Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Do You Use Sniper Drones?
View Poll Results: Do you use sniper drones?
Yes, every game. 13 27.08%
Sometimes. 17 35.42%
No, never. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 17 Aug 2006, 03:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Do You Use Sniper Drones?

Simple question: do you use Sniper Drones? Please vote and post.

I've searched for this and didn't find much of anything, but then, many things come up when "Drones" is in the search query. Basically, I want to know if you use Sniper Drones in your army or not, how often you use them, why, etc. I'm really just looking for some conversation about Sniper Drones.

I use them in every game I play, usually maxed out. Why? Because they provide valuable SMurf/AP3 firepower that's inexpensive and more effecient than Seeker Missiles or Hammerheads. The stealth field minimizes return fire, so they are survivable. They have reasonably good range, so I can sit in the back with my static army (which I play because I suck mobile warfare, and there are tons of anti-tank weaponry in my opponents' armies) and plink away at the nigh-unstopable 3+ save of Marines and Necrons (Marines are the majority, by far, that I play against).

So again, thoughts and opinions please. Thanks in advance.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 17 Aug 2006, 03:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Do You Use Sniper Drones?

In a static army, sniper drones fit right in nicely. However, in a full mech army like how I play, they can't run away from assault troops, and will quickly be overrun.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 05:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I used to think that they're fly but after using a single squad of them (a trio of proxy conversions, no less) in a couple of games I decided to stop. They really kind of suck.

A single squad of sniper drones pump out too little shots a turn, so they're not really maximizing use of your heavy support slot unless you get three squads. and then there's the money issue: a pack of these little guys (four models. count em, FOUR) cost 40 bucks.

3 of these is 120 bucks without tax. that's 2 hammerheads and a pair of stealthsuits.

You decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 07:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I Almost always use 'em, and ALWAYS all 3 that you can take. that's 9 shots/turn +3 bs4 markerlights. 9 shots that almost nobody gets a save against.... always nice. if you read my sig, you'll see SOME (not all, I'll amend it after next game) of their accomplishments. I only have one actual team, the other 2 are proxy, but nobody seems to care, since we are all ok with people proxying in units to test them out or until you can buy them, or just for the heck of it. To sum it all up, they are a cheap, accurate (most of the time) source of markerlights and Rail Rifle shots. Oh, yea, and did I mention that they also have a Stealth Field?

Effective against: Almost everything, less effective against hoarde armies that your standard weapons don't allow their saves (IE: nids, orks), etc. Here's where they ARE effective against such armies: You need that Hive Tyrant or other large beastie dead NOW? A full compliment of Sniper Drones should put the hurt on large beasties. Against orks? How about the ability to take out 9 trukks from that one Sniper Drone FoC. (keep in mind that that will probably never happen, as you need to roll the dice )

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And the drones within a squad can't fire at a seperate target!

I have only tried sniper drones once, (blitz) and they worked briliently. I only had one squad, as I used it for a points filler, and it worked very well. My opponant ignored them compleatly, as they are too much hastle to take out, and yet they keep on picking away... I would certainly take them more often! There's just one problem: There's so much other cool stuff, and I run a mechanised/slightly hybrid army.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i have some but ive yet to use them
maby ill use them in my next game

Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Looking good, maybe Ill put some in my list.

Trouble is that Its going to be either a hammerhead or broadsides that got to go.

Or I will have to redo my list and drop all the vehicles
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I'd "like" to use them. But can't find 80 points that I'd rather spend on a single set of 4 of them, let alone the full 240 for 3 squads. The cost is just too high to be worth it for me.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Haven't used 'em, but looking forward to it. Planning on 2 squads, and having them 24" apart, with my Shas'O with C&C Node right between them. Now Target Priority is no problem. They'll take out anything that needs it. So my fireline will be 3x8FWs, with the Shas'O in the middle, with sniper teams on either end, and 4 PFs behind the Shas'O (with 2 more RRs in there.)
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i've wanted to try them for a while but i am the only one in my gmaing group that has a big enough army that i could use them effectively.