Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Destroying a Basilisk
Closed Thread
Old 08 Aug 2006, 22:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Destroying a Basilisk

My Dad collects the orks and has converted a basilisk, so I think it may cause difficulty to get in range, and even if I do it'll still be hard to retreat and either way even if I do make it he has a couple of shield mechs and grots who also work like a shield. My idea is to use seeking missiles wich I've only got two hammerheads to arm them on, and if you saw my forum I made earlier called "Tau Empire" I added just today an army list and on it I only have 6 pathfinders with marker lights and no one else with them. Can I get some hints on how to take out the basilisk?

If you agree that: Dieing tickles, copy this into your signature.

The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there!

These black dots are itchy!

Frag Weak, Hurdle the Dead!

Pwner has become the pwned!
Old 08 Aug 2006, 22:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Destroying a Basilisk

Deep-striking a Stealth squad or even a Sunforge or Death Rain suit behind it should take care of it very well.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Behemoth is a Towel
Deep-striking a Stealth squad or even a Sunforge or Death Rain suit behind it should take care of it very well.
Yes definitely one of the best strategies especially the low armour to the rear.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What do you mean by deep-striking, just as a charge kind of thing or is it something from the new codex?

The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there!

Old 08 Aug 2006, 22:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A squad of gun drones also work pretty well. They're a bit less pricey and more expendable than stealth or crisis suits. They also work wonders against Orks (who have had their mob size whittled down, or small squads of speed freaks).

You also have to think that against an Ork army a sunforge is a poor choice (unless they have a battle wagon), Only one S8 shot a turn...at 12"! At least at 18"(24") you'll be a bit more safe, and depending on the mob size, tear up units until they can be pinned. (Note: Pinning is really an after thought against Orks...it just takes so long to whittle the average 3 large mobs to avoid a massive assault that mostly pin tests are too late, and they'll generally pass anyways...).

The cheap little drones can also mess up artillery behind terrain, maybe even sneaking commandos, though I wouldn't bank on lucky dangerous terrain rolls all the time.

Anyways, save the great Elite slots for something else, and use up one of your fast attack for a squad of drones. 7-8 of them are basically the same points value of three stealths, and if (when) they are killed you won't feel too bad about the loss.

PS: We all mean Deep Striking. It's a special rule in the big rule book. It's kinda like parachuting...ask your dad, he'll give you the run down.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Alright thanks, now that you mention it I think a I remember somethin about it.

Old 08 Aug 2006, 23:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Piranhas!

Actually not so hot of an idea.... take too long to get there....

Gun drones then.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 00:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And gun drones will get there quicker? Piranhas can move 24" in a turn. They're fast attack, and will set up after the basilisk. There's no way you will need more than 36".

This is the kind of thing the Piranhas are made for. Use them as such.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 09 Aug 2006, 00:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Y Montyr
And gun drones will get there quicker?
Yes, by deep-strike. And drones won't be killed off before they reach their destination like Piranhas, due to them staying in reserves then deep-striking out, leaving no time for the enemy to react to their presence. They are also much cheaper.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 01:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use a team of two Piranhas against orcs. Against many other armies I use more, but 2 should be sufficient for most orc lists. Piranha have the speed to engage turn 2 (near gaurentee), and the punch to take care of business. T he free drones are just a bonus and are great for killing orcs.
Closed Thread