Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fearless troops: To pin or not to pin?
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a way to pin fearless troops?
Yes 26 36.62%
No 37 52.11%
Depends 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fearless troops: To pin or not to pin?

Well, there has been some posts recently about fearless troops and pinning. Since this came up in two different threads, I thought a poll was in order. ;D
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Fearless troops: To pin or not to pin?

Heck yeah...namely Khorne Berzerkers...tear through half my army every time I play > :'( :-[.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yea. It becomes physically difficult to walk under heavy fire... some way of representing this is in order.

I imagine pulse shots as having quite a bit of momentum. Like the Guardsman is hit in the chest and thrown backwards, his entire torso heavily scorced by the plasma pulse.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe a successful "Pulse carbine pin" could cause the unit to move as if it were in difficult terrain. Using an unmodified check against leadership (but not moral test).

Still fearless troops are that way for a reason. I had a squad of Death Company rip through me today, and I couldn't pin them...that's besides the fact I couldn't pin the rest of the army either. Pinning should always be secondary when choosing weapons and targets. Against a majority of units, fearless or not, pin checks simply won't fail often. In 4th Edition wounds are everything, if you can force enough wounds on a unit it doesn't matter if they're pinned...

Anyways, it would be nice, but borderline cheese if Tau had something that circumnavigated fearlessness when it comes to pinning.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 05:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They can't have a lot of momentum. It's physically impossible. Haven't you watched Mythbusters?

Because of Newton's Law, (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) and the laws of inertia (an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant speed unless it is acted upon by another force) it is impossible for a rifle-fired projectile to have any form of knockback without knocking over the firer. Only if it is a self-propelled projectile (like a missle or rocket or a Bolt weapon) will it gain extra speed with which to knock over it's victim.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 05:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Gravitic stabilizers built into the gun to decrease recoil. C'mon, they're Tau! They can do a lot with their tech.

As for the pinning bit, I do not believe Fearless troops should be pinned. Pinning is psychological above all, and some troops are just crazy enough not to be pinned down. Nothing should change this - it's how the game works. You either adapt, or you die. That's how 40k is.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 14 Aug 2006, 05:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I'm saying pulse weapons send something very close to the speed of light and with inertia at the target.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 14 Aug 2006, 05:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

May I just note that A LOT of the stuff in the 40k universe is impossible by today's standards..... I like the idea of fearless troops using a DT test for their movement.... maybe double the outcome up to a max. of six inches.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 14 Aug 2006, 08:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

no, just no that's a terrible idea. pinning is when a unit under fire goes "oh shit!" and then the boss goes "SPLAT" and then in all the chaos the unit under fire tries to jump for cover or is completly disorganized in the chaos. for instance, say you and your buddies start getting blown apart by sniper rifles.

just immagine.

ok now immagine wraithguard being shot to shiholla by sniper fire.

"...were dead allready..."

ok now that inertia thing... just so you know, if you are ever unloading a gun into an unarmed man, make sure you always save one bullet for the head (that is if you did not want to shoot him in the head in the first place) cause them bleedin mother****ers will strangle you. exercise this esspecialy liberably with people attacking you on amphetamines
Old 14 Aug 2006, 09:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
Well, there has been some posts recently about fearless troops and pinning. Since this came up in two different threads, I thought a poll was in order. ;D

If you could 'pin' 'Fearless' troops then there really wouldn't be much point having the 'Fearless' rule at all!