Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmers. We love em, but why?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Skimmers. We love em, but why?

I was curious as to what people thought the most important advantage a skimmer gives a tau commander?

I mean our highest armor value is not as good as a land raider or a russ, or a monolith and our transports don't have fire points. They certainly aren't any cheaper.
And even with the "moving fast" rule, we still lose big on an immobilised, weapon destroyed or even a stunned result.

With these deficiencies, what is it that makes you like them?

Also what do you think are the benefits, if any, to running lots and lots of skimmers?

Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Skimmers we love em, but why?

the fact that its our only kind of vehicle might be why. Even if we dont like it, we have to live with it, so why not like it.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

But what is it about them that you do like. What appeals to you personally. I'm assuming the vehicles were part of your decision when you decided to play tau.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I played Tau because of the big guns and crisis suits but the skimmers are great because of the faster movement and the fact you can move over terrain.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
But what is it about them that you do like. What appeals to you personally. I'm assuming the vehicles were part of your decision when you decided to play tau.
They look awesome. Also, rules-wise, skimmers jump over terrain/obstacles, making them extra mobile. They also don't block LOS, making them great for screening assaults.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The ability to allow firing but prevent hostile charges is essential to an army like the Tau. Also, the ability to move over terrain and apply full firepower having moved 12" makes the Tau tanks far supperior in terms of mobility and firepower to their treaded counterparts.

In terms of protection, being a Skimmer makes a Tau vehicle much more survivable than most others - only being glanced, the ability to reroll fatal damage... it's superb.

And the armour of Tau vehicles isn't even that bad - the Hammerhead sports better side armour than the Preadator, and the Devilfish is tougher than a Chimera or Rhino. Heck, the Piranha is more durable than a Vyper or Land Speeder.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
They look awesome. Also, rules-wise, skimmers jump over terrain/obstacles, making them extra mobile. They also don't block LOS, making them great for screening assaults.
Thats my favorite rules, goes over terrain, and doesn't block LOS.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why do we love skimmers? Lets see:

Speed: (Dark) Eldar and Orks are the only races that are faster than us. That means we can either run circles around the enemy (not a very smart thing to do) or be able to move (on average) 6" move than most tanks and still fire all our guns.

Armour: Hammerhead armour may not be Landraider armour, but it's very decent for it's class. No other skimmer sports our armour. Coupled with our DL and the now redudant DP, it's realtively hard to kill a Hammerhead (though 90% of SMurf plasyers have at least 5 buried lascannons...)

Targeting: No other tank, save a Titan or a Super-heavy, has the ability to target 2 different targets. With the TL we can. Thus, our fishes are very good at multi-tasking.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 23:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Personally? THey look awesome. I like Fluff for my armies, and Skimmers provide some unique Fluff.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 00:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

Who doesnt like a vehicle that floats in the air? Its frictionless fun!