Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about Kroot
Closed Thread
Old 07 Aug 2006, 01:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Question about Kroot

Does anyone have any good tactics/lists for running a whole bunch of kroot in a tau army not a kroot mercenary list? Is it even worth i or does it depend on amount of forests/terrain?
Old 07 Aug 2006, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Question about Kroot

There are many tactics for using kroot, one is placing kroot with krootox 7" into a wood and since they can shoot 12" through jungle they will really annoy your opponent. The main disadvantage of kroot is they don't have any armour save. This means they will get shot up quickly so make good use of them. Also don't forget a maxed out kroot squad will deliver 112 attacks on the charge. Thats a lot of attacks!!
Old 07 Aug 2006, 02:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I like using Kroot as a deterrent deployed into cover in the middle of the table. They are cheap enough that you can keep them out of sight for a few turns without wasting too much, and they are good for disrupting enemy advances through the center. They are also a fantastic shield for static Fire Warriors. Just keep the Kroot about 2-4" behind the Fire Warriors in cover, and deploy the Shas in a Brace formation. If someone is dumb enough to charge them from long range, the Fire Warriors can break off and regroup. Even if they fail to regroup, the Kroot will have the charge next turn. If they do regroup, you also have the option to rapid-fire with both. If the enemy tries to get within short range, they will need to weather long range fire from both units.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

Kroot are widely talked about, so my first suggestion would be the strategy of searching. I would also highly suggest a little browsing of the Important Topics sticky.

Anyhow, as for Kroot themselves--a few things I've come to appreciate:

- Kroot are better at shooting than combat, truly. Sure, you can be dazzled by "on the charge" examples, but in the end, unless they win assault they simply lose lives. In the shooting phase, they can routinely throw out very decent damage and in many situations, an opponent will be far more pressured to fire at other units, allowing Kroot to get quite a work out in the game. Laying them in cover, obviously makes them more durable. For a cheap fire base, Kroot are quite good. I would even go as far as to say that they have advantages over Fire Warriors, even as shooting units. Cheap effective bolter class weaponry, sitting in free cover, makes for quite a durable infantry unit, given the cost. Now, that's not to say that Kroot shouldn't be in assault ever, but shooting is far more attractive in most situations--but there are good times, when assaulting is critical (such as a counter charge).

- Infiltration is one of the prime reasons most people make a tool of Kroot. They're an infantry troop with built in mobility, without the price tag of a transport. A few infiltrating Kroot are cheap, and serve very important functions. Infiltration does a lot more than simply puts us close to the enemy. Infiltration, pushes the enemy further away from us. If you've ever battled a trait heavy Space Marine army where all the Tacticals infiltrate into your face with bolter range, and more, it can be a severe headache. As can the Alpha Legion, from Chaos. The same can be so, with infiltrating units as simple as Genestealers and Broodlords from the Tyranid. Infiltration gives us a barrier, a fence, that we can put up even if we don't get first placement in order to fend off a great portion of something that our opponent was counting on. That's tempo denial. Instead of having an enemy getting all of their basic weaponry in range of our entire army, on turn one, at the sacrifice of having all of our guns on them as well (which is a good trade when you're a marine, they win those fire fights), we can push them back. Deny them that critical range, and deny them that opportunity to take the first shots and use every gun to full effect from the word "go." On the other hand, we can still hit them in many situations. Kroot are excellent at building a fence. Small bands can prevent very big problems. And we don't even pay for it, so you're not looking at an empty upgrade if you're stuck on Alpha level gaming. And of course, free infiltration leads to free cover saves (better than armor).

- Target Priority checks are a big deal. Even above average leadership can fail a check. And they do. Kroot, forming fences as described above, also perform a secondary task of ensuring that all shots from infantry units at our other infantry units, require a target priority check or they'll be forced to fire upon the Kroot. That's a good deal, for not having to buy anything to pull it off. Ld8 is pretty common, in many armies' infantry. A few checks, will result in a fail often enough.

- Kroot make great wardens. If you're facing someone who is going to slam into you with not one, but two fast moving first and 2nd turn assault units (biker marine characters, chaos daemonic speed characters and destroyer body necron lords come to mind) it's often our less mobile and sometimes buried units which are the prime target of that assault (eg; broadsides, crisis, etc). When facing this kind of battle, those characters will be seen on the board, before your Kroot are deployed. You will know what it is, and when it comes time to deploy Kroot, you have the option (if you need it) to use Kroot to form a warden around a unit that you think is going to be a prime assault target. This prevents that possible assault, but also further does more. If the assaulter wants to ensure that assault does happen, then a good deal of shooting has to be dedicated to try to flush off the Kroot to make the assault path clear. That's both control and denial, all at once. This shouldn't be necessary very often, but if you come across an aggressive character such as that, it can be an all or nothing problem--if you dedicate everything to them, you literally lose a turn for the better portion of the army. If you ignore it, and instead, focus elseware and simply stall them, you don't lose that turn. Kroot can help make it happen, and their deployment allows you the choice.

- Mission objectives. Often times, you're required to be somewhere, or have scoring units. Well, 10x Kroot at 70 points can infiltrate into obscure portions of the board, be out of the fight pretty much unless your opponent actually dedicates time and resources of their pressure few turns to attempt to gun them down, amidst all our other more potent and attractive units. For very little, you can throw several good sized units on the board, and they can hold quarters, reserve their victory points and often times, simply be another scoring unit to help you win via objectives. They never have to take a shot, nor be shot at, sometimes.

Cheers!
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm thinking about adding maybe a unit or two to an 1850 point list. How many do you like per unit when used in infiltration roles. Also, would you take 1 or 2 units?

I'm leaning toward 1 or 2 units of 10.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
I'm thinking about adding maybe a unit or two to an 1850 point list. How many do you like per unit when used in infiltration roles. Also, would you take 1 or 2 units?

I'm leaning toward 1 or 2 units of 10.
I prefer lean and mean. More units is better than larger units, for my uses. I like "layered" Kroot (ie: multiple squads, together). In that sense, I generally use 10x man squads. At the most, sometimes 12x man squads if I feel the need to get more bodies on the board. Any more than that, is just asking to be a bummer when their moral fails and you see an excess of 8~10 remaining Kroot from a formally larger squad running off for good.

While you're required to have at least a single squad of Fire Warriors, there's nothing wrong with taking no more Fire Warriors than that, and using your Troop slots to take only Kroot. You can get 2 squads for a 140 point price tag. That's fantastic. You can get a third and go to 210 points. Still, fantastic. Three scoring units, with several advantages that work in several intertwining ways.

Cheers!
Old 07 Aug 2006, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks, I think I'll run 2 x 10 man squads.
Closed Thread