Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which crisis configs against nids??
Closed Thread
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Which crisis configs against nids??

What weapon loadouts would you favor for your crisis suits against various Nids and why?

I like the AFP for starters. With the abilities to fire without of line of sight, remove cover saves, and JSJ platform I think this weapon is a must in an anti swarm nid list.

For regular crisis suis, the TL-Flamer would be good eith a drone controller and 2 gun drones. as would a burst cannon/missile pod/multi tracker combo.

Against Godzilla nids I'd like fusion blasters and missile pods.

What about you?
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Which crisis configs against nids??

Burst Cannon and Plasma Rifle combination works because of the high rate of fire and the AP 2 helps to kill the godzillas. For Godzilla lists I would take either Helios or Fusion, Missile.

Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

When it comes to Tyranid, nearly every form of that list, I have two weapons of choice, but only one major preference in terms of what I find always works, no matter the case. And that simple thing is twin-linked missile pods. Burst Cannons are lovely, twin-linked even better. The other weapons are wonderful as well. Unfortunately, plasma is actually less desirable against Tyranid, due to the T6 of the targets that plasma would be taken up against. But that works out in our favor, since the cost of Plasma is so high, while other weapons, are lower (and more useful actually).

But in the end, linked Missile Pods just do the "do it all" job. They ignore pretty much all the saves in the bug list, except for the heavier end bugs (where it quickly becomes 3+, 2+). But everything else is wounded on a 2+ and either removed outright, or requires a cover save to be passed prior. The range and assault nature does it all. Instead of dancing a line, I can simply fire and continually fall back as long as possible, until I'm just out of space. But mainly, they're wonderful for tearing down the synapse network. Granted, most good Tyranid players will have far more synapse than you can remove, but it helps a lot to limit movement, due to limited synapse on the edges, and requiring the bugs to focus inwards, where the synapse is and not allow them to spread out. Pods help immensely in the removal of those Warriors.

The runner up for me is the Fusion Blaster. The simple reason for this is the flying Tyrant and the Carnfiex. The Tyrant comes to us, so range isn't an issue. That's one wound from a linked fusion blaster. A precious wound. As for the carnifex, they're slow, and usually at the tail end of the horde. A linked fusion suit that deep strikes serves two purposes: (a) it puts a wound on said carnifex, and (b) continues to do so, each turn, or draws the attention of the carnifex who then either shoots the suit or assaults the suit. Either way, it works in your favor, since that's less shots elseware (like against a skimmer) and the assault prevents further advancing of the gentle giant.

Common anti-bug setup you'll find me using (though not just for bugs, pretty universal):

XV8 Crisis
-Twinlinked Missile Pods
-Flamer

Simple and to the point. The pods stream, linked for accuracy. Once I'm out of room to run, if I still have bugs on me, nothing says love'n like a flamer, simply moving up and placing the template--sure beats doing nothing and then simply being assaulted. Might as well go out with a little bang.

Really though, when it comes to bug fights, I keep it light on the Crisis. They're simply assault bait against several speedy variants of the army. I put a lot more of my trust into the Warfish for bug splattering goodness.

Cheers!
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright. I'll put all our "differences" aside and bring up another anti-nid tactica thingy-a-bobby. Unlike Mal, I prefer specific roles for my suits. Not nessecarily the "all-comers" configs.

Brightwind: (Plasma + BC + MT)This baby will pump out the highest number of shots compared to any other config. 2 are anti-Godzilla while the other 3 are extremely good anti-horde. WHen I face Nids, almost all my suits are Brightwinds (except for my commander). However, they have a pretty short range (12" to be effective) and usually in CC range. Because of this, I would make extreme use of JSJ. Drone Controllers will help, plus they add an additional 2 shots (or 2 shield gens).

Helios: (Plasma + FB + MT)Usually reserved for Commanders. High pionts cost must equal high death toll in my books. With 60% of the shots of a Brightwind, all shots must count. So my high BS Commanders are given the more tricky guns. Basically, they are Godzilla-hunters. No amount of extrended carapace will save Tyrants, Carnies, Zopes from this bad-boy. However, with the same range of as the Brightwind, there's almost a garunteed CC round. So there is a good reason why you should invest in a VRT (If the suit somehow survives contact with Godzilla). However, if you get first strike, there's a good chance that you would inflict 1-2 wounds (on occasion 3).

Aurora: (CIB + BC/Plasma + MT)Again a Command suit. This generates 7-8 shots. However, this is NOT anti-Godzilla. the GSoD's (Gatling Strobelight of Doom aka CIB) strength does not cut it. So don't try to take Godzillas down (even if it's AP1). Usually, if a Nid player sees you with this, he WILL aim every gun at you. The ability to take down a sizable portion of a Nid squad is a very scary thing (at least for your opponent). So I would hide him in a bunch of drones (don't attach him, otherwise he would loose his IC status).
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Mal-
I like how you think MP/Fusion/Flamers. Love em against nids.

Never tried the version you run though. But I think I'll give it a go.

Try these two units sometime when your bug hunting and let me know how it goes.

3 crisis suits, 3 TL-Flamers, 'Vre, AFP, HWMT, 6 Gun Drones = 188 points.

These guys dont need markerlight hits and are kitted to bag nids up close and personal. Only the gun drones allow any kind of cover save, but they pin. Maybe the footprint is too big and I should take it sown to 2 suits and 4 drones, but I think the nids this unit could kill every turn would be sweet.

3 crisis suits, 3 TL-MP, 3Fusion, = 165 points

This unit I'm a little less sure on, they kinda rely on a markerlight hit for their close range, and your going to need to position them where they can hit the big stuff. But they should be able to hang out around whatever markerlight carrying elements you have, and support from range with the missile pods.

Old 07 Aug 2006, 04:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

I have used the AFP as well as linked flamers. I can honestly say it's not worth it. The potent bug removal is absolute. The flamers do lots and lots of damage. But it quickly bottoms out. Also, the AFP is fun but really, it's not that good of a weapon in the end. The (in)accuracy of it often times puts it in a position where minimal casualties are occurring, and where a burst cannon literally would have caused more damage.

The reason it doesn't work out, is because you're paying a premium for template attacks, on a unit which has to be up close, and is not a vehicle. For starters, you have to literally kill your target, or your target takes you in combat, and in combat you stay--until a bigger brother comes along to finish you off. This works against slow moving Gaunts (non-beasty movement), and can work against Genestealers that infiltrate against you--but they often have 4+ saves and your casualties will generally not be enough (and then you are in assault with a Broodlord and it's lights out for those suits without a chance). The other problem is that many of the gaunts you seek to punish are ones that move so fast that you simply will either be out of range to use templates, or in assault. With very few moments between games for an "in between." And even if you do pull it off, the suits rarely have another target. At that point, most other bugs are either in assault, with something else, or too far away for you to use templates upon. In the end, templates are very last resort. Focusing on them, really is losing points out to "waiting" for a "spectacular kill" when you could have done more damage over the course of the game, with something else more reliably.

As for suits that rely on markerlight guidance, I wouldn't put my reliance in that. Bugs move too quickly on foot for a stationary markerlight to be relied upon to drive home wounds on suits elseware. When it comes to the bug hunt, I prefer the only things that are stationary be things that are critical and necessary (such as an XV88 putting holes in a Carnifex). When it comes to bug hunt, I'm much more inclined to use more Kroot and Warfish.

Just a note on that: For 188 points, you could have purchased 26 Kroot. 26 Kroot have 26 wounds, and can hit those very same bugs at 24 inches away from covered positions. At 24 inch range, against normal Gaunts (and Hormagaunts), that's an average of 9 casualties on bugs with T3 and 6+ saves. Then as they approach, Kroot can use rapid-fire, and make that number double. The difference is, you beat half of them down (if not all of them), and if they do make it to assault, you outnumber them 3 to 1 and win, allowing you to then shoot your next target. And of course, pushing a Skimmer between the assault path of those bugs and those Kroot, makes it all the better often times.

Kroot are one of your best friends, when it comes to Tyranid (even the Zilla variants).

Cheers!
Old 07 Aug 2006, 05:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

if the AFP had better range it would rock. I've used it with mixed results. If it doesn't decide to scatter all over, a monat with AFP + missiles (for A) when its far, and B) if there's something more important to shoot at or only zillas left) does quite well if you can catch a horde of the little guys in a tight-spot.

CIB+Plasma wrecks havoc on nids: the little guys will take it rather badly, even when upped to 4+ armor. Proven rather reliable for me against Zoanthropes and genestealers, as well as the little guardian-bugs around a non-flying tyrant. ROF+AP = happy happy tau, dead nids.

MalVeauX's got it dead on for the missiles. The only army the missiles are better suited for, I'd say, is the dark eldar. M.pods give you range (hey! we actually outrange all enemies, more or less, with'em when fighting nids!), just the right amount of AP for everything 'cept the big bugs, and a lot of power for a juicy 2+ wound almost all the time (not to mention two shots.)

Burst cannons are... not so great. Use stealth-suits for those.

So all in all I'd say that the good old overly-versatile-for-its-price-in-other-situations fireknife is pretty much the ideal addition to a good number of pulse-weapons, smart missiles and a little handful of railguns, against the bugs.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 05:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks a lot, I really like the CIB/plasma thing.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 16:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok for ur commander have a Burst cannon and a Cyclonic ion blaster. If u want pack a missle pod. normal crisis suits burst cannon missle pod and fusion blaster. only use fusion blaster if ur up against a large monster. ;D

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 07 Aug 2006, 16:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Mal, I can't believe you are a fan of the Missile Pod. I just argued in a different thread that it's a useless weapon against Tyranids.

The only "advantage" that I see it having is range and Strength, but considering that the MCs where I play (unless winged) have a Sv 2+, the Missile Pod just doesn't get the job done.

Instead I do TL FB/flamer for Deep Strike, and I add Piranha. My Shas'El/O (and I use two more and more) will pack the FB/PR for versatility, but otherwise, to me the only thing that a MP reliably kills is up-armored genestealers. But a Sv 4 isn't all that tough to beat with Fire Warriors.

I'm definitely not a fan of the MP (or the PR, but I still take them on Shas'Els)
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Closed Thread