Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

ion guns, need more of
Closed Thread
Old 16 Dec 2004, 06:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default ion guns, need more of

i think the tau need more stuff that they can put the ion cannon on. i mean, it can only be put on the hammerhead *and *i have a railgun on mine, but *still want one in my army > i'm going to put one on my second hammerhead but then i wont have more submunitions blasts. maybe there should be an upgrade fore the broadside or something. i was wondering what thoughts you guys have on this.
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 06:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: ion guns, need more of

Bill, I've tried.
An Ion cannon does not look good on a broadside.
I'm with you, man. I really am, but it just can't happen.
Here's a trick though:
Don't glue your gun to the turret. Put together and paint both guns and swap them around.
I do it all the time.

In fact, had I thought of it sooner, I probably would have made it so that my Hammerheads could be used alternitavely as Devilfish. But I didn't. :-\

Meh. What're you gonna do.

Fine indeed.

http:/nyquildreams.com
Old 16 Dec 2004, 07:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Thats what I'm trying to do atm.. although I'm trying to devise a way to secure the front turret without glue whilst also lacking magnets.. and the same thing with the main turret.. do you reckon blu tack would work?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 08:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have 3 HH and all of them have modular turets, i didn't glued them on the tank so they can rotate freely, i didn't glue the gun on the turet, so i can swap the ion cannon and rail gun, and i also get new Forge world turets which i can swap them on my Hammerheads, now the system is great and very variable. But i don't see any way to change mu HH to devilfish without much problems and it seems that the changed devilfish can't look good.

But yes the Ion cannon is one of the least used weapons in tau army and i would like to see some new unit with it. (And it would be great if it could be something different than Heavy support).
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Converting a Hammerhead into a Devilfish (and back again) (external link to 40konline)

Atm i'm trying to do that.. without extra weapons sprue or magnets :S..
Old 16 Dec 2004, 13:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Call GW, and order the hammerhead turret sprue, its like $6.00. MAke two complete turrets, 1 Ion and 1 Railgun and swap based on who you are fighting. Personall I think the rail guns do better on broadsides and the hammerhead does better with the Ion cannon, but thats me.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agreed. The Tau lack an efficient use for the Ion cannon. Granted, I like Col Wolfe stated, Broadsides are better for the Railgun, and the Hammerhead is excellant for the Ion Cannon. Its just a matter of statistics.

3 BS3(or is it 4?) TL Rail Guns Vs 1 BS4 Railgun

Personally I'd choose the Broadsides. This just totally blows my prospect of the uses of railguns outta the water. I never really thought about taking Broadsides for the anti tank, and the Ion Cannon for the light armor or infantry. Shows how narrow my thinking is :P. Could explain my previously unexplainable poor gaming, despite the lists I make.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

but what you fail to equate wiggs is the devastating power of the submunitions blast, oddly enough this kills more marines than the ion cannnon funny that ;D also 'sides are ugly and can kill a makximum of 3 models a turn max. HH can kill more and is harder to kill in return.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

sides can kill max 5 models per turn....potenitally 4 strength 5 and a railgun shot
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The debate of "more shots" vs "anti-armor" is about the same as choosing between investing money or spending it on the lottery. *With the "More Shots" debate, the idea is to play chance, and bet on the Marine missing a few of those 3+ saves; with the "Anti-Armor" side, the idea is to completely remove that chance entirely. *Both sides have merit, and it's a good, workable method no matter which way you look at it.

For myself, the main reason the Hammerhead w/ Rail Gun works out is the versatility of the weapon. *I can go from solid-shot to submunition, and deal with vehicles or personnel with equal ease. *The only thing I lose in this equation is the ability to deal with powered armor troopers.

As far as other choices go, it all depends on the each person's method of play, a preference for mobility and maneuver or the desire for more powerful firebases. *When all is said and done, a mix of both probably would not hurt (as mentioned above). *Two Hammerheads with Ion Cannons teamed with a trio of Broadsides could prove to be an effective, dangerous mix. *Neither element of the force could be easily ignored, and every part can inflict supreme amounts of harm on whatever target is selected.

Closed Thread