Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help in taking out a daemon prince in 1000 pts!
Closed Thread
Old 19 Aug 2006, 21:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Need help in taking out a daemon prince in 1000 pts!

Does anyone have any strategies in dealing with Daemon Princes in 1000pt games? I played a game yesterday and got crushed...partly because of bad dice rolls, and my railhead dealing with other things...I did take 4 plasma rifles, but they only gave him 2 wounds before the game ended.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Need help in taking out a daemon prince in 1000 pts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderous
Does anyone have any strategies in dealing with Daemon Princes in 1000pt games? I played a game yesterday and got crushed...partly because of bad dice rolls, and my railhead dealing with other things...I did take 4 plasma rifles, but they only gave him 2 wounds before the game ended.
Is this a Statured Daemon Prince?

It's possible to have a daemon prince without stature. They're far more difficult to deal with. And if that's the case, just use a well placed fusion blaster (it will instakill if he fails an invulnerable save). But a Daemon Prince with Stature, ie: Monstrous Creature is a common occurrence and Tau are well equipped for their removal.

In tournaments, we must have Railguns nearly because of nasty Statured Speed Lords like this.

The XV88 is your best friend. Two of them will remove a Daemon Prince (with stature) very quickly.

Remember, a Daemon Prince with T5(6) is insta-killable by a single railgun shot. They are T5 with a buff to 6, the 6 is not counted for instakill purposes. The T5 is counted for instakill, therefore, your Railgun toasts them.

The Railhead will do the job, but a single invulnerable save can stop it. Two railguns, will do it more reliably, and fast. XV88 Broadsides are perfect for this. Plasma is generally not worth it. You will only wound a T6 prince 50% of the time with plasma and you pay a huge price for it. Fusion Blasters are more effective and reliable for that, if you're in a pinch.

Cheers!
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

No but he said he put a gift on there that allowed him, instead of getting instant-killed, take one wound. Is there such a thing or is that bs? And yes he is statured.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That would be Daemonic Rune, and yes, it exists. It, however, takes up roughly 1/3 of his Daemonic Wargear allowance.

MalVeauX is spot on, rail him to death.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderous
No but he said he put a gift on there that allowed him, instead of getting instant-killed, take one wound. Is there such a thing or is that bs? And yes he is statured.
Oh, so he's running a big Daemon Prince, with stature and a Daemonic Rune then? That's a mighty expensive way to protect himself from you then. That's a huge cost for very little, but he can withstand your attacks with the Rune (it prevents instant death).

You're still best off just covering him with Railguns and Fusion if within range. He can only have 4 wounds, at maximum, so you'll have to deal 4 very solid wounds.

If you cannot kill him fast enough, throw Kroot in this path and make him munch through Kroot on his (wait for him to assault your Kroot) assault turn (so that he is out of combat when the Kroot lose and flee, and then you take more shots at the Prince on your turn perhaps).

-- On that note, I would make 100% sure that his character is legal. If he's playing 1k and using a Rune, I'd be interested to know what else he's using on that character (and which movement enhancement mode he's using) and which marks he's using. Call me suspcious.

Cheers!
Old 19 Aug 2006, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Like others have said, spend the first turn railgunning him and in the second get some suits up close with FBs to upport the second round of railguns.

If he's investing that many points in one character you shouldn't have too much else to deal with on turn one and two.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 19 Aug 2006, 23:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Along Mal's line. Make sure you find how if he's using a lord, or a LT. they have different limitations on them amount of gifts and gears they can have.... so make sure he's not bs'ing you with a lord with 200 pts worth of gear.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 07:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

Get every single railgun in range on him. it's your only chance.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 09:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If (mighty big IF, don't see why he wouldn't) he doesn't use Daemon armour on his lord, and has speed (thus he can't be in terminator armour), then your Ion Cannons can also do very well wounding him, especially if he has stature and the rune (thus railguns can't instakill). less capable but also useful in this case would be sniper drones. Problem is that its only 5 or 10 points more than terminator armour to have the daemon versions, which while not letting you wield heavies while walking, give you the same saves and let you also grab a movement boost wargear/equip/power.

But I've only met one person who didn't have Daemon Armour on his lord or Lt so far (mind you I'm not that experienced). Still, with Armour, Stature and the rune, we're already talking 70 points and he's not even armed yet. If its an Lt he's already illegal by 20 or 30 points since not all the points allotment can be taken by gifts (think its two thirds).
Old 20 Aug 2006, 19:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

i could be wrong, but i think that the daemonic rune only works once, so basicly you would have to instikill him twice. mabee i am wrong though, i just overheard someone talking about it recently.
Closed Thread