Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Ethereal or a shas'el
Closed Thread
Old 14 Aug 2006, 18:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Ethereal or a shas'el

Ive done a forum search and can't really find anything for what I need to know.

I am going to have a 500point battle with my friend who plays chaos and i have been debating whether to take an Ethereal or a Shas'o/Shas'el because although the Shas'o/Shas'el is more useful it is quite expensive when given all of the upgrades and weapons.

My Shas'o -

Missile Pod
Fusion Blaster
Sheild generator
Hard-wired multi tracker

I am also planning to include in my 500 point army; two broadsides and 2 fire warrior units however with the extra points left over if I take an Ethereal I could add some more to my army.

BTW I have Chosen the broadsides because the Choas army I face is Iron Warriors so my friend will certainly have a tank in the army.

So with that in mind, should I take a Commander or an Ethereal? and what upgrades should I give the Commander if I am to take one?

Thanks for any help.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Tau Ethereal or a shas'el

Actually you have to take a shas'el or o. Its not an option anymore. In the new codex commanders became 1+. You can include an Etherial as a second HQ but there always must be a Shas'O or a Shas'el in the army. Which actually makes sense, why would Etherials be actually leading troops in the role of commander, thats the shas' job.

Old 14 Aug 2006, 18:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey man!

Sadly you can't use broadsides, cuz they have a +2 save. Also, Vash is right, you gotta take a commander.

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 14 Aug 2006, 18:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh I didn't realise that... I feel dumb now : lol
I don't really think an Ethereal is neccassery in a 500point army. I will spend the points on more fire warriors or maybe a piranah because I will need to keep his troops away from mine.

BTW he told me that he is including a basalisk as his heavy support choice in his army.

Cheers for the help.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 18:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To answer your question directly, you should take a commander rather than an ethereal because I think you are required to. Crisis commanders are 1+ mandatory in a normal army. If you are playing with special rules, this may change.

Now my opinion is that you take a Shas'El simply to save points. 500 points is not much. For that same reason, I might stay away from 2 broadside units. That's alot of points for just 2 shots per turn (depending on how you outfit them and use them). I'd consider what kinds of armor the "tanks" your friend might actually be able to bring in a 500 point game. You might find you don't need broadside strength. Just a thought.

That said, I think you can still take them...unless it's a Combat patrol you are doing where 2+ saves aren't allowed.

Hope this helps.

Aun'Shasta
Old 14 Aug 2006, 18:29   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I thought that those rules only applied to 40k in 40 minutes. We were just going to play a normal battle.

That also means he can't take his basi if we did play those rules but i havent played in a while really.

Well Basalisk has 12 armour so maybe if i take some battlesuits and give them some high strength weapons to destroy the armour.

Cheers for the help
Old 14 Aug 2006, 20:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If he is honestly taking a bassie in 500 pts then your friend should be ashamed of himself. No matter how good it is, it is extremely cheesy. A russ, maybe, but a bassie....

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 14 Aug 2006, 21:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
If he is honestly taking a bassie in 500 pts then your friend should be ashamed of himself. No matter how good it is, it is extremely cheesy. A russ, maybe, but a bassie....

How is that cheesy? Its allowed in the rules, and its not like it is improbable. The gaurdsmen could be defending a long range fire support base.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah I always tell him its cheesy and so do most of the people in GW but its pretty effective because its a real troop killer and a good hit on my fire warriors would have very bad consequences and essentially change the outcome of the battle.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 23:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Cheesy is the cry of poor losers and incompetents. For everything that is strong, there are instances where its advantage is nullified. Find a way to cope, and do so.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Closed Thread