Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Static Tau?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Aug 2006, 07:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Static Tau?

I recently got told on another forum, that if you go with tau...as you learn, you eventually go hybrid or mechanised...is that true?

Seems to me that loads of firewarriors (which is one of the best troop choices in the game) should be able to do well. Whats wrong with the 72+ firewarrior army? Can it work? Whats the general opinion on this?
Old 15 Aug 2006, 08:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Static Tau?

List discussions on the internet are almost always assumed to be in the context of a tournament metagame, and static armies tend to do miserably in tournaments.

The most popular armies in no-comp tournaments at the moment are Iron Warriors, Assault Cannon-heavy Marines, Mechanized, Alatoic, or Seer Council Eldar, Mechanized Tau, Armored Company (or other tank-heavy Guard), and some others. Static armies, and static Tau in particular, don't do well against any of them.

Iron Warriors simply eat you alive. S5 guns just don't dent T5 2+ saves and AV12+ vehicle armor. They're dropping pie plate after pie plate on you and you simply can't inflict casualties with anything outside of your Heavy Support and Elite slots. Points spent on Troops slots are points wasted, generally speaking. Iron Warriors armies also come equipped with a big nasty Daemon Prince, and he loves Fire Warriors outside of transports.

Marines are a particularly nasty opponent, and they're a particularly popular one. Land Speeder Tornados (of which every Marine list has at least 2 or 3) make back half their points with a single round of fire on a Fire Warrior squad. Drop Podding Marines get really close and inflict quite a few casualties, and Fire Warriors simply can't kill them fast enough. Termies landing in your lines do horrible things too. Worst of all, Librarians with Fear of the Dark or Fury of the Ancients absolutely destroy your firing line - Fear of the Dark can easily send more than half of your groundpounding units running for the board edge.

Mechanized Tau and Mechanized Eldar are simply immune to your guns. All that S5 is nice, but they're presenting nothing but AV12+ armor. With a Devilfish, you'd stand a chance of getting around back to shoot at rear armor, or maneuvering to shoot at the few things they have outside of vehicles. Mech Tau has a bunch of AP4 pie plates to launch at you, and their Fire Warriors are getting first strike on yours. Mech Eldar are landing units with 3 flamers, one of which is AP4, right next to you.

Alatoic simply shoots at, Pins, and forces your Fire Warriors to start in Reserve - all before the game starts. That was fun. Ulthwe is harder to shoot your way through than is a horde of Sisters, and you can't run away from the three Wraithlords.

Armored Company just ignores the Fire Warriors like the other mechanized lists.

Static Tau would work wonders against a wide variety of lists. However, none of these lists are that good, and none of them are very popular at tournaments. They'd do quite well against anything but Speed Freak Orks, against footslogging (non-Ulthwe) Eldar, against Marines without Librarians or Tornados, against quite a few Chaos builds, against infantry-heavy Guard, and against most of the Inquisition.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 14:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika

I would disagree with that one.

A static Tau force is complitely viable choise, thought I has dificulties with certain of the more popular 'types' of tournament armies.
But this means that the list itself is well planned. 72+ fire warriors isn't really good way of the reasons mentioned above. The list should also contain a number of kroots, sniper teams and broadsides. Which will contribute hugely to the force.
Also, If your catogerisation of static tau allows you to use suits, well, then the TL MP Crisis will be your friend as drones too.

Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

i would say if you are going to play static tau, you should probobly include at least one full squad of kroot. placing a meat wall in the woods near your firing line is good insurance against assault and can block enemy infiltrators from getting too close. i suggest a mix at least though.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 16:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

When I think of static elements, I do have a hard time justifying a large point sink for units that can't reposition easily.

Small units however, are ideal for creating defendable positions for your more mobile elements to use as temporary bases. They don't cost that much either, and are easier to sacrifice if need be. Therefore I like sniper drones and small FW squads(or kroot/gue'la) in 2-3 seperate small firebases.

The only time I'll do a large contingent of FW's is when I run Aun'va and Shadowsun in a 2000+ point game. Then I let Aun'va get killed and the FW use Shadowsuns LD to test. Voila I now have FW who are good in HtH. I usually give em carbines so they can shoot while falling back and cause pinning.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 16:13   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Kroot are the most worthless thing you can put in a Tau army. I have no idea why people even mention them. You don't see hardly any in our area because they just get shot into and run off the table. Nice way to waste points.

FireWarriors are the base of the Tau force and should be used as much as possible. I like to run 4 units of 10.

Now the thing is people get board of the static Tau because you don't really do a lot of moving. I've seen a bunch of people say Mobile Tau is the only way to go. I think Mobile Tau is just plain dumb. You waste points in transports that really don't have any good weapons.

I like a balance of mobility and static with the majority being static. Like I said you can't beat having to many FireWarriors.

I've killed Decievers with them. I've also beat an Avatar with my FW's in hth.

Shane I think 72 is just way to many. At a base cost that is 720 points and almost half your points. I honestly believe the FW's hold the line and the Suits win you the game.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 16:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
When I think of static elements, I do have a hard time justifying a large point sink for units that can't reposition easily.

Small units however, are ideal for creating defendable positions for your more mobile elements to use as temporary bases. They don't cost that much either, and are easier to sacrifice if need be. Therefore I like sniper drones and small FW squads(or kroot/gue'la) in 2-3 seperate small firebases.

The only time I'll do a large contingent of FW's is when I run Aun'va and Shadowsun in a 2000+ point game. Then I let Aun'va get killed and the FW use Shadowsuns LD to test. Voila I now have FW who are good in HtH. I usually give em carbines so they can shoot while falling back and cause pinning.
You use 2 special character to get around a rule. My my my. What a power gamer. I'd laugh at you if you put that army down. I've said more than once here that if you need a special character your tactics are lacking. You use 2. LOL. How lame.
1) No double Posting

2) For the love of God. STOP FLAMING. How many times have people told you NOT TO FLAME?

3) Kroot are excelent speed bumps, they are very good meat shield. Plus they are decent in CC with a large number of attacks.

4) Using SC are do require tactics. They are a massive pionts sink and because of that most players must use them well or else you give the enemy 200+ free VPs
Old 15 Aug 2006, 16:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

You double post and insult others tactics that work. How lame.

Static Tau is an effective way to play Tau. It gives you a huge amount of fire warrior base that can send out but loads of pusle fire into the enemy. People play hybrid because they don't like to sit around and shoot but to jet up ands unload 29 to 31 shots with a warfish into an enemy unit. Repositioning units into the enemy deployment zone helps to tick them off to.

Kroot are a great speed bumb unit in H2H armies and against shooty armies like Tau or IG you could infiltrate them and charge with 30 to 60 S4 attacks that will hit alot. Yes they have no armour but if you put them into the woods that is a 4+ cover save.

Old 15 Aug 2006, 16:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauCaptain
Kroot are the most worthless thing you can put in a Tau army. I have no idea why people even mention them. You don't see hardly any in our area because they just get shot into and run off the table. Nice way to waste points.

Now the thing is people get board of the static Tau because you don't really do a lot of moving. I've seen a bunch of people say Mobile Tau is the only way to go. I think Mobile Tau is just plain dumb. You waste points in transports that really don't have any good weapons.

I've killed Decievers with them. I've also beat an Avatar with my FW's in hth.
ok mr opinonated. why don't you come up with real statistics instead of saying oh look how great fire warriors are! they even can beat an avatar in close combat!

if that avatar got into close combat with you than you are an incompitant general from my point of view. if you markerlight an avatar and shoot from the hip with just one unit of firewarriors then you got him dead. and sure they can kill the deciever, but this is one of the hardest things for fire warriors to kill out of all their possible things to kill. mounted firewarriors however are protected from it's trickery.

kroot aren't bad, nor a whaste in points, they have better meq ability within their range than firewarriors, they are cheap as nails, they beat up all assault squads and counter some of the weaker ones and they are great against orks. they can tie up your opponent's larger units for turn affter turn. that once very scary daemon prince isn't so scary anymore since he got entangled with those kroot. kroot deffinatly are good at protecting a static line, this isn't argued by very many people. also if the kroot are in woods they are even more resiliant than firewarriors to shooting, because they are cheaper have a lot more wounds and ignore ap values. if you ask me the worst unit in the tau codex is not the kroot, but rather the vespid and even they aren't useless.

also, the skimmer isn't bad at shooting, it can pin with the drones and has great survivability
a lot better than a rhino. are you gonna go over to the space marine section and tell them that rhinos are bad now?
Old 15 Aug 2006, 16:29   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Special Character do not need tactics. They give you tactics to use. There is a difference.

Kroot suck and will always suck. They are a waste of points that could be put into other things.

If you try to justify them as meat shields then that is sad. So you spent how many points to have them get shot up and run off the board?

You can't come up with anything to convince me they are worth their points. Oh I'm sorry. 1 thing can justify them.

A full table of forrests. Then they would rock.
Closed Thread