Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Greater Good and Leaders?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Dec 2004, 02:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default The Greater Good and Leaders?

Ok well that Tau do everything for the Greater Good. So I am wondering how much do the Shas'O control what happens. We know the Etherials are the top dogs but the Shas are the warriors. So I mean how much do the Shas'O actually affect the Tau empire and its goals. Do they have the same political power as the etherials or is their domain as final say in battle or are the Etherials top even there. I was just wondering since the Tau are all for the Greater Good how do the Etherials and Shas'Os affect that and what does each do? Cause I would think problems would arrise when a shas commander wants to do something and an etherial puts their foot down. Would clashes occur or would the shas stand down? This has not really been covered. I suppose they would discuse the matter to find what is the best for the Kovash Tauva but clashes are also possible.

What do you all think about this? Anything official say how the leaders interact?

Old 17 Dec 2004, 03:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: The Greater Good and Leaders?

In the codex, it mentions that the only way for a tau to leave the military is to retire to join the council of advisors and "play a greater part in Tau politics" My guess is that the retired Shas lend their extensive knowledge of warfare to the ethereals so that they might be better able to make descisions for the greater good. The Shas would be like the presidential cabinet in the US, where they really only give orders to their specific department (the fire caste) after being told what to do by the leader. (ethereals) Arguments would arise, but if an ethereal was really adamant about something, there's no doubt that the advisors would back down. (if the ethereal was really mad he could tell the advisors to kill themselves...) The only power the Shas have is to advise and lend knowlege, not to make the big descisions concerning tau politics.

My guess is, if fire warriors can retire, why not other caste members? there's probably this whole tau chain of command in politics, where each caste brings forth their knowlege and experience to the table and the ethereals make the final descision.

So really, everything would be done peaceably and according to law, and if ever there was a hot enough topic, the ethereals would always win out in the end because of their really strong influence over the tau... if you want to discuss something, discuss that.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 05:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Shas'o are battlefeild commanders and as such Etherals deferr to them on the battle feild, although Etherals may command any Tau at any time to do anything so as in Everything Etherals may have final say but would be unintellegent to contradict their tried and tested commanders.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 17 Dec 2004, 12:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Brother-Captain

Yes, Tau Ethereals would have the final say NO MATTER WHAT. So bassicly an Ethereal could order any 'O from any caste in any anything they wanted to at all times. But also it says that after four years, I beleive, of being a Shas'O the commander can leave the military and 'retire' to a military council that helps Ethereals. Also, Ethereals aern't stupid, they would know better then to overrule a Shas'O's commands, after all the Shas'O are the oldest and wisest of all the Fire Caste.

"Death is but a passing into a new existance, Heresy is the only true form of death, as it leads to damnation." -Attributed to Cheif Librarian Varcus

If you feel like striking up a good conversation, Warhammer related or otherwise, contact me on my AIM name (Specter Zerus)
Old 17 Dec 2004, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

exactly, technically they have the power but only a dork would use it ;D lol, Dork'o vior'la Kais ;D

anyway, after 4 years as Shas'o a commander may elect to serve again or retire to the military council, sort of like the collection of Tau Retired generals and serve as a member of the military advisory council to the Etherals.
go here
Old 17 Dec 2004, 15:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If I remember correctly, something like what you are describing happens in the paragraph of fluff attached to the rail rifles. A firewarior who is testing the new Rifle with target lock gets his/her face burned off. The Shas'o gets pi$$ed, and starts to cuss out the earth caste engineer who designed the target lock. An Ethereal steps in and says" chill out man, its for the greater good." The Shas'o calms right down no questions asked.
In some of my posts I may mention my feelings, opinions, and/or some facts about various armies. These comments are in no way meant to hurt or insult any quality players, with well planned (sometimes painted) armies. The quality of "Cheese" is limited to the specific individual and can only be enhanced/diminished by any imbalance due to game design, codex creep, or by not having a new codex for eight years. Any posted comments are not intended for any army as a whole.
Thank you, and goodnight.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 15:20   #7 (permalink)
The Bloody Tyrant

The tau race is based on one common goal called the greater good. since it is like that they msut put their own ambitons aside and do what is right for the greater good. Ethreals are basically the priests and leaders of the tau. They keep everyone togather so they will not suffer from before. The terror i believe they called it. Sorry i dont know the tau language too well.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 20:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

would lean more toward psychic influence. Think about it. Maybe the Dawn Blade is not evil. Maybe it just sheilds its wielder from external influences. Therefore O'Shovah would have become out of Aun control and maybe he had a sort of awakening and fought back. I would say that the Shas'O have more power than one would think. Maybe years of brutal war change the Shas so they can resist the Aun more so they are more honored to passify them. I mean O'Shovah may have left the Tauva after his Etherial died but he may have had a part in that death himself which is phenominal under the normal theory. So I think the best answer is either pheromonal or psychic control. That leaves room for an exeptionally strong individual to break out of control which is perhaps what Shovah did.

Well that is my updated theory.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 21:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

it makes sense... but so do many other theories
Old 18 Dec 2004, 06:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would lean towards pheremonal as Tau are supposed to be null to the warp, to explain they are not even there as far as the warp is concerned.
go here
Closed Thread