Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Drones : Asset or liability?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Aug 2006, 04:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Sniper Drones : Asset or liability?

Just wondering what everyone's opinion of sniper drones is. I've seen mostly support for em, but if you don't like em/use em, I'd like to know the reason.

Personally I really get good mileage out of them, and try to include them in all lists over 1000 points.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 05:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Sniper Drones : Asset or liability?

I haven't really played them that much but from what they did they were good. They help to pin down some units with the markerlight hits and a extra BS form the spotters markerlight.

Old 09 Aug 2006, 05:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They're a now-and-then thing for me.

Pros:
+Networked markerlight
+Stealth field
+Cheaper rail rifles than pathfinders
+Field in multiple independant teams for one slot (lets you cover more terrain, and means they won't all die from one volley or assault)
+Wonderous, magical lure if placed near broadsides (look at all those critical, vulnerable lonely high-profile targets all clumped up...) and used right...

Cons:
-No transport unlike pathfinders
-Assault snacks
-Still quite expensive per team.
-VERY static element
-It IS a heavy support slot they're taking over there...

So when to take them? I find they're a "not much heavy armor around" alternative to broadsides.

One sniper team just isn't worth the slot. Two or three though and that heavy support slot isn't feeling so badly used anymore. They're good guns: capable of downing light armor, and effectively acting as sniper rifles... except better against EVERYTHING short of a T7 or 8 MC (where the sniper rifle rule makes'em wound more often) with marine-slaying AP. And you get a markerlight.

So its a good package. That much is certain. They're good guns, with a networked markerlight, and a cost that's a real bargin points-wise. But you HAVE to have a slot you can work them into, and if you already have the pathfinders, its redundant.

If you want a fast moving set of markerlights and rifles, the pathfinders are a better option. If you want more rail-rifles for your money, and a stealth field to keep'em safe instead, the sniper drones are best. Fit some gundrones into that opening in the fast-attacks if you want, they could come in handy.

Right now I have 2 teams, working with a pair of railheads. Its enough, in an emergency, to handle the land-raider I sometimes face, and I've plenty of other ways to whack non-14 armor (12 and 11 sides/rears especially). I'd be worried against a monolith a bit though, but those warriors would be dropping like flies.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 06:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I play pure mech tau. Any assault elements the enemy has will go after the sniper teams immediately, because they're the easiest to catch. If there aren't kroot nearby, or the enemy relies heavily on assault, they're going down fast. 80 points for 3 shots at str 6 isn't so great either, I could pick up a crisis and a half for that.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 06:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think there's something to be said for forcing enemy units to chase down elements of your force. By having a few static units, especially with stealth fields, you force him to commit parts of his army to different objectives. This can make it nice when trying to seperate individual units for destrution.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 06:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

i don't plan on ever running any for a few reasons. i play mech tau. them being the only static long range unit will make them suck at finding targets, and are easily hidden from their sight. so in short i will have less people getting shot at by this unit and more guys concentrating on my devilfish, bad. i like to have a skyray with burst cannons to basicaly run in ahead as a distraction for stealth, crisis and firewarrior units. usualy when i do this right i set myself up for the "kill everything any of my guys can see" type scenario. basicaly i buy a skyray to blow up a bunch of stuff first turn and then run it on in and make it agressive so that the enemy tries to gun it down instead of my more important and fradgil devilfish. then i need 2 hammerheads. so i have no room. plus, i would rather take them on pathfinders, but my pathfinders have been sneaking along unscathed pretty well so far so i don't want to jinx it. also i hate ap 3 weapons. usualy not good for a lot of armies, and not the real punch of an ap2 weapon. not that i don't think they have their uses i just don't need 9 of them. i would only want three so therfore one pathfinder squad with them, if i ever decide to.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 07:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
I think there's something to be said for forcing enemy units to chase down elements of your force. By having a few static units, especially with stealth fields, you force him to commit parts of his army to different objectives. This can make it nice when trying to seperate individual units for destrution.
If I want to make my enemy go someplace, I dont put a sacrificial unit on the table to die. Just putting a unit that's tasty (like crisis suits) seemingly on their own lures the enemy quite nicely. If not crisis suits, then stealth suits are even better! Stealth fields drive shooty armies nuts, and often make opponents commit forces to their destruction. Stealthsuits make excellent lures; tasty and tricky lures.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 07:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They aren't there just for sacrificial purposes as I've found 36" range rail rifles tend to make good lures. After all, my opponents get tired of each team killing about 2 marines a turn.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 07:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The sniper drones are nothing more then the result of GW makeing Tau the new flavour of of the week.

*In the GW secret evil lair HQ*

Lord Kitten kill CEO- Already people, as usal, we need more money no matter the cost to the hobby, customers and our Eternal souls. Anybody got any new ideas?

Dark lord Head of manufacturing- What if we sell our souls?

Lord Kitten kill CEO- I SAID NEW IDEAS YOU FOOL!

The new Guy- What if we just "update" all the amries. Every few months we
ll redo a whole army, but make it greatly superor to the last codex and better then all the other armies. That way, every few months the peons will want to buy the team in the game.

Lord Kitten kill CEO- I like the way you think!

The sniper drones are nothing but marine melters(the last army to be powered up) and they can shoot you while you cant shoot them. Instead of stratagy with tau, you just need a rock sicor paper mentalty.

FWs kill hoards
Sniper Teams and Vespid kill MEQs
Plasma wielding suits kill Termies and other 2+
and Rail guns kill big bugs and every single bloody tank
Old 09 Aug 2006, 08:52   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have used them against necrons in my games (haven't had a chance to use them with SM's yet) and according to my opponents they are brutal for them. I only used one team as of now but the psychological effect was worth it. The necron players refused to move their troops out of cover and it helped downing destroyers, heavy destroyers and even wraiths. I run a hybrid army now and while i have maneuver elements pounding one flank , the sniper team and broadside team were holding the center. I do have to modify my list so i can have at least some kroot to protect these guys but i feel it's worth it for MEQ armies. I have bought 2 more teams and will incorporate this more into my lists.
Closed Thread