Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop My Pathfinders?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

Default Drop My Pathfinders?

In light of the recent castration of the pathfinders Scouts movment (the 'fish does not get the scouts rule), i am considering droping them in favor of: A Skyray with sutable upgrades and 2 Marker drones attatched to a 2 suit deathrain team.

1) I realize this is HALF the markerlights for MORE POINTS(i can trim points as needed. The new lights are mobile, hopefully more durable, and avoid the "all eggs in one basket" approach.

2) I dont have alot of money invested in the models: I built them out of my bitz box with scratch built marker lights and no helmets(never liked the helmets on the metal ones)for similar results use IG torsos.

3) All i need to buy for this approach is another marker drone. or scratch build them.

My list briefly Shas'el with TA, HWMT(PR, MP or PR, FB) Monet Suit (AFP, SG, FL) Deathrainx2with SG, Stealth x4, 2 FWx12w/DF teams, Pirahna(FB) x2, Ionhead, Railhead, and the "pathfinder x12w/carbine/ML and warfish" team in question.

What do you think? Good idea bad idea? Give it a try and see?

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Drop My Pathfinders?

I've used Skyray's before & tbh, HH's or BS's are much better heavy slots. Of course it really depends on your opponent, but for the points cost, giving your FW teams ML's could possibly be a better idea.

Also, if you don't have need for the HH's or BS's, Sniper drone teams have BS 4 ML's w/ TL already included in their points costs, so that might be a viable alternative as well.

By all means however, give the Skyray a chance & see if you like it, but IMO it's not terribly worth it.

~Sunscreem
Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:43   #3 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

Broadsides are tempting, and they my make an ocasional apperance in my list(I own one, may get a second and third) by I would like to keep a pure mech option as my primary list.

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I actually tried taking a skyray with some marker drones in a crisis squad. Needless to say, a skyray is only living up to its potential if you take loads of markerlights, and the only real way to do that is to take pathfinders.

So now I'm experimenting with pathfinders, to see how I like them. Yes, the scout rule was lousy, but they're still decent enough. Now they need to make them troops, and a 0-1 choice at that, and they'll fit right in nicely, IMO.

On a side note; I play full mech. Technically, the pathfiders have a devilfish, and thus can fit right into a mech list. If they need to move, just have the devilfish stay nearby for a quick pickup.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

i don't think the new rulings should envoke you to not take pathfinders, they are not that much worse. i like the sky ray but i don't like the markerdrones.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Biggest problem with skyray: HEAVY SUPPORT.

Its a great bargin, and if this was any other army it would be a pretty damn good addition... but unlike every other army, our anti-tank and MEQ weaponry are Elite/HS only. Very little room for wiggling around, and this is just one of those units that isn't quite enough of a sure thing for these heavily contested slots.

I mean look at what its going up against: Broadsides and Railheads (our only sources of the fabled 'railgun&#39, Ionheads (good cost, good MEQ slaying, and if that ion cannon was just one point stronger it would be like 3 seekers a round.) 3 sniper teams (which would mean 3 markerlights)...

Its a good unit. It really is. But its quite possibly the worst heavy support choice we have due to its redundancy and lack of heavy-armor penetration power.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 06:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well my problem with the skyray is even without a Pathfinder team i was able to fire off all of its seekers plus 3 more that i had on other tanks and not one of them killed anything. That was very disapointing. It almost seems more worthwile takeing 2 rail heads. But i LOVE pathfinders. i can't wait untill am done painting them.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 20:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

my take on the sky ray, is that it is a good choise in the case where you do not need 3 heavy choises to take on heavy armor, which is usualy the case for myself. i supose that it can get a little more important against imperial guard, but my experiance against guard has been being largly slaughterd but still winning the objective. basicly all his tanks were on one side and all his inantry were on the other. with 1 hammerhead, 1 sky ray, a shaso and 3 fireknife i whiped out his tanks suffering heavy casualtys while my FOF when affter the infantry and were unable to kill any guardsmen, however the stealth squad whiped out 2 plattoons and a rattling sniper squad. he had 3 leman russ, 2 sentils, 2 chimeras all destroyed while i had the 3 fireknife left.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One simple sentance pathfinders for the win
Old 24 Aug 2006, 05:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Drop the pathfinders, use sniper drone teams and small markerlighted infantry squads.
Closed Thread