Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Batrep] and fluff; Tau vs Necrons
Closed Thread
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default [Batrep] and fluff; Tau vs Necrons

Shas'o Bork'an Khald'un Surveyed the darkened landscape before him. His forces had been exploring the dead world of Q-15, and a scouting cadre had gone out of contact in this area, so he wasn't going to be taking any chances. What appeared to be ancient, unknown ruins lay ahead. Morning would come soon, and with it the opportunity to further explore the ruins. Khald'un was thinking to himself about what mysteries might lay under such ruins, when his scouts began to report that some very strange readings had just been registered from underneath the ruins, and that unknown contacts had suddenly appeared out of nowhere ahead of them, and were advancing. Khald'un began frantically relaying orders to his cadre to prepare for battle. Whatever they were, the contacts were probably responsible for the loss of the scout cadre...

This was a 1500 point cleanse mission, gamma level. Thus, the first turn would be fought with the nightfight rules, and all turns thereafter normally. My tau list was as follows;

Shas'o khald'un in helios configuration
10 firewarriors in a devilfish with TA, decoy, multi.
20 kroot
3 crisis burning eye
6 stealth
1 piranha w/ fusion, TA, decoy
1 piranha w/ fusion, TA, decoy
8 pathfinders+shas'ui
warfish; decoy, multi, sms, TA
1 railhead with burst, decoy, multi, target
1 ionhead with burst, decoy, multi, target

The necron list;
necron lord with res orb, veil
18 warriors
17 warriors
8 immortals
3 wraiths
3 wraiths
4 destroyers

Here is a link to the table, before deployment;

The necrons won the roll to pick quarters, and the tau deployed first. After deployment, the table looked as follows; (with the kroot and stealths infiltrating)

After winning the roll for first turn, the tau chose to take first turn. The piranhas moved to cover opposite flanks, the ionhead moves back to get out of range, and the warfish moves forward to get into range. After all of the shooting is said and done, only one necron stays down.

Necron first turn;
The necrons move forward across the board, using the cover of darkness to get into position. The destroyers, hearing the sound of the advancing piranha, move forward to try and spot it, but fail to pinpoint it in the evaporating darkness. The immortals, however, are more successful at piercing the darkness, and the warfish get's critically hit before crumpling to the ground.

Tau turn two
The tau respond to the loss of the warfish by concentrating all of their firepower on the advancing necron warriors. Aided by the pathfinder's markerlights, the stealthsuits score 12 wounds, the railhead scores 8, the kroot score 9, the ionhead whiffs completely (triple ones!) and the commander and crisis cause 3 armor piercing wounds. When the dust clears, more than half of the necron squad has been smashed to the ground, and the remaining necrons make a tactical withdraw from the battlefield, unable to regroup. (the necrons that resurrect will join the other, larger squad because it's closest, not allowing the first squad to regroup because it is still below half.) All in all, 12 necrons are lost after WBB. A few drones disembark, and two of them manage to luckily down a destroyer... but with stunning speed, the destroyed machine regenerates and regions the fight.

Necron turn two;
Truly understanding the degree of firepower arrayed before him, the necron lord takes steps to take the fight to the enemy. The immortals advance to secure the flank, and hopefully destroy either the stealth suits or kroot. The remaining uber squad of necrons attempts to teleport into the middle to advance, but the necron lord has been asleep for millions of years, and the teleport ends up only moving the squad forward 4 inches. The wraiths advance to hide behind the wrecked vehicle, but not before wiping out the nearby drones. The destroyers advance 12" to begin hunting down the elusive piranha, stopping only to eliminate the pathetic machines arrayed in front of them, completely annihilating the pesky drones in an instant.

Tau turn 3;
Khald'un witnessed first hand the destruction of the gun drones, and quickly gave orders to counter the necron advance. The destroyers had been lured quite nicely into the open, and moving the hammerheads into posistion, and whipping the piranha around the corner, the three vehicles quickly reduced the destroyers to molten slag. At the same time, the devilfish and hammerheads manuevered to protect the battlesuit mounted shas'uis from the advancing wraiths, making sure that no wraith would get past alive. Meanwhile the kroot and stealths, backed up by the pathfinders, continue to pound away at the advancing necron warriors. However, the necrons were slowly but surely becoming more powerful as they shrugged off their eons-long sleep, and only 2 out of 8 necrons stayed down for good.

Necron turn 3;
Surprised by the loss of the destroyers, the necron lord spotted the tau commander only a few scant yards away. With but a silent gesture, he ordered his warriors forward, before eerily appearing directly in front of the Shas'o. A quick blast from the lord's staff burned deeply into the battlesuit, and knocked off a wound. Before Khaldun could fully recover, the wraiths moved in and overwhelmed him, only stopping their attacks after he stopped moving. The wraiths consolodated into the woods, and had the kroot in their sight now. (Damn me for forgetting to assault back and hide!)

Tau turn 4;
Seeing their commander fall to the wraiths, the cadre moved to secure his battlesuit and, if possible, save their commander from his grevious wounds. All tau units converged on the wraiths, except for the railhead and the stealthsuits, who targeted the lord's unit. The wraiths, completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of shots, all fell to the ground in pieces. The necron lord's unit, clumped as closely as possible after teleporting, fit nicely under the submunition blast from the hammerhead, which inflicted 19 wounds. A further 7 wounds came from the stealthsuits, and the game was called before rolling for armor saves. A victorious slaughter for the tau.

The necrons are assumed to have phased out, and the tau to have lost 4 drones, a shas'o, and a warfish.

If the game had been part of a campaign, the commander could be understood to earn experience on a roll of a 4+, representing him being saved by medical attention, just being that tough, etc. (not eligible if instantly killed or overkilled) A quick roll of a 4 later, and for fluff purposes, khaldun would eventually recover.

Blasting aside some of the last enemies left, the fire warriors advanced, pouring unceasing fire into the remaining metallic warriors. Sensing that the day was lost, the necron lord teleported his remaining units out of the battle, and thus the field belonged to the tau. From an earth caste medevac not far from the front line, khaldun watched as his warriors stormed into the ruins. There, they found no trace at all of the lost cadre, but instead row after unceasing row of sleeping necrons. Many of the necrons were grieviously wounded, but slowly regenerating... Planting numerous explosive devices, the tau demolished the underground structures, thus destroying the necrons here for good. However, there was still much more of Q-15 to be explored, and other, similar ruins had been located across the world. There was still very much work to be done...
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: [Batrep] and fluff; Tau vs Necrons

Nice Battle Report, especially with the pics. They always add quite a bit to a report. In addition it would seem you were successful, congrats and keep up the good work.

Have a karma cookie

Old 16 Aug 2006, 16:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Best.
Use.
Of.
ImageShack.

Evar.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well done on the win, and the battle report, ppl who write this kind of stuff up should always get a cookie

i was a little confused, there was like 50 million armor saves to be made at the end there.... how many necrons were left that there seemed to be no way for them to avoid phase out?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The game was called before rolling for armor saves, so we can't know whether or not the necrons would have phased out before turn 4.

Before this battle, I had thought that pathfinders would never be able to survive or be useful in a mechanized tau army. After this battle, however, I realize that pathfinders can fit just fine in a mech army, due to their scout move and transport. Assaulters aren't really a big issue because the warfish can come and scoop them up, and shooting is often outranged, and therefore not a big threat. I'll be continuing to use them and experiment more with them until I get a better feel for them, but for now I'm convinced that they can fit into a mech army.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 04:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great victory Khaldun. Good fluff to go along with it and great. Good job beating the Necrons, to bad it was called on time. that is always agrivating.

Old 17 Aug 2006, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It wasn't aggravating, because to continue at that point, one would have to ask... to what end? the battle was essentially over at that point. Sometimes it is better to simply call it.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 05:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
It wasn't aggravating, because to continue at that point, one would have to ask... to what end? the battle was essentially over at that point. Sometimes it is better to simply call it.
True but I personally like to fight my battles through. This is however mostly due to the fact that many opponents I have to face are slimy cowards who try to call games early to avoid defeat. Other times it doesnt hurt to admit to and accept defeat graciously.

On the other hand sometimes its just plain fun to fight a battle through. You never know what crazy things might happen even if it seems asured that one side will lose you never know even if they do lose something insane, ironic and very fun might end up happening. Like a lone Firewarrior killing a Chaos Lord in cc. Ive seen it happen.

Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

... For me, unless I am needed elsewhere (by girlfriend, or otherwise), or the place is closing, I try to finish the game no matter how badly I am losing. I figure that at least it 1.) allows me to fight for the 1 in a million chance to turn the game around, and 2.) gives the opponent the victory every player deserves.

I rather expect the same of my opponent. If the opponent wants to stop early, the only way I accept is either he calls it a loss for himself. If he wants to quit, then we'll just call it quits but I wont recognize any result from the game.

Necrons are such headaches for me usually. Played by a competent player, his destroyers and tellyporting immortals can vaporize your firewarriors/glance tanks in a hurry while ranging scarabs lock your broadsides in drawn out CC. All the while the massed ranks of warriors advances and/or take long range shots at tanks. Most of my wins against them have been by concentrating on the objective and hope the bell saves me
Old 18 Aug 2006, 00:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, if anyone is a necron player or knows a bit about 'crons, then please see this thread here;

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=30537.0

Any assistance appreciated very much!