Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker Drones
Closed Thread
Old 08 Aug 2006, 01:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Marker Drones

I play Hybrid Tau, and I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile idea to put marker drones in a squad of static fire warriors. Usually mine don't go anywhere and they could always use the BS bonus.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 08 Aug 2006, 01:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Marker Drones

sure if you have the pts wh not you mite get off the shot to make your WF hit on bs4

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 08 Aug 2006, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

if they don't go anywhere... I guess.
Problem is they're extremely expensive...

If you have the points and those FW usually don't move at all, it might be worth it. Make sure to buy a markerlight for your Shas'Ui first.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by korik1
I play Hybrid Tau, and I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile idea to put marker drones in a squad of static fire warriors. Usually mine don't go anywhere and they could always use the BS bonus.
If you have the points. As already stated they are extremely expensive. However, if you get them in there without too much trouble they can be a worthwhile asset. They can provide nicely accurate (increased BS) markerlight shots that can be used by not only other firewarrior and Tau units, but the unit the drone is in (a first for the markerlight).
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 03:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

They benefit stealths better.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 03:51   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not really a big fan of marker drones. They're very expensive and greatly decrease mobility. Compare a 12-strong Fire Warrior team that's been nominated as an Ethereal's retinue. for 24 points, they have BS 4 all the time. For 30 points, they can have a marker drone that increases their BS to 4 only half the time.

Personally I'd rather just use the shas'ui as the squad's markerlight, but if you have the points and the model, go for it.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malphax
I'm not really a big fan of marker drones. They're very expensive and greatly decrease mobility. Compare a 12-strong Fire Warrior team that's been nominated as an Ethereal's retinue. for 24 points, they have BS 4 all the time. For 30 points, they can have a marker drone that increases their BS to 4 only half the time.
Yes, but then you have to have an Ethereal. That makes that option less... attractive. I would rather go with a Markerlight & Hard Wired Target Lock on all the Shas'Uis. The Target Lock is so that the Markerlight can be used on a unit that the fire Warriors can not hurt.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 03:57   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderous
They benefit stealths better.
You can't be serious. In order for the markerlights to fire, the stealth squad would have to remain stationary for the movement phase. Since I know very few enemy commanders that will just leave a squad in range of stealthsuits, especially ones w/ marker drones (can we say BS 5 SS's? Yeah, I knew you could..), that means they had to end the PREVIOUS turn in range of some aspect of the enemy force. Yeah, sure, they have stealthfields, but that's not something you want to bet on when it comes down to loosing a fairly expensive squad.

Perhaps it fits your style of play, and that's fine, I'm not trying to dis your play style. But I feel that stealths should constantly be on the move, baiting, luring, etc. Most armies are well aware of what a single SS team is capable of & just hanging them out there for them to use an expensive upgrade kinda seems anti-climactic to me.

However, the drones on the FW squad is a good place for them if you do have the points. Also, throwing a couple in w/ your pathfinder team (if you run one) is also not a bad idea. You add two more ablative wounds to the squad (almost a must for PF's) & you won't have to worry about the squad being less mobile due to the addition of a heavy weapon.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 05:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Marker Drones are too expensive to use. For thirty points you could get three Fire Warriors which kill people better than a shiny light. If you want markerlights then have two squads w/markerlights and use them to support each other.

Old 08 Aug 2006, 13:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

2 Squads supporting each other is the way to go but sometimes you only want 1 static squad and i think 2 marker drones could be very useful if you have the spare points. If you happen to hit with both lights then your FW are BS5.
Closed Thread