Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick check on Vehicular Drones
Closed Thread
Old 12 Aug 2006, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Quick check on Vehicular Drones

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it from reading too many rules.
The drones attached to Hammerheads, Devilfish, and Piranhas shoot using their BS of 2 correct, (hit on 2 plus)?

Also, only Gun drones can detach from Vehicles, correct? Someone said that the SMS and Burst Cannon drones could detach, but I said that was incorrect. However, upon reading again, the codex does say that drones can detach from the Vehicles. I always thought the SMS and Bust Cannon were "attached" to the vehicle. Am I correct?

Old 12 Aug 2006, 18:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Quick check on Vehicular Drones

Well, the burst cannons and SMS aren't drones, they're weapons systems.

BS2 doesn't mean hitting on a 2+...

And, yes, you use the drones' BS when they shoot.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 12 Aug 2006, 19:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta

There's something simple you need to know about rolling.. for any combat, 4 = 4+ roll, for hitting, 3 - 4+.

whenever the skill goes up, then the roll goes down, and vise versa. anything fails automatically on a roll of 1.
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A rule of thumb when caculating what to roll is to subtract the charactistic Value by 7. (ex. If your model was BS3. Then you need to roll a 4 (7-3=4) to hit).
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

but in h2h and when checkign wounds or saving throws, if u have a 4 and they have a 4 then u have to get a 4... 7-4 = 3, not 4. besides, you're not couting the other resistance...

the true equation:

R = 4 - (s + [(r*[T-1]) - (4*T)] + T) +M

where

7 > R > 1
R = to-do roll
s = self ability
r = resistance
T = is a to-hit roll (bool [1=true or 0])
M = modifier

Good ol' fashioned math :P it's amazing how our brains can easily calculated formula like this after only a few teachin's...

edit: well.. I don't know how to add in the effect of N/A rolls... like if u have S2 and they are T9 or something, because that involves using the R value, which I don't believe you can do in an equation... ya know, using the solution or whatever IN the equation.
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ui Veta
but in h2h and when checkign wounds or saving throws, if u have a 4 and they have a 4 then u have to get a 4... 7-4 = 3, not 4. besides, you're not couting the other resistance...

the true equation:

R = 4 - (s + [(r*[T-1]) - (4*T)] + T) +M

where

7 > R > 1
R = to-do roll
s = self ability
r = resistance
T = is a to-hit roll (bool [1=true or 0])
M = modifier

Good ol' fashioned math :P it's amazing how our brains can easily calculated formula like this after only a few teachin's...

edit: well.. I don't know how to add in the effect of N/A rolls... like if u have S2 and they are T9 or something, because that involves using the R value, which I don't believe you can do in an equation... ya know, using the solution or whatever IN the equation.
The mathmatical equivilent would be a restriction (another formula based on the same variables that determines illegal values). Off the top of my head I think the formula for strength vs. toughness is that T<(4+S) for the attack to work, where T and S are integer values between 1 and 10.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 12 Aug 2006, 20:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah I know what you mean... they use restrictions a lot (linearly for the most part) in algebra, functions/statistics/trigonometry, calculus... lol pretty much any higher-level math class.. I was just trying to do it with 1 equation

Old 12 Aug 2006, 21:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yea, thanks. I know it's a 5+. I just flipped it around in my brain when I was typing. Thanks for the catch and the info.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 21:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

no porolomo

Old 12 Aug 2006, 22:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can't detatch SMS and BC drones as they have no independant statline, they are always part of the vehicle.

"For the Greater Good!"
Closed Thread