Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Arc of fire for vehicle mounted drones?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Aug 2006, 19:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Arc of fire for vehicle mounted drones?

This was something that came up the other day and although didn't apply to the game I was playing at the time left me wondering what a fair ruling was on the issue.

What is the Arc of Fire for Gun Drones mounted on a vehicle? My assumption was that they can turn a full 360 degrees. If 360 degrees is correct can they have their line of site/arc of fire be blocked by the body of the vehicle itself or the drone on the opposite side?

Another related question was another issue that I had always assumed related to SMS and Arc of Fire. I had assumed that not needing LOS would precede any Arc of Fire ruling, thus enabling you to fire the SMS in any direction. Is this correct or was my interpretation flawed?

I have yet to use mounted Burst Cannons but I assume that the same questions would apply to them as well regarding Arc of Fire.

I'm not looking for any stretch of the rules, just some comon sense fair-play opinions and/or specific locations in the rule book or codex that would clear it up for me. Thanks.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Arc of fire for vehicle mounted drones?

There's no official statement on arc of attached drones (and similarly, burst cannons in the same position).

With regard to SMS, arc of fire is irrelevant, as you've described. Since you don't need LOS, it doesn't matter.

Some people might argue that drones/attached BCs are technically "sponson" weapons, and that thus they can only fire on the 180-degree arc on which they are mounted.

I disagree with this, though. Since I can demonstrate to anyone that on the model, the weapons can turn a full 360-degrees, and since skimmers never block line of sight, I argue that they can fire 360-degrees. My opponents agree to this. However, it should be pointed out that the chin-mounted burst cannon on a devilfish cannot swivel 360-degrees (when modeled 'by the book&#39 and I argue that it can only fire in the 180-degree forward arc. That is, to my mind, consistent.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use the rules for sidesponsons for the Gundrones and Burst Canons . It's quick, clear , and keeps players from getting creative with LOS on Tau tanks .

The Smart Missile System : Just be in range of one of the missile pods on either side of the tank. A little odd but it is the only weapon I know of that has two pods for a single weapon .

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

this was an old argument a loong time ago in here, and Here is the best interpretation that I got from the 8 pages of reading : :

The drone cradle mounts, whether carrying gun drones or burst cannons, always have a full 360 degree firing arc, and have no blind spots... it is assumed that the tanks' fire control computers tilt the hovering tank just enough to present a clear line of sight to the target for both cradle weapons under the belly of the hull.

...To represent this in WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), I recommend you invest in some of those neat gimble flying mount attachments that come with SM landspeeders (once I saw them I immediately wondered why Tau models didnt have them!), so that you can physically tilt the tank this way or that on its flying base.

;D In fact I recommend you get them anyways, because a veering Devilfish tilted in a sharp bank, or a RailHead rushing in nose-down very menacingly just plain looks COOL!!!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
...To represent this in WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), I recommend you invest in some of those neat gimble flying mount attachments that come with SM landspeeders (once I saw them I immediately wondered why Tau models didnt have them!), so that you can physically tilt the tank this way or that on its flying base.
Could you giave me a link?

Thanks.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 21 Aug 2006, 17:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers

Could you give me a link?
Oh, MAN! for the last 45 minutes Ive been searching the online store for the tiltable flying base (maybe eBay?), and cant find it anywhere!! Sorry. For those more adept at digging up GW bits references, here are some pics of what I'm talking about (and the last pic fits neatly on topic, regarding firing arcs!)

Here are the bits, unassembled, out of a land speeder kit

And here it is assembled, at a 45 degree tilt

And this proves that its sturdy enough to hold up a hammerhead, while at the same time demonstrating the SMS's 360 degree field of fire!

I myself would love to get my hnds on a few more of these, and theres GOT to be a better way than kit-bashing land speeder kits to get them!