Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marines and Tau (such a generic title, eh?)
Closed Thread
Old 10 Aug 2006, 01:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta
Default Space Marines and Tau (such a generic title, eh?)

So I just stripped my first space marines I ever bought (my first w40k figures, which were over 5 years old) and repainted them to accompany my tau (who aren't painted fully either). Read this shiznit and tell me what you think.

Da dudes personal shots :P

Both 'em dudes

The new dudes wit da tau

Intense.
So... I'm making a Tau and Space Marines army. There is a lot of things I have to think about regarding the story between them, but I have ideas. Firstly, the Space Marines would be intensely tough to convert via propoganda and such, due to their whole lifestyle and immense faith for the emperor. However, some chapters have gone bad before (eye of terror dealy), so I figure it wouldn't be impossible for this situation to occur.

My idea [of the tau] is that the Tau more or less are willing to forgive even their foes, and are willing to allow any surrender of the enemy so long as they are willing to live beside the tau, and for the greater good of their empire. They are allowed to worship their own gods and keep many of their own customs so long as they abide by certain (usually obvious) rules.

With this kept in mind, my idea is that this chapter consists of various warriors from various planets and chapters, all of which have agreed to unite with the tau and their other significant allies. These Space Marines are extremely appreciative of their newfound freedom and lifestyles, as well as their treatment. They are allowed to travel anywhere most other Tau alliances are, and everywhere they go, they feel at home. Other humans from the Imperial Guard (who are far more populated) live in their societies, usually just outside the major Tau populus.

Their munitions are reproduced and repaired with a combination of tau and gue'la technology, and therefore, they may continue to make use of their current weapons. The one major problem is that their suits are so intensely complex that even the best (willingly allocated) Tau machinists, scientists and technitians are incapable of reproducing most parts. Thus, after their backpacks fail, their armor is battered and worn, and certain other parts and pieces fail, these Space Marines are forced to either use parts recovered from their dead foes are completely quit using them altogether.

Although they are considered traitors by their previous law, these men do not come to hate their ancestors, but, rather, accept both sides of both competing races. Their emperor they still bless for what they have, figuring they never would have found their lives as they find them now if they had chosen another path. They understand what the Emperor and his empire fights for, and respect them for it. Because of this understanding and respect, this faction has agreed, as has the Tau with it, to never fight a Space Marine, nor for one, again - regardless of any circumstances.

I figure that stuff prolly needs a bit of editing.. but it's just a lil bit. I hope to work out a lot of stuff and make a codex and such for it. If anyone wants to help out with this, that'd be swizzle.

edit: note that the 'hey understand what the Emperor and his empire fights for, and respect them for it. Because of this understanding and respect, this faction has agreed, as has the Tau with it, to never fight a Space Marine, nor for one, again - regardless of any circumstances.' means that the Space Marines won't fight, and that the tau have agreed not to send them to battle their brethern (right word??) - not that the Tau won't fight them.
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Space Marines and Tau (such a generic title, eh?)

Well, aside from my dislike of traitor marines, it seems pretty cool. Although, I doubt the Tau would agree to never fight Marines.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you started reading this immediately after my post, sorry - I had an edit i put in to clarify that a lil afterwards:

Quote:
edit: note that the 'hey understand what the Emperor and his empire fights for, and respect them for it. Because of this understanding and respect, this faction has agreed, as has the Tau with it, to never fight a Space Marine, nor for one, again - regardless of any circumstances.' means that the Space Marines won't fight, and that the tau have agreed not to send them to battle their brethern (right word??) - not that the Tau won't fight them.
I'm going to investigate the function of different space marine parts (especially the backpack) now
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
Old 10 Aug 2006, 02:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

The backpack is a power unit/exhaust, whereas the rest is just servos and fiber-muscle. Plus some comms and autosenses in the helmet.

Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hm... power unit... that sounds like a tough thing to just drop. Exhaust isn't so bad.. but would be useful to the marines having them (comes up with crazy-ass wargear ideas).

Do you think that the lil part w/the stubb that's already a part of the suit could be the power pack, and the other part the exhaust and such? That'd be great, as the wargera would become the backpack that comes with the stuff

Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Firstly on the backpack note:

Space Marine power armour can function for SHORT periods of time without the generator because of reserves built into the suits. After several hours however the suit will shut down leaving the space marine basically immobile.

I'm assuming that the reason for that bit of backpack fluff is because you lost several backpacks, right? If so just order a few more or ask nicely at the local GW if they have some spares lying around that you could have.

As for the idea as a whole,

I gotta say no. Really strongly.

Marines have nigh unpentrable pyscho conditioning. The only marines that have ever been corrupted have been chaos marines or marines that have simply gone rogue.

No marines have ever been corrupted by Xenos in any Fluff I know of.

It just doesn't work.

I'm sorry to be harsh but I know that when some other members see this the crap is gonna hit the fan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmm...

Well... I never really go to the GW store.. I go to a (way cheaper) place that's close by called masquerade games... the peopel that work there (cept the owner) are the spawn of satan goth-better-than-you people... ugghh. But regardless, no, the fluff is to make sense. After all, the people that understand how this stuff (the tech in general.. but the suits more) works are few and far between themselves, aren't they?

well, the good part is - this is a fictional word.. so.. I can try to come up with story to convince people here and there. As well, I can field my SM army completely on its own (in the new green.. ).

the bad part is - I don't wanna get flamed...

What happened with the SMs to make them go away from the emperor before? You said something about rouge groups.. what about them too? And, if that happened, why would it be impossible for this to happen? I could theoretically change the storyline to make the marines a part of a Tau experiment for super troopers, but I'd rather do this instead. So, what happened?

Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Although Falstead is correct from a fluff perspective, (ie Marines will always choose to stomp aliens rather than play nice) remember that these are your minis, in your games and as such if thats the background you want to use, then so be it. From a tournmanet or GW perspective tho, the game setup wont really support this kind of allied perspective. But hey, i've done a hybrid/allied army like this before, its fun to play with..

Oh, and if anyone does come on here and go ballistic at what you've written (as Falstead mentioned), dont worry- its possibly cos they are sad people who have nothing better to do with their time other than bag people out.

Ps. paint scheme on your marines is cool!

Kapow

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks I wish I had more done (spending this much time screws you up :P). I will definately be posting finished sections in a blog-post of some sort in the painting section when the time comes.

But, I'd still like to find out what happened with the marines that abandoned their lifestyle. This sort of action will likely be the case in this situation, too.

Old 10 Aug 2006, 04:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
nigh unpentrable pyscho conditioning
Nigh impenetrable. *Marines have been known to fall to Chaos (from actual chapters) since after the Horus Heresy. *It's not so hard to imagine that a few solid years with a Por'O (that's water, right?) could change some lesser Marine's minds. *Besides, they can go rogue, just rogue to Tau.
I'm as much of a fluff-nazi as the next guy, and this as plausible as rogue marines. *Not to mention some of the other ideas. *Trust me...

Besides, if Ravenor can be "corrupted" by Eldar, some Lesser Marines can be converted.
On that note, I have an idea. *Perhaps you could create a chapter from which the marines come from. *There could be a flaw in the geneseed stock which prevents psycho-conditioning from fully taking effect. *This could be minor enough to go unnoticed, but enough to let them be convinced that the Greater Good lies with the Tau.

I'd keep the numbers within a few dozen of 30 Marines. *Any more is implausible.

And on the back pack, a Space Marine can use an un-powered suit, they're not immobile. *But they're not as strong fast, accurate, aware etc. etc. without it. *It's basically a huge suit of armour, which weighs quite a bit.

One last thing: *Rogue. *Not 'rouge', r-o-g-u-e! *That's one of my biggest pet peeves...

Closed Thread