Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategies for defeating Necrons.
Closed Thread
Old 22 Aug 2006, 02:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Strategies for defeating Necrons.

Hello, Me again, and I have a game coming up this Fri against a Necron player. He just got the models off of ebay (a 2000 point force), and has only played one game with them (against me, and I won.). I believe we will do another 1500 point battle this Fri. Here's the scoop: last game, he fielded 3 warrior squads (total: 30), a lord, a monolith, 2 scarab swarms (total bases: 8 or 9), some destroyers (3), and some pariahs (6) (that's what i remember, at least ). He also, from what I know, has a nightbringer, a destroyer lord, and some heavy destroyers (not sure how many), but I'm not sure if he will bring them. He also told me that he will deepstrike his monolith next game (don't ask me why he told me, but I don't think he was trying to trick me or something), probably to protect it and let it get some shots off (got a "vehicle exploded" result on the pen table before it even got a chance to shoot, thanks to a Railhead ). He will also be DSing his Scarab Swarms, I believe. I'm not sure if he will keep units in reserve or teleport em out of the lith. In my opinion, this gives me some advantages,
like less targets on the board 1st turn and less guns to shoot back at me. Not sure on many disadvantages for me, honestly.... as the scarabs will probably be killed off quickly (especially if the monolith fails to DS 2nd turn and they are able to, that means my WHOLE force against their weak little 5+ saves..... I guess some disadvantages would start to stack if the monolith survives my dual Railhead assault when it DS's..... Might have to space out some Fusion along my lines just in case. I will be taking my normal list, which includes a Shas'o ( all the necessary upgrades,PL, with a CIB for the necrons, possibly change out for a fusion?), Sniper team, 2 railheads (one BC one SMS, all the necessary upgrades), one team of 6 FW, one [mechanized] FoF team of 12, with a Warfish, a Fireknife team, a 6-man stealth team (TA), and 3 squads of Sniper Drones. There may be more, but I usually use that as my STC for a 1500 list. Also, my units have the common upgrades (shas'ui, decoy launchers, you know. All the stuff you should take). He will probably take the list I mentioned way above, maybe with a modification or two. (He MIGHT take a Heavy destroyer or two. He showed no clue of this when I was playing him, but my RailHeads did some big damage to his army).

Please give me some tips against Necrons, if you could. Maybe some strategies, too

Thanks for your time!

-Nuke

Sorry if this seems badly typed (I hope not). One last thing: has anyone here ever totally beaten a Necron army, as in killed off everyone before they could phase out? If you have, please tell! I'm not sure how it could be done, though...

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:28   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Strategies for defeating Necrons.

just a random tip, break up your text into smaller paragraphs so that it is easier to read
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Just a word of advice, kill the warriors when you get any chances... Best chance of winning is to make them phase out.

Oh, and melta type weapons (Fusion Blaster) only get to roll one D6 againest the Monolith not two.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't play either Necrons or Tau, so keep that in mind.

If he doesn't bring the Heavy Destroyers, you can get away with not moving your Hammerheads very far - nothing he has can easily penetrate them, and your Hammerheads are harder to kill off of a slow-moving glance.

Railguns are pretty valuable against Necrons, I imagine. You can instakill Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers, and they're the ones most likely to be away from an Orb. Broadsides are probably more valuable than Hammerheads; a Veiling Warrior squad or some Destroyers can severely threaten a vehicle, but a 2+ save is incredibly hard for them to punch through (Necrons complain about Terminators a lot).

Generally, when facing Necrons, you want to focus fire on single squads at a time if there's no Monolith on the board, while shooting at lots of different squads if there is a Monolith. Wiping out a whole squad in an area means that some of them won't be getting WBB, but focus-firing on a squad is bad if a Monolith can suck most of them through. Because a Monolith can only help one squad at a time, you want to scatter your fire if there's one around.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 04:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Necrons generally are pretty defensive, and if you run a mech list, this is a good thing. Scarabs will be of little trouble, and the nightbringer will be a JOKE! The monolith/nightbringer/scarabs/pariahs will all mean one thing; LOW PHASE OUT.

The deepstriking also means less to deal with in the first turns.

Thus, you should take a mobile army that can take the fight to the necrons early, and completely smash the destroyers and necrons aside. The nightbringer will be a joke, the pariahs are overpriced (and slow) and the scarabs are deepstriking to boot, and will be unable to hit you in the first turns.

Take a very mobile army; infiltrating kroot, (infiltrate AWAY from the nightbringer and pariahs, which will be bad news for kroot) stealthsuits, helios crisis, ionheads, railheads, fw's in devilfishes, etc. Hit him hard with high str weaponry to overwhelm the WBB on the destroyers and take them out in one fell swoop. Then move on to the necron warriors... but be wary. You should try as hard as possible to avoid combat with the nightbringer and simply stay away from the monolith. (investing the points in killing it really isn't worth it when you can overwhelm his WBB numbers so quickly. In addition, it has the annoying habit of shrugging off everything.)

All in all, he's taking some of the least effective units against mech tau you could possibly hope for. Go mech, show him who's boss. If you haven't already, you should read the mech tau bible (here;
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~leebj/
) and you may want to read this batrep on mech tau vs necrons. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=30477.0

Good luck, tell us how it turns out!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 06:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Alright, thanks for the info everyone! My army for Fri. will probably be nerfing either the stealth suits or the sniper drones... although, Honestly, I'm reluctant to do either. My Stealths killed his destroyer unit before it could shoot last game, and my snipers were able to kill a a few warriors and pariahs, and inflicted a wound or two on his lord, not to mention the markerlights. I guess I would be nerfing the Snipers and putting in a pathfinder team...... I don't know, I have really had success with both in the past, so as said before, I'm reluctant to change much. For sure, though, I will be replacing my Fireknife suits with Helios suits, but they're the same price. I guess that may be my only change, then However, I really like the idea of replacing a RailHead with a team of Broadsides.... about the same price, maybe a bit cheaper due to the way I equip my RailHeads..... One more thing: he took Disruption Fields on all possible units last game, so I'm not sure if he will do the same next game, too.

One last thing, quite funny: The Necron player only made ONE of his WBB rolls the whole game last Fri. How funny is that?!

Old 22 Aug 2006, 07:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Only played necrons once, but when I did the sniper drones proved both extremely useful and very quickly dead.

6 snipers (which I, in a magnificent display of idiocy clumped nicely all together), thanks to their networked markerlights, managed to waste 4 warriors one turn, and three destroyers the next. Not one retaliatory shot, so this went very well (wish they'd tried though but... well...)

Then a single wraith got to them. The end (no really. That was it. Total slaughter of them right then and there.)

Scarab swarms are probably always a joke as long as we have a railhead or a good deal of pulse (or the airfrag, or flamers for whatever reason....) Just stay the hell away from them with your skimmers... I found out the hard way that the real reason to take'em is that disruption field....

Biggest threat is destroyers I'd say. I'd argue the regular gauss cannon is more dangerous than the heavy, thanks to that little rule of theirs. Its kinda like a CIB with a lot more power. Snipers proved a perfect match for them: I plan on using them again against this opponent, where they'll act as a wonderful interdiction-zone for those levitating bastards.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 07:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, That's what my snipers would have done if my Stealths hadn't wiped the Destroyers out 1st turn (Although guided by a Sniper Team's Markerlight to hit at BS5, so that might count ). I also read on the Mech Tau that Ionheads can be quite effective against Necrons (HOW DID I NOT DEDUCE THA MYSELF! ARRGH lol). so what I might end up taking, for HS, at least, is: 3 sniper teams, 1 IonHead, and 3 Broadsides. Either that, or 2 Broadsides, 3 sniper teams, and a Railhead. I would be taking in/out the broadside due to the price difference between the ionhead and the railhead. Ideas?

One more thing: I could also put some EMP 'nades on one of my firewarrior squads.... the 6 unit would be cheaper, but the 12 unit would have a better chance at killing it, and have a better chance of reaching the 'lith ( with their transport). Ideas?

Edit: I will probably end up taking only 2 Broadsides, regardless of the IonHead/RailHead choice.

Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

that's a pretty sacrificial thing to do... but it just might work, and damn well at that... But so expensive....

But we all know something that's far less expensive: how about some Gue'Vesa? They can equip EMPs can't they?

Railhead, Ionhead AND 2 broadsides could make for a very lethal combo. Good chance the broadsides can damage the monolith once a turn, Railhead's always good (swarms in this case)
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You know the mobile guys just dont' have a clue. You don't want mobility vs Necrons. You want a fire base. You want a lot of AP 3 weapons.

CS w/ PR
Broadsides w/ Railguns
Railrifles and Markerlights for Seeker Missiles
Hammerheads with Ion Cannons
Visped would work well as a clean up crew.
Lots of Firewarriors. They kill Deceivers.

First thing you do is fire all 3 Railguns from the BS's into the Monolith until it's dead. If no Monolith then you hit the Deceiver. If no Deceiver hit small units.

Main thing is to kill units as a whole that are by themselves. If they have 3 Heavy Destroyers and nothing else you need to kill them first. They can't WBB if all 3 are down. Next after you do that start hitting units to get them below half. Necrons have a ld 10 but if they are ld 9 they can end up failing a moral check and run off the board.

Try to hit units that are not next to a Res Orb. You can insta kill them and they don't get a WBB roll. Which is awesome.

Stay in cover. Necrons have AP 4 weapons and a 5+ Cover save is better than picking up models.

Ok that is what you need to know. Now go kick some butt.
Closed Thread