Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Big squads of Stealth?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to CommanderAce
Default Big squads of Stealth?

Would it be considered cheezy to have 6 stealths and 12 gun drones. I thought it would be a great unit. That would benefit a lot from markelights, especially. But is it cheezy? They all have stealth so u cant hit it from far. And any squad that gets close to it would be utterly shredded by 30 pulse shots 12 of which cause pinning. Even if it takes fire, you have 7 drones to lose before losing a stealth. It wouldnt be too bad in assault as all of em count as in cover. Of course u would need a bonding knife for it. what do u guys think? Is it too unwieldy?
-Achilles in Troy
All my life, I've lived by a code and the code is simple: Honor the gods, love your woman, and defend your country. Troy is mother to us all. Fight for her!
-Hector in Troy
I think the slain care little if they sleep or rise again.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Big squads of Stealth?

It would not be cheesy, at least, not any more so than 32 model Hormgaunt broods, or a 30 Ork strong mob. It's kinda unwieldy, since 18 models are hard to JSJ behind cover. It is the most Markerlight efficient unit in the Tau army, though... I'd only field it in really high point games.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Never worry about being cheesy, ever. If you can take it, it's not cheesy (wyches excluded). Besides, 30 pulse shots really aren't all that horrendous, but it's not bad.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well first off it's massive foot print would almost negate the stealth feild. Also the cost would be too much ot be worht it in my oppion.

Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

can't do 12 drones. that would be 120 points of wargear. (edit: oh wait, nevermind. was thinking 100 per unit for a minute there!)

Way too unwieldy in my opinion also. I'm a fan of fielding two small teams (3-4 suits) sometimes with a pair of gundrones and one shield drone each (one drone per guy) if points allow... or one team of 5-6 on its own if I want more crisis.

10 drones wouldn't be cheesy. it would be damn powerful, but also very... unstealthy, and you'd best bond that thing because they DO count towards that (without being ignored if they're the only casualties).
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well idk, its 30 fw shots with the same price. and cant be hit from far. and is good in assault and is extremely hard to break. it seems like a good counter to heavy weapons squads cause it can infiltrate too. im not worried too much about jsj behind cover cause of the stealth field and so many drones.
-Achilles in Troy
All my life, I've lived by a code and the code is simple: Honor the gods, love your woman, and defend your country. Troy is mother to us all. Fight for her!
-Hector in Troy
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta

<<Well first off it's massive foot print would almost negate the stealth feild.>>
Uhm... drones float??

<<Also the cost would be too much ot be worht it in my oppion.>>
Depends on who you fight.

I'd say it'd be a lovely idea. I love drones for some reason or another.. I believe my army will rely quite heavily on them. This group would work wonders against masses of fragile creatures; the jump-shoot 30 shots-jump would be a rapist, and if brought to close combat, the drones could take most of the hits (especially in cityfight). Of course, this would be a terrible choice for armies less than 800 points (if not 1000), but the intimidation of 30 rolls would help out in any situation :P
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
<<Well first off it's massive foot print would almost negate the stealth feild.>>
Uhm... drones float??
What they mean by "footprint" is the space that the unit takes up on the table with all those 1" bases.

Thing is, unless you line them up in 2 rows, you're not really going to either A) have the whole unit within 18" when you need it or B) be outside of 21" when you jump away, which is where you want to be because then it's less than 50% to spot you.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

True but you'll prob kill a few of those models that u were shooting at, to be 21" away. I think of it like a mounted firewarrior squad except with more range... Stealth provides safe transport. mathematically with 2 markerlights it can kill about 6 marines, with a pin test. Chances are those remaining 4 marines wont be within 21 but even if they are they *might* kill a drone. If u can keep that up for 6 turns they only kill 6 drones while you kill 36 marines, obviously you wouldnt get a shot off every turn its just an exaggeration. But if ur not getting a shot off they prob arent either.
-Achilles in Troy
-Hector in Troy
Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta

Just wonderin... how are you getting 12 drones? are you saying 2 per guy? 'cause only the leader can have them.. or if that was changed, when?
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Closed Thread