
for some reason i was too determined to kill his scarabs about to rip me to shreds than the rest of his army advancing more slowly (for some reason he didnt do that thing with the monolith DSing and then deploying them but was content with sitting back and melting my crisis commander).
he did however DS with his boss guy and actually landed on one of my squads and should have gone poof! but me being a nice guy and all i let him stay to rip me apart.
anyhow yeah i tried that thing with the EMP grenades, 2 squads were obliterated in 2 turns that way trying to get to the warriors and the monolith. dont ask why i was going for the monolith when i couldnt even glance it.
i still dont know if you can use EMPs on nec warriors because of the... shall we say... "heated" discussion that arose over it that ended up in a sumo style grapple match (not me i swear! just some friends watching the game).
any more info on that would be much appreciated.
Well, you seem to be a beginner, so I´ll give few thought to kickstart the gears between the ears :

First of all, remember that your missilepods, plasmaguns and Fusionblasters instant kill the scarabs (so no need to worry about that 3 wound thing). They also all ignore scarab armor save, but if the scarabs turboboost they still get the inv. save. Secondary suit weapon against scarabs is flamer, which causes 2 wounds/hit, since scarabs are vulnerable to blasts. Not as good as instant kill, but still.

Now, some sort of list of your availlable forces would help, but I assume you have following:

Firewarriors, crisis suit(s), maybe enough gundrones for a squadron and kroots.

This is encluded in a battleforce, and parts are mandatory forces so you should have them.
Firewarriors are actually quitre good against necrons in such small games. If he doesn't have destroyers, and you can get them in cover you have a good firebase. Same goes with Kroot, but oinly if there is area terrain for them to occupy. Gundrones and suits are quite mobile against necrons, so should be able to provide some extra firepower where it is needed.

At this small games it's propably worth ignoring the monolith, and going for the warriors. Also, his Lord shouldn't be able to DS, unless he has a wargear (Veil of Darkness?) worth 60 (?) pts, so you might want to check on that. If he had wargear and scarabs, he might have been over the point limit. Also, I´m not sure if this has come up, but monolith can't fire both Particle whip and Gauss Flux on same turn (This is stated in Necron FAQ).

As for him shooting your commander, there are two things that should keep him safe(r). First, since he is independent character (unless he has bodyguards or gundrones with him), he can only be targeted if he is the closest model (rulebook page 51, "Shooting at characters"). Second, since particle whip is limited range (24") you might stay out of range for few first rounds. and as it is not a barrage weapon, he needs LOS to you. Since you can move after shooting, you should be able to position your commander outside LOS unless you were fighting on planet pooltable.

What kind or terrain did you use? That could make you much safer with suits. And if you have list of models you have and list you used against him, that would help.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 02:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When against things like Necrons and Space Marines, I strongly suggest you take Crisis Suits armed with Twin-Linked Plasma Rifles and Targeting Arrays. In my experience, this combinations has defeated more 3+ armour save opponents and any other combination known to Crisis Suits. I also suggest some Vespids to assist your Crisis Suit, to clean up any stragglers left in the squad. If you want some heavy support at this level, I suggest a Broadside. It is cheaper at this points level and its Railgun is efficient at destroying any tank in the know 40k universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
Old 23 Aug 2006, 04:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shas'vre:
PR with targetting array: 66% chance of a hit
Twinlinked BS3: 75% chance to hit
TA + Twinlink: 88% chance to hit. But at what cost?

I'd say one or the other... As efficient as that may be, with 2-3 suits like this you could easily afford a 4th instead...
Closed Thread