Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerhead Loadout
Closed Thread
Old 18 Dec 2004, 21:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Hammerhead Loadout

Ok so I see that standard Hammerheads have a couple of equipment options most namely:

Railgun or Ion Cannon
Burst Cannons or Missil Pods

What is better? When I mean better I mean more versatile. I favor the Railgun and Burst Cannon route but what is so good about the missils and the Ion cannon? Or is it the range of the missils. That is what I would think is good about them but then what about the main gun? I dont know much about the Ion cannon and how it plays so how usefull is it and against what?

I ask this cause I am getting a Hammerhead and am having an equipment crisis.

Old 18 Dec 2004, 21:56   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to BizzB
Default Re: Hammerhead Loadout

Erm...i would say Railgun and SMS,because when your oppent takes off your railgun(when imoblised)you can hide your hammerhead and shoot then instead of gettin shot

Ion cannon i would say is good for killing marines,orks,eldar,but the railgun is a far more killing weapon
Old 18 Dec 2004, 22:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would agree that smart missiles are usually the way to go because if your enemy is 18" away from your HH then you might already be in trouble, although it might be useful against deep striking units. It also depends who you are fighting. Agaisnt anything with mods use a rail because its good against tnks and its submunition can plow through infantry, but id say ion is better against guys like marines, especially ones with not too many guys like demon hunters. I personally use 2 hammerheads, one with rail and one with ion (in addition to 2 broadsides), which gives me both a supershooty gun and one good for killing light vehicles/heavy infantry. I armed both with burst cannons simply because i needed the extra 20 pts.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 23:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Ok so I see that standard Hammerheads have a couple of equipment options most namely:
They're the only weapon options :P

It all depends on who your up against.. the best would probably be railgun and sms, although its the most expensive.. it could potentially deal with anything.. The railgun solid shot for vehicles and insta-killing characters.. the submunition shot for taking out hordes of infantry, the smart missiles for taking out more infantry and stuff hiding behind rocks..

The ion cannon is good for light vehicles and heavy infantry as stated above.. and the burst cannons are good for getting a few more shots at infantry.. all the weapons are good.. I take railgun + burst cannon combo to still have the firepower but keep the points cost as low as possible..
Old 18 Dec 2004, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

As has been stated many times before the best option is not to glue either turret on and simply interchange the ion and rail depending on who you fight. personally i would use each for the following:

Railgun when playing against:
Tyranids
Guard
Orks
Tau
Witch Hunters
Eldar
Dark Eldar

Ion Cannon when playing against:
Space Marines
Chaos Space Marines
Necrons
Demonhunters

Of course there are always exceptions to this and its just my opinion, but in general id use the above as a general guide simply based on what units certain armies use, whether it be a few powerful guys or hordes of weak guys.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 01:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Personally Railguns are better on broadsides (Cause dice hate me and I need a reroll) and Ion Cannons are better on the tank with a sms. Thats personally.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 07:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Ok, once again I am Obliged to correct Wolfe, "Broadsides are Bad!" is what he meant to say.

I find the Railgun is just better than the Ion cannon, even against marines it will force them to make a large amount of saves and they will fail 2-3 minimum with proper template placement.

I'm not in favour of SMS as i usually take MT and fly 6"to avoit penetrating hits, much more important than a few shots that if used properly negate the main weapon on the HH.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 19 Dec 2004, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Whats an MT? And what do you mean fly 6 to avoid penetrating hits? Sory not to good with the rules plz elaborate.

Old 19 Dec 2004, 19:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

skimmers Flying over 6"a turn count penertrating as glancing and MT = Multi Tracker
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 19 Dec 2004, 19:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

An "MT" in this case is the Multitracker, and you are correct; it allows to move the Hammerhead and fire its guns as if it were a Fast Vehicle (in other words, full 12" move and then fire all guns).

As for "Broadsides being Bad!", that's that particular poster's opinion. *Take it with a grain of salt. *

The Hammerhead's primary loadout is always going to be a mix of Railgun/Ion cannon and Burst Cannons/Smart Missile Systems; the only way to include additional turret weapon systems is to ask your opponent's permission and use the Forge World weaponry. *(The Tau Plasma Cannon, Fusion Cannon, Twin-linked Long-barrelled Burst Cannon, and Twin Missile Pods, which might or might not be fully legal sometime in 2005)

That said, don't discount the addition of a semi-tertiary weapon system, the Gun Drones. *The Hammerhead model doesn't really have a good place to add them (or the Seeker Missiles for that matter!), but the addition of two more guns that can be removed and formed into a mini-squad is certainly an option to consider! *They hit on a 5+ and fire independantly of the Tank in all cases, and could possibly survive the destruction of the Hammerhead in case it does get destroyed.

Otherwise, I think the weapons configuration of a Hammerhead doesn't really need to change that much; any selection of weapons can face any army with relative ease. *It depends on how you intend to use the tank:

If you plan on forming it up with another tank or vehicle, to form a wedge or phalanx of armor attack power that carries the fight to the enemy, then go with whatever combination gives you the most firepower for your mission. *If teaming with other Hammerheads, give one (or two) an Ion cannon and burst cannons, and have the odd machine out carry a rail gun. *If it will team up mostly with Devilfish (and no other Hammerheads), take the Rail Gun, for the added flexibility. *Consider adding Drones as well, for the extra two shots. *Never know when they might help.

If you plan on running each tank as more of a fire support platform, keeping range and distance while using firepower, then I might consider taking the SMS and Rail Gun/Ion Cannon. *Particularly in long-range shootouts, it's all too likely that someone will get lucky with a Lascannon shot and destroy the Big Gun of the tank. *The SMS, as previously mentioned, allows the Hammmerhead to drop behind cover, while still continuing to threaten enemy positions.

When it comes down to it, a *LOT* of choosing how the Hammerhead is armed is going to be pure gut-instinct. *Take whatever you think is best and run with it; throw a pleasing selection of guns on first, and *then* think of how you'll use it. *Sometimes that's the only way to get past the decision part, and into the game!

Good Luck!
Closed Thread