Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Firewarrors and Carbines
Closed Thread
Old 19 Aug 2006, 07:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Firewarrors and Carbines

I will have 3 full units of firewarrors in my army and 2 of them have fish. What i was wondering is if i should give the unit without a fish Carbines so thay have a 18" range and can still fire on the move. I probbly will be moveing them every turn and i have the 2 other units for long range. I think it would be handy. What do you folks think?
Old 19 Aug 2006, 08:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123
Default Re: Firewarrors and Carbines

I think it would be awesome. they would be excellent for capturing objectives. they would just charge at the objectives, blowing anything in their way apart.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 09:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sounds like a good idea. You may occasionlly want to try swapping round, put 6 carbines in each fish along with six rifles, and try a unit with rifles on table, perhaps as an honour guard or with marker drones, but for most occasions I think twelve carbines would be a fantastic unit to have, and probably the best way to use unmounted FW in objective based missions.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 09:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Changing the rules for number of carbines allowed in a FW squad was one of the best improvements made in the new Tau Empire codex.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 10:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

It sounds good but in reality it's not alot of armies out there ether are fearless or have fearless units and have a good ld to make the ld checks for pinning and our carbines just doesnt cut power armor to make it effective.

Old 19 Aug 2006, 10:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The ability to move and fire can be invaluable in certain situations. In some cases being able to deploy behind a devilfish and shoot from 18" instead of 12" is good too, especially against Nids.

This unit will have more chance of pinning those that can be pinned than any other. I've pinned space marine bikers before now.

But mostly the pinning aspect is not very good in my opinion also.

I believe it would have been fairer to give the carbines 24" range as a trade-off for not being rapid fire, but then, there are even cases where this unit of 12 carbines might shoot then charge, if it is a choice between that or being charged.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 15:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Firewarriors in a devilfish should always have carbines. With rifles their normal movement/firing is at risk, as with the devilfish's lack of firing slots your troops must disembark to shoot (counting as your movement and forcing your firing range down to 12").

With the new updated Tau Empire codex I have come to have a real liking for carbines, as now whole squads can take them, and if I'm correct, you don't have to pay for them anymore (it being in the old codex you had to pay extra for carbines?). However, most of my firewarrior models were purchased before the new 'dex, and as a result none of them have carbines (I just never bothered).

For the most part this is what I rely on:

Firewarriors w/transport/needed movement capabilties- Carbines
Firewarriors without transport/no need for continued movement- Rifles

The both offer their own thing, but carbines are just better for movin' around (and that is what you said you were going to be doing a lot).
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 15:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Toast, I realy think you've got that backwards...

First off, you never had to pay for carbines... however, you didn't get full squads before.

Also, units in Devilfishes should carry rifles - the point of Rapid Fire is to bail out and fire at CQB range, generating much more fire. Units on foot with Carbines makes much more sense, as they can move and not sacrifice firing opportunities - indeed, they can generate more by moving into range.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 15:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

the all carbine idea would work great for capturing objectives. I say go for it, maybe even give them a fish from one of the rifle units?

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Old 19 Aug 2006, 15:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
First off, you never had to pay for carbines...
Ah, okay. I lost my old Tau codex and for some reason thought you had to pay extra for the carbines (just kind of seemed that way as only a few could take them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Also, units in Devilfishes should carry rifles - the point of Rapid Fire is to bail out and fire at CQB range, generating much more fire. Units on foot with Carbines makes much more sense, as they can move and not sacrifice firing opportunities - indeed, they can generate more by moving into range.
For the most part I just go with carbines in a devilfish, just because you don't have to worry about the 12" range after disembarking. However, if you can get within 12" it doubles to 2 shots per model so it is pretty good if you can get your vehicles up that close without getting shot down.

Another thing I find devifish useful for w/rifle Firewarriors is the pure movement capabilities. Moving Firewarriors on foot counts them as shooting at 12", so the tranport is much better, it gets them further (+6" per turn), which while still forcing them to shoot at 12", gets them to their needed firing point quicker, allowing 2x more shots at maximum range then if they were travelling on foot (2x movement=2x more turns of shooting when done moving).
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Closed Thread