Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

To Kill a Tank
Closed Thread
Old 11 Aug 2006, 07:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default To Kill a Tank

Considering that Tau get railguns, this post might seem a bit obvious to some, but having just come from a minor loss where I was effectively pounded by a Leman Russ and a Demolisher, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Admittedly the dice weren't my friends that game, but tactically I couldn't knock down the tanks until it was just too late.

I'd be very grateful for any strategies for mitigating/taking out tanks and ordnance; and, oppurtunist that I am, I've also included my 1000pts list for review in the anti-armour department:

HQ
Shas’el – 97
FB, PR, MT, TA

ELITES
Crisis – 65
TL plasma, TA

Crisis – 65
TL plasma, TA

5 Stealths – 150

TROOPS
10FW in DF - 195
rifles and decoy launchers & multi-tracker respectively

10FW in DF - 195
rifles and decoy launchers &multi-tracker respectively

HVY SUPPORT
Broadside – 100
2 shield drones

Ionhead – 135
2 BCs, DL, MT, TL

= 1003pts.

… alternatively I could swap the ionhead for another 100pt. broadside and a cheap deathrain crisis suit. Any opinions on whether the anti-armour fire is enough? Any other improvements.

… or swap stealthsuits for ionhead?

… or FW in DF for ionhead + 10 kroot (minus the commander’s TA)

… also consider swapping TL on ionhead for a disruption pod…
Old 11 Aug 2006, 08:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: To Kill a Tank

Three suits and a broadside should be enough to take out at least one tank, so what went wrong tactically?
(Admittedly, I'm biased -but how about adding a couple of Piranhas to the list?)

Play with fire - get burned ... play with concrete - get cured
Old 11 Aug 2006, 08:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Try adding some more troops.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 11 Aug 2006, 08:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ewain is right.Just try and swap one of the Burning Eye Monats with a Sunforge Monat (twin-linked FB and either TA of Flamer).Start him in reserve and when he become available cross your fingers and Deep Strike him!! Seriously,hou have good chances to blow up any one of his Tanks,and when this task is done,try to hunt down some infantry with Flamer.

If this tactica doesn't suit to you,you may try 1 or 2 Piranhas.Or both
Old 11 Aug 2006, 08:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not enough Railguns, I'd say. It looks to me like you only have two things capable of damaging AV14, and one of them's your expensive and vulnerable HQ. Even on the averages, your one Broadside would need 10 or 11 turns to take out both tanks, and that's if they're not hull down. Swapping out stuff for some Deathrains or another Ionhead doesn't do what you're looking for - you still won't be able to scratch those Leman Russ.

My regular Tau opponent almost always brings three or four Railguns at 1000 points (2 Broadsides and a Hammerhead or 4 Broadsides). While one Railgun and an Ion Cannon might hold off one (or maybe two) Predators, even a single Leman Russ is a significant threat to you. As well, your Broadside is fairly vulnerable all by himself. Shield Drones are nice, but it's still very worth a Guard player's time to make sure that it dies, and after that his tanks are unstoppable. I know where I'd be deep striking my special weapon squads, anyway.

It'd probably help to know what other armies you have to deal with - from the looks of things, you've been playing against very infantry-heavy Marines, or even Sisters (and I honestly don't know how you'd go about building a Tau army to be competitive against both tank Guard and infantry Sisters).

Edit: Concerning the above post - you really don't have that good of a chance of taking out a tank with a deep striker. Scatter will guarantee that you end up out of your 6" Melta range about half the time, and you'll only kill the tank half of the times that you land near it. Meanwhile, the tanks still get at least one turn (probably two) to rain death on your army.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 09:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

About Gotchaye's post-I think that he REALLY has good chances to blow up one of his tanks with a deep striker.I agree that scattering is a real pain but it's same story for his opponent too.2 out of 3 times the Monat will scatter,but the same goes for IG's pie plates and concerning the fact that Doomanddarkness's list is near Mech,he didn't suffer SO MUCH from two Ordnance.You see,Battle Cannon Plate doesn't hurt Broadsides that often,his StealthSuits have a little bit of proctection(thanks to the 2d6 of scattering),and concerning his tanks,1 out of 3 times the pie-plate will "land on hull" and inflicting actual damage.

In the end,he may try to deep strike his Commander(that also sports a FB),or try a couple of Piranha's.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 09:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just remember to deep-strike to the rear of the tank; even if you scatter out of 6" then you still have a reasonable chance of punching rear armour with a S8 gun.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 11 Aug 2006, 11:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Though Broadsides are great tank hunters, they really shine when they are used to dominate (or at least put the pressure on) one flank, while other assets do their thing. A single Broadside (unless you fight on a battlefield without any cover) has huge problems if the enemy choose to stay away from its firelanes. Especially since you do not have ASS on it. I would recommend swapping your single Broadside and Ionhead for a Railhead and then use the points you have left to buy a Deathrain suit or some such.

Just my thoughts, but from experience I would rather have a mobile Railgun than a stationary one.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 14:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Your list has some points inefficiencies that could be corrected/improved upon.

Given that you had two fairly respectable tanks to take out, I'd say one thing to do is to swap something and bring in a second broadside in that same unit. You could do two units of one, and maybe you prefer that.

Next, one inefficiency I see is the use of Twin-Linked Fusion Blasters in conjunction with a targeting array on your suits. In all seriousness, since you're only playing 1000 points, you need to have a cutoff point where you tell yourself "that's enough cost". Remember that twin-linking is statistically better than getting +1 BS, by just a little. With respect to FBs, Twin-Linking is considerably cheaper than a TA. I'd ditch the TA. I'm not that much of a fan of Plasma Rifles anymore, except on HQ type suits. Too expensive. A missile pod/fusion blaster combination (with one or the other twin-linked) makes for a very versatile suit, that is also dirt cheap.

Next, I'd ditch the 5th stealth suit - because a unit of 4 is in many ways superior to a unit of 5. Basically, the unit has to be reduced to 1 model to be under 50 percent, at which point it's already disadvantaged by Last Man Standing rules.

If you exchange Plasma Rifle/TA suits for TL (either/or) FB/MP you've spent the same amount of points as TL PR alone. You get more versatility, and save 10 points over the cost of the TA. Between that and the stealth suit removal, you've saved 50 points - you're 20 away from adding that broadside. Knock your FW teams down to 9 each and you have it.

Now you can deep strike these specialized suits into the rear areas, and you have two broadsides, not one.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 13 Aug 2006, 07:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

bump
Closed Thread