Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So how do Tau actually live?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Aug 2006, 20:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default So how do Tau actually live?

???I have almost no idea how tau live daily so id like some people to tell me plz ???

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: So how do Tau actually live?

From what I can gather from some of the fluff and from Wikipedia and my codex, I think the Tau just perform whatever tasks they're asked to do, go back to sleep, and keep doing it till they die. Sometimes they get promoted in different ways depending on their caste, but Tau of all levels of society are content with whatever they do.

Of course, there's probably more to it.. perhaps you should read Kill Team by Gav Thorpe? I haven't read it myself, but i'm quite sure it has stuff about the Tau. At least Wikipedia says so.

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

In kill team, it talks about Tau food (they use salt when they eat, but they have it in a crystal form) and on their worlds, in the mercanary district of their planets, the kill team goes into a Mos Eisly-style cantina where they meet the Kroot and the dog-soldiers.
Only then your life I will save
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I doubt they'd do anything crazy like sleep chained to walls or cut themselves for fun (yes, yes, talissera is cutting, but that has a purpose). Thusly Tau probably have the same generic alien lifestyle like the covenant or protoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I might be straying slightly off topic, but isn't there a huge amount of similarities between the Tau and the Protoss/Covenant? Makes you wonder at times. :P

Speaking of Tau and fun, what exactly do they do for fun? Or are there lives just based off their work? I'd assume the latter, but don't they have a paradise sept where they enjoy themselves?

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

Tau are incapable of enjoying themselves unless commanded to by an Etheareal (at least thats what my Librarian told me ;D)
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 01:48   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Tau do apparently have some leisure time. The older codex mentioned that one sept is popular with Tau who have the freedom to travel long distances on vacation. They seem to be perfectly content with their jobs, but they also have some free time to do other things.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 05:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They are content whenever they come into contact with an Ethereal. The "high" they get just being around the ethereal makes them happy little worker bees who, while possessing individuality, all have the common "addiction" to the ethereals presence. This commonality allows all tau to relate to one another in such a way so as to never really have discord within their society.

Oh sure, some water caste diplomat may not agree with some earth caste planner on which way the embassy should face, but they still both want to work to please the ethereals. Therefore I see them willing to make compromises in an effort to achieve harmony for the greater good. They would rather let go of their individual philosophic position in order to please the ethereals and meet their deadlines.

So how does this affect their day to day lives?

I see them as spending a lot of time fretting over their work. They are probably a race of perfectionists. The fire warriors are probably WAY too serious about their military training, and their water caste probably prides themselves in their ability to handle social situations better than the other castes. The air caste probably thinks they are the ultimate in piloting ability, and the earth caste can't wait to show how superior their architecture, science, John Thomas is. So they probably come across as very condescending, like the Eldar only friendlier. Only they do not think of themselves as better than anyone else. After all, they are all equals except the Aun the Aun are almost reverred like deities, only instead of simply spiritual guides, the ethereals double as the tau "drug pushers". Shady business indeed.

Fortunately the Aun's leadership has been as wise as it has been benevolent.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've heard tau have some kind of VR (virtual reality) thing. Like in training bays thay have the virtual combat practice. That seems like pretty awesome fun!.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 10 Aug 2006, 21:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, I think you're referring to the battle domes, or whatever they're called. I recall the codex entry for Shadowsun described her shooting a statue of Farsight in a battle dome of sorts.

Speaking of Farsight, how do the Tau live under his rule? Are there still castes, or is it just a do-as-you-please society? I'd imagine they don't have the same way of life and are probably a bit more primitive since their equipment would be outdated.

Closed Thread