Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me please
Closed Thread
Old 20 Dec 2004, 20:53   #1 (permalink)
Montkra

Default Help me please

hi, I'm just starting Tau and I'm just wondering what to get. I've already got the codex and I'm thinking of having two squads of fire warriors and an ethereal for my compulsory units. Then I'm thinking of getting a hammerhead, some stealth warriors and some crisis battlesuits to expand the army. What do you think?

Old 20 Dec 2004, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Tau Tau

Default Re: Help me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montkra
hi, I'm just starting Tau and I'm just wondering what to get.* I've already got the codex and I'm thinking of having two squads of fire warriors and an ethereal for my compulsory units.* Then I'm thinking of getting a hammerhead, some stealth warriors and some crisis battlesuits to expand the army.* What do you think?
Well, there are TONS of threads on this, but there are three basic strategums (I think). There's static tau, which IMHO is better suited for gaurd, mobile firepower, which IMHO is what tau are meant for, and a mix of both. I need to take a shower, but I'm sure mace or someone can elaborate a little bit more.

oh, and welcom to TO!

Old 20 Dec 2004, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Montkra

thanks

Old 20 Dec 2004, 21:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Hallo. Well first get the army boxed set. It gives ya kroot, suits, drones, and FCWs (firewarriors). Then decide what ya want to do. Do you want to use kroot and go into the more ambushy cc style. Do you want a very mobile style. Do you want a firebase style. Or big guns.

For kroot ya would just get 1 or 2 full units of kroot w/ shapers and hounds and ox.

For a mobile army I would get a three fish and warrior boxed sets in total. Then the troop ya got in the army box can be divided into 3 ways to fill up your units giveing you enough troops to field impressivly and tanks to boot. Other than that all ya would need would be a HH. For a cheaper rout just get 1 troop set and a fish and get a HH which is cheaper but still gives ya the mobility. Pathfinders are an option to mark for you HH and also make ya mobile. You would also want a squad of stealths. No broudsides and not many kroot for anything but flesh screens while ya run away.

For Firebase ya just get ALLOT of firewarriors and some Broudsides and ya would camp and shooty everything that comes by. Or get some FCWs and a couple of HHs.

There are several things you can do. BUT I would suggets most strongly that ya get the army box, play with it and go on from there when you see what you like.

Another good thing is just get what you LIKE. What you think looks cool and learn to play with it from there.

Old 20 Dec 2004, 22:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Firstly, Welcome to TO.

Tau are an army that, as said ealier, have three different style

1)Shooty- Strong base of FW and lots of heavy support with suits
2)Mobile-FW monted in Devilfish, HH, and suits
3)Mixed-Some mounted troops, but with a firebase, mixed heavy support, suits.

Now an important thing is to have suits of all varieties. Shas'el or 'O will probably be your best HQ choice in your first games. Ethereals really don't come into their own exept in larger engagements where the risk of their death is lower.

I myself have a shooty Tau army but am building up my number of transports until a have a mobile army.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 05:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

A lot of good advice has been said here.. but it all depends on your choice and style of gameplay.. but seeing as your only starting off, you probably don't know your style of play yet.. so as said before, i suggest getting the battleforce/battle box, its probably the best and cheapest way to start with tau.. heres why..

The battleforce pretty much contains all you need for a basic tau army, and is an excellent basis for starting one.. you have enough crisis suits to have 1 hq and two elites, and you probably won't need to buy crisis suits for a long time after that.. in the box you also have 2 troop choices, a squad of fire warriors and a squad of kroot, which gives you a chance to try out each.. add to that enough drones to form a separate squad or two and maybe attach a few to one of your other squads, you end up with 1 hq, 2 elites, 2 troops and 2 fast attack..

I'm trying to keep this brief, but the battleforce is excellent value compared to buying the things separately, and its an excellent basis for starting off.. see this thread for more details and stuff on expanding after that..
Old 21 Dec 2004, 05:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If your oppponents will agree to it play a few games proxying different units if you dont have a money to go out and buy a bunch of stuff that you might not end up using. Before you decide what you want your army to do try out all of the different units.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 05:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Borrow a Store army or something.. and also.. it might help to read the stickied threads on this forum for advice on what to get and what not to get.. although keep in mind that most of the stuff here has been written in a 3rd edition context and is yet to be updated for 4th edition..
Old 21 Dec 2004, 07:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

My suggestion is buy the army box, its superb value and has all the models you'll need (nix tanks) then buy a HH and assemble it so as to be able to convert it to Devilfish and back and you have a strong starting army.

there are many literary works on this site (most are 3rd ed) but almost all the threads are 4th edso take a look and learn some about your prospective army.

IMHO
1 - Shooty tau are a very bad army as they are trying to do what another aarmy does better (guard is better)
2 - all mobile Tau while being what tau is famed fore has major tactical weaknesses that take a lot of thought and experience to cover up effectively, IMO leave this to people who want to be on the edge all the time.
3 - Mixed Tau is what I myself play, I'm one of the most active posters in the Tau forum and thus my tactics are all through the board for you to see, have a lok and see what you like.

most important of all you have to play the army and style you like or you will get bored (if you like shooty i honestly encourage guard as they are just better at it)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 21 Dec 2004, 16:12   #10 (permalink)
Montkra

hey thanks, this looks like great advice. I'm hopefully getting the Tau box set for christmas so fingers crossed!

By the way I actually used to play Imperial Guard once when I first started Warhammer. That was when I was young and inexperienced in the time of war and I never really got into it

Closed Thread