Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vectored Retro Thrusters?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Aug 2006, 23:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to thom
Default Vectored Retro Thrusters?

As far as I can tell, the Vectored Retro Thrusters is fairly worthless. It enables a Crisis to Hit and Run, but why would you want to? If you could choose to give them the +1 attack from two close combat weapons then maybe it's a good choice, but as it stands you get 9 attacks with a three suit team, none of which are particularly stunning. WS 3 is mediocre, and though S 5 is good it doesn't warrant getting your suits that close.

So, are Vectored Retro Thrusters an interpretation of the Tau striking mentality translated into close combat? Because if so, why not have GOOD close combat stuff that is only good when used as hit and run, that get's walloped if it is forced to fully engage the enemy. Fits the Tau, balances the game, and adds an interesting strategic element.
No.
If you had a brother, do you think he would like philosophy?
Old 11 Aug 2006, 23:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Vectored Retro Thrusters?

Vectored thrusters are special issue which means one only. You couldnt give it to a squad if you wanted to. Its for tying up a target and then jumping away or getting out of close combat when it does hit you. Also while a base crisis suit is really not good in cc the Shas'O on the other hand is really not that bad. Too bad he has no power weapon. Other than that with a shield generator and iridium plates the Shas'O can be a beast to kill in cc and can do some damage with thrusters he could get out again once he has tied the target up long enough.

Think about it with cc you could block LOS from a firebase, tie up shooting, slow down the enemy and all with a single suit. Not perfect and Tau really arent great at cc but it can be done.

The vectored thrusts are an interesting piece of equipment. Just like all the other special issue stuff they arent simple in their use. Not worthless but I would not use them very much.

Old 12 Aug 2006, 03:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Most people think it's pretty worthless. In many respects I do too. However, most Crisis suits I run work within 12" (Helios/Brightwind). So there's a very good chance an Assaulty unit will get to me (ex Assault marines). I don't like getting into combat, so every now and then I use the VRTs to get out of trouble. Plus I get get to shoot at them again! Basicaly, it's more defensive than offensive.

Fluffwise, I like to bring up the analogy of Gundam combat (or any other type of Anime Mecha combat. Sorry Vash113 :P). Especially in the newer series (Seed/Seed Destiny/Seed Stargazer...), you tend to see a lot of half shooting/ half meleeing combat. Basicaly, you see a Gundam shoot his gun and take a slice out of another gundam with his beam saber and fly back to shoot again and charge again. That Hit and Run is probably the same as the VTR Hit and Run. Heck, I think GW took their inspiration from Anime Mecha combat.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 05:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

hit and run is also good because it keeps your shaso out of los of all of your enemies in close combat, but still allows him to shoot at his enemy. remember this takes up a hardpoint. anyone have any idea how one would represent this?
Old 12 Aug 2006, 06:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If I ever use Vectored Retro Thrusters, its equipped to a lone Shas&#39;Vre Crisis suit, who has twin Fusion Blasters and a shield generator, deep strike in behind that whirlwind thats using indirect fire, shoot the TL fusion blaster, blow the tank up, then in the next turn, the shield generator saves you from the missile launcher that the tactical squad that turns around to deal with it, then run away after being charged (and hopefully surviving) by the counter-assault unit that the other player kept in the back lines, then do it all again next turn!
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 12 Aug 2006, 08:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I like the VRT&#39;s, myself. They allow me to get my commander out of combat, fry his opponents with rapid fire plasma and some M-pods, and then charge back into the weakened squad. He could also, obviously, shoot at something else that your opponent has moved close, thinking that your commander would be locked in combat, but by the time they turn their guns on him, he&#39;s either back in combat, gone, or killed them! This one&#39;s especially good for those opponents who don&#39;t realize exactly how annoying 2 plasma shots AND 2 MP shots can be to rear armor!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a well-constructed sentence is worth a thousand pictures" -Use spell check, it&#39;s there for a reason.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 12 Aug 2006, 09:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think that VRT is not that bad,but it&#39;s viable only to Shaso(IMO).Combining it with Iridium Armor(that already slows you down) and with a Helios Conf. Commander,can make the cut,avoiding hth and come back next turn for retribution.!!

Edit:Concerning Shas O Dalyth Montau post: twin Fusion,SG,VRT... I think that&#39;s a total of 4 hard points.. :-\
Old 12 Aug 2006, 09:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They are meant to be given to one suit; one use is to give expensive commanders a way to escape combat and another is catapulting a Fusion blaster armed suit into close proximity with enemy vehicles.

Try them out in either of these roles and you will see why they are useful.

-drodgers
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying it&#39;s weight by it&#39;s velocity. Strive always to maximize both" - Commander Puertide

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 13 Aug 2006, 12:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Kellenar
I think that VRT is not that bad,but it&#39;s viable only to Shaso(IMO).Combining it with Iridium Armor(that already slows you down) and with a Helios Conf. Commander,can make the cut,avoiding hth and come back next turn for retribution.!!

Edit:Concerning Shas O Dalyth Montau post: twin Fusion,SG,VRT... I think that&#39;s a total of 4 hard points.. :-\
sorry, forget the shield generator, got carried away and forgot what I actually equipped him with! thanks.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 15 Aug 2006, 00:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

um im sorry but i thought the Vectored Retro Thrusters were wargear and so they do not end up taking a hardpoint? correct me if im mistaken please....
Closed Thread