Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just staring out... with 500 points to spend, woo hoo!
Closed Thread
Old 11 Aug 2006, 12:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Just staring out... with 500 points to spend, woo hoo!

First, I would like to thank any that may respond to my newbie questions.
I don't know a whole lot about the game; I just purchase my first fire warrior squad last weekend.

My buddy and I agreed to begin with 500 point armies for our first few battles. I understand a few basic rules but some of the nuances are still outside my grasp.

Basically, I'm looking for a number of suggestions about how best to assemble a Tau army of 500 points to destroy an army of chaos.

Thank you again for your assistance...

v/r
JD
Old 11 Aug 2006, 13:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Just staring out... with 500 points to spend, woo hoo!

First comment - Army choice is a very personal thing - sometimes an army choice just doesn't "work out" for people based on playing style.

First question - at 500 points - we found that the combat patrol rules work MUCH better - it precludes some truly difficult to stop armies... However -they definitely affect the army build out... Are you using Combat patrol or standard rules?

Here is my 400 point Tau Empire Combat patrol list...

Crisis Suit Shas'vre - my Patrol "commander"
- (Cyclic Ionic Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, HWMT)
2 x Monat Crisis suit (Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multitracker)
3 x 6 man Fire Warrior Squad (Pulse rifles)

You have a major choice on this list, BTW - you can take off the Shield generator on the shas'vre and give the Fire Warriors photon grenades if they tend to get assaulted. (personal experience leads me to believe that people gun for the Crisis suits with plasmas and suchlike, and the shield is more useful than the photons... but your milage may vary)

Versus the level of Armor (as in tanks) that is allowable in Combat patrol - Missile pods work fine, and the overall flexibility of the Fireknife configuration offsets the slight efficiency hit you take.

Bring it up to 500 points - I'd probably add a sniper drone team and add 2 fire warriors to one of the teams. That would add a solid core of anti- 3+ save shots.

If it is NOT combat patrol - your options and requirements change significantly. Now you have to watch out for truly gross things like 2+ armor saves, tanks and ordinance. The build up there is OK - but not really suited for an environment with *tough* Chaos vehicles. I'd go with something like this (500 points)

Shas'El - (CIB, Plasma Rifle, Targetting array, HW Multitracker)
2 x 6 man Fire Warriors (Pulse Rifles)
Hammerhead (railgun, SMS, Multi tracker, Target lock, decoys)
Broadside (TL Railguns, TL Plasma, AdSS, Team leader upgrade, HWMT)

(another option would be to replace the Bradside with a Fusion piranha and a few more Fire warriors.)

It gives you a very nasty range of options versus heavy armor. The Hammerhead is arguably one of the best tanks in the game, with durability, a very big gun, and solid maneuverability with the Multi-tracker. Few 500 point armies REALLY have the firepower to take them down quickly... >

I DO reccomend Combat patrol for 4-500 point game though.

Dave Gaidasz
Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well if you like mechanized armies here's what I used very sucsefully against my friends chaos in a 500 pt. Combat patrol game

Shas'vre w/ plasma, fusion, target array, HWMT

10 Firewarriors w/ shas'ui
Devilfish w/ decoy launchers, multi tracker, target array

Total: 502

It's small and those transports are non-scoring but they're very difficult to take down and the army is incredibly manuverable.

An alternate list:

Shas'vre w/ plasma, missile pod, target array, HWMT

4 Stealth suits

12 Kroot

Total: 496

This army isn't quite as manuverable, but it has more scoring units and half of it infiltrates. It's fluffy and would be very effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:51   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I can't thank you enough for your wisdom and assistance. I'll have to take the weekend to digest this and surely post more questions.

Thanks again...

~JD
Old 11 Aug 2006, 19:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsrcool
I can't thank you enough for your wisdom and assistance. I'll have to take the weekend to digest this and surely post more questions.

Thanks again...

~JD
Heh no problems we're here to help, and good luck on your first Tau force.

Also if you REALLY feel the need to thank me somehow I'm not adverse to having small plastic and metal miniatures named after me

Seriously though send those chaos dogs back to the warp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 01:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Chaos really annoy me! And freak me out (look at the bloodthirster or the deamon prince of nurgle). So for 500pts just by the commander and 2 teams of tau firewarriors. Thats all you can do to keep it legal (F.Y.I: You MUST have an HQ and 2 troop squads to start out in your army). Watch for the deamonic summoning cause that's how they get the stuff like bloodtirsters and the greater deamon of nurgle. Best of luck 8)

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 12 Aug 2006, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There's a sample Tau Combat Patrol set up here (GW site).
Old 12 Aug 2006, 07:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm a big advocate of fast moving hard hitting units.

When I command my forces, they set up two 6 X firewarrior markerlight bases for 160 points.

Then I like to spend between 90-110 points on a crisis suit commander(make sure he at least has missile pods).

With my remaining points I like to buy a combination of stealth suits and Piranhas.

They both have access to effective infantry killing and vehicle destroying weapons. At 500 points, you should be able to separate, isolate and destroy anything you're opponent throws at you.

It also fits with the idea of what the units were designed for in the first place.

Stealth suits are the very definition of a reconnaissance force. They can get in close and deliver either heavy support(fusion blaster), or crowd control(burst cannon).

Piranha are fast support, emergency offensive power. Perfect for small, patrol level play. If you save some points on a you're command, you could buy a couple of seekers to go with the Fire Warriors markerlights. Seekers in a 500 point game can be deadly.

Here is a sample list.

HQ

Shas'O, Missile pods, Plasma, CIB, HWMT, = 127

Troops
6 X Fire Warriors, shas'ui, markerlight = 80 pts
6 X Fire Warriors, shas'ui, markerlight = 80 pts

Fast Attack

Piranha, Fusion, TA, Flechettes, Seeker = 90 pts

Elites

3 X Stealth suits, Fusion, 3 TA, = 122

Total=499

See if you like this list and if any of these abbreviations don't make any sense to you then lemme know. ;D
Old 12 Aug 2006, 08:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My friend plays Khorne, when I was starting we played small point games, what you should take really depends on what he does (do some covert intelligence gathering):

If he goes for defilers and other tanks pack a broadside (with a SD just in case) and some helios suits to give him a nasty shock (it will doubtlessly be a big part of his points cost).

If he goes mainly for big scary charging marines just use your fire warriors as a lure (maybe put a crisis suit near them) and as he charges just burn his troops away with fireknife(Plasma and Missile Pod) and helios(Plasma and Missile pod). If he does get near your FWs just sacrifice them and move your suits out in different directions (he will never get to all of them).

These are the only strategies my friend has used against me in smaller games but I have found them easy to counter as decribed above.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 12 Aug 2006, 09:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers
My friend plays Khorne, when I was starting we played small point games, what you should take really depends on what he does (do some covert intelligence gathering):
That's sort of cheating Drodgers. :-\

Closed Thread