Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth, markerlights, jump moves
Closed Thread
Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Stealth, markerlights, jump moves

The FAQ for the old codex stated that a jump move is possible for a stealth suit that has fired a marklight, but only in the assault phase. And not to actually assault, just to move.

This was for the 3rd edition codex, but 4th edition rules.

The new FAQ makes no mention of it. Do people still use this rule?

Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Stealth, markerlights, jump moves

Im not sure, but my question is why would u give them a marker drone...imo you should only give it to thinks that you dont plan on moivng, in my case that would be a broadside team...I give them 1 marker drone and 3 shield drones.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not a marker drone, a markerlight.

And while on the subject of drones too, you might give it to them so your markerlight/drones were stealth-shielded, or, assuming a jump move is allowed after firing makerlights, so that the whole unit does get a move.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Drones gain the movement mode of their controllers, unless alone in a squadron (gundrones only) where they're then still jetpack infantry.

So a marker drone should also be getting to fire then jump, just like a stealth with markerlight.

It wasn't addressed here because it was addressed before. I think.

Though I wouldn't trust that new FAQ anywhere near as far as I can throw the usb key its on...
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's my interpretation, and though it's not stated anywhere but the FAQ for Cocex Tau, I'm glad people agree the rule about jumping after markerlighting is still in effect.

Naturally, it works for maker drones too. You would have thought it would have been stated in the new codex, really.

Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yea but u cant lepfrog around cover and fire it ;/ I mean yea you have the stealth field gen but still.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Never will I ever put markerlights on stealthsuits, so problem sorted.

However, It seems to me that markerlights are heavy weapons, so in order to use them, the unit cannot move during that turn unless it was stabilized (like terminators) or had slow and purposeful. A squad of devastators, for instance, could not fire their lascannons at a tank before assaulting it to plant meltabombs. So why should stealthsuits be able to shoot a heavy weapon and still assault?

On the same track, the FAQ tells us that you cannot assault with your jetpack after arriving via deepstrike. Therefore, the consistent theme here is; a tau unit with a jetpack may always assault during the assault phase, even if not into combat, unless some other rule would override this.

*edit;

It seems that a previous FAQ says that stealths can, in fact, jump after firing markerlights. It makes no sense whatsoever that maker DRONES cannot do so, however... and the two rules seem to completely contradict one another.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 19:04   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It would only seem to make sense that if the rule exsisted to let them shoot then make the assult move in the past existed and no rule has said you no longer can that this rule could/should still be used.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 19:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

On the subject of drones... If you have three broad sides (One is a shas'vre) with drone controllers, do you get six drones? Im just a bit confused, cause the drone controller is in the supoprt system section, with the drones in the wargear list. I think it is if you have one guy with acess to the wargear list they all get drones...?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 19:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The old FAQ was very clear.

I think the reason it's different for actual assaulting is that assault weapons are considered to be firing as the charge is happening, even though the turn is broken into distinct phases, it is meant to simulate screaming and shooting as the charge occurs. Hence you can't shoot one unit then charge another.

Ditto for shooting after movement. Rapid fire weapons can only move and shoot at short range, when they are fired "from the hip," as the unit moves, not at long range when careful aim is taken. The stable firing platform that jetpacks talk about slightly modifies this.

Heavy weapons don't fit into these categories, at no point can they be shooting whilst moving.

The ruling was made for markerlights because they are classed heavy but aren't physically, they just take a long time to set up and find their mark it's careful shooting, so no screaming charge is happening.

But once that mark is found, a jet pack move is able to be made. This simulates the jet packs manouverability, but does not simulate a charge that would have gone on whilst shooting. This move can be considered to happen during the time that other troops would be slogging it out in actual hand to hand.

Seeing as it was in the FAQ released after 4th edition, but before codex Tau Empire, and no rule has overidden in yet, I assumed it was still in effect. Just wanted to see if anyone had any info to the contrary.