Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to crush an Iron Warrior's army?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How to crush an Iron Warrior's army?

In the near future, I will play my first game. It will likely be combat patrol becuase we've agreed (my opponent and I) to a 500 point game. I'm discovering that it is very difficult to balance a Tau army at 500 points. I was hoping to get some advice and have my load-out critiqued for flaws.

Concerning my enemy: Iron Warriors (which I think is CSM) who plans to bring one Obliterator, an LT, two squads and perhaps a Heavy Weapons squad. That's about all I know concerning his sortie.

Given what we know about my future opponent; this is what I've come up with for a couple load-outs.

Now, keep in mind that I've never played a game before and this may not be a viable or legal load-out for any game forget against CSM Iron Warriors with Obliterators.

v/r
JD

~Shas丹 Helios (I think this means Plasma and Fusion) w/ TA, Shields (I知 not certain that is a legal config)
~12 FW w/ Pulse Rifles; Shas置i
~12 FW w/ Pulse Rifles; Shas置i
~4 XV 25

OR
~Shas弾l Helios w/TL, Shields
~10 FW w/Pulse Rifle; Shas置i
~10 FW w/Pulse Rifle; Shas置i
~Broadside TL Rail; SMS; TL
~3 XV 25

I've considered shield drones for the Broadside, but I feel like that would be too many points spent on one unit in a small army.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 21:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How to crush an Iron Warrior's army?

Take as many battlesuits as possible, keep them moving and use your mandatory 12 FW (2 six man squads) to lure the bulk of his army into a charge (maybe put a crisis near them to makeit more enticing) then when he gets to them hope that it is as lethal as possible to your FWs so that you can shoot he marines again next turn.

lots of suits are essentil in a game like this, take a broadside too, this will destroy the obliterator (hopefully before he destroys you) and if you give it Plasmas then it sould be some use against the marines too.

P.S. What is an LT? (I don't play chaos)

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 20 Aug 2006, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well if your are playing Combat Patrol then you can't take Broadsides because you cant have models with 2+ saves.

My friend plays IW and he hardly ever charges because they are resonably good at shooting and beeing iron warriors they prefer shooting. He also always packs a tank in and in a standard 500point it usually a good tank from Imperial Guard that has the potential to destroy my plans.

However if you just doing a standard 500point then i would take at least one broadside and concentrate all fire on priorities. These also work as pretty good fire magnets which mean over all you will have more shots each turn from not having your fire warriors taken out. I also have less fire warriors and add either a Devilfish to give a lot more manoeuvrability for capturing objectives and such. Otherwise i would add either some Crisis battlesuits or a Piranha to stop anything getting too close to my battle line.

Hope that helps.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 04:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm kind of surprised no one pointed this out. Shas'O can't have a targeting array. Check your codex to see why(hint, he already has max BS).

Now a multi tracker on the Shas'O would be a good investment.

You are not required to take a 12 man squad, in such a small game where mobility is key take only one of six. Nothing fancy for them. Spend these points on piranahs or suits.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 04:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

You should most CERTAINLY play using combat patrol rules in a 500 point game... if not, he'll have defilers, predators, and whatnot, making the game a trip into cheese.

If you do use combat patrol, you also know much more readily what to expect. I would reccomend not taking static fw's, and instead mounting them and running them up a flank. Then, invest the rest of your points in various crisis suits to your liking, and blast him to pieces while presenting no real battle line for him to return fire at. Minimize how much he can damage you, and you'll win.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Chaos cheese isn't too hard to amnage at 500 points without combat patrol. My friend and I played several 500 point non CP games that I won evel with the defiler, I had a railhead (only because I didn't have a broadside model, the BS is a much better choice for its role) usually his defiler busted my railhead early ( due to indirect fire, I only later read about the halving of strength for template weapons which scatter too far which would have meant my hammerhead was completely safe but I won anyway ) Most of the time it was my Missile pod armaed suits that took out the defiler, go for the back armour.

In smaller games with the battle suits' agility it is vary easy to win; If there is enough cover your suits should never be targeted. Satic infantry generally don't survive long (on either side) and the crisis suits can really devastate him without the possibilty of return fire (JSJ). Just get used to using cover.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

also, if you're plaing combat patrol, he can't take obits as they have 2+ sv

i think he can still brink the basilisk tho
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Now, as I'm very new, I have no idea where to find the rules for combat patrol. Where might one find such rules?

Additionally, what would you guys add/subtract from my posted armies for standard and combat patrol games?
Old 21 Aug 2006, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

it's in the hard cover ruele book... not sure if it's in the maccrage rule book or not
Old 22 Aug 2006, 01:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, when it comes to that Shas'O, I would definately take out the TA, as +1 BS still means you hit on a 2+. This is how I'd re-organize your first list:

Shas'O, Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro Thrusters, H/W Multi Tracker, Stimms - 132

8 FWs, 'Ui, Markerlight, H/W Target Lock, Bonding Knife, Photon Grenades - 118

8 FWs, 'Ui, Markerlight, H/W Target lock, Bonding Knife, Photon Grenades - 118

4 Stealth, Team Leader, Bonding Knife - 130

This list is a bit better, in my opinion. It'll stand up to assault alright with the VRT and stimms on the Shas'O, meaning he'll more than likely live long enough to jump out after, and the PGs on the small FW teams, cutting those attacks in half for the most part if you get charged. Note the MLs in each FW unit. Use those to mark for the SS unit, try to get them up to BS 5 so they hit like the Shas'O, and generally run the SS and Shas'O together, working in a small base around the FW teams. Don't stray too far, because you'll need to protect those FWs until only big things are left.

The second list looks good but for 2 things: 1) switch the 'El and BS TL to a MT, as independant suits, there's no need for a TL (not illegal, just mostly a waste of points) and 2) Take out 2 FWs from each team, and again, load those 'Uis up with a Markerlight, this time for your BS (and occasionally the SS), and add a Bonding Knife and Target Lock. Should still be 110 for them.

And then I would definately recommend the second list over the first if you made those changes, esp. vs Iron Warriors, the other list might be a bit better against a more assaulty army, although use the second, and if you get assaulted by him and he doesn't bring any massive vehicles, then I would switch to the other list, next time.

Don't forget to use those markerlights!!!!
Closed Thread