Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whew, glad that lots done.
Closed Thread
Old 09 Aug 2006, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Whew, glad that lots done.

Finally got my two original Fire Warrior squads finished that I started in '02. Makes me glad that I don't collect IG. I had airbrushed them with their primary colour, as well as my Broadsides and Crisis Suits, and had put them up until recently. After a couple of weeks of an hour here or there, I painted and flocked the bases last night. It's just getting into that factory mentality to do the samething a couple of dozen times, and slogging through it. I was doing other things at the same time, and my next hurtle is converting and painting my battlesuit weapons (I use magnets and thin tin sheeting). Getting myself to finish the battlesuits and vehicles shouldn't be to hard though.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Whew, glad that lots done.

It took you 4 years to paint 24 fire warriors?

They must be stunning. ;D We'll get some pictures, right?

Good luck with painting the rest of your minis, and may you paint faster. :

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 09 Aug 2006, 19:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They look alright, but nowhere near GD quality, and it's the boring Reese's Cup colouration. If you read my intro, I had been on a midlife hiatus shortly after starting my Tau, and now taking the time to catch back up. Been caught up into computer gaming, a couple of Sci-Fi MMORPGs, and at my age I took up the flute with nothing but elementary school music lessons. I'm still playing the flute as I find it fun to work with and improvise from. So, yeah It's been 4 years, but may have been the rest I needed.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My only concern is that you took the magnets approach to the battlesuit weapons...

WHY?!?!?!

except for the special issue gear (which yellow stuff--the yellow half of the green stuff--will take care of), all the crisis suit weapons and gear can be just stuck on like legos or action-figure accessories. why would you want to mount magnets?

and is tin even magnetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 10 Aug 2006, 13:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Why????.....Because I can!

But seriously, I had 'invested' a modest amount in Ronin Duels figures (I liked the modularity of collecting weapons and equipment, and applying them to a mech chassis, sound familiar?), which came with several tiny rare earth magnets with each one. Well with the death of Cell Entertainment, and me being the only local collector. I have a lot of the magnets.

I did originally find the friction fit okay and workable, but a minor brush of a hand against the figure would pop-off a weapon. And I personally would never consider bluetack, as it does leave some residue behind, and is hardly inconspicuous.

Being a longtime detail model hobbyist, I have all the tools to place the magnets into the slots on the battlesuits, and by cutting off most of the tab, leaving a small stub to keep the item from rotating. I then superglued a small square of sheet tin to the item.

I had thought about using two magnets, but I soon realized that ensuring polarity 100% would be impossible, so I went to a full service hobby shop with some of the magnets to look for a thin magnetic sheet of material. The rare earth magnets stuck to sheets of stainless steel(?) and tin, so I went with the .015" tin sheet, as it was easier to work with.

In fact using 2 magnets and gluing a strip of tin to a seeker missile, I've given the option of some of my vehicles to carry seekers, or not.

Sorry, if I turned this from just a celebratory article to a hobby section item, but I was asked why I was using magnets.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 18:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use a small ball of blue tac, it mightight show through, but after i explain to the opponent 'listean man, if i ever want a different weapon config, im sure as hell not paying $30 bucks for it!" i think he/she will look past the small showing peace of blue stuff. (Tac, not stuff)