Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is this a worthwhile tactic for pathfinders?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 07:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Is this a worthwhile tactic for pathfinders?

I have been considering fielding a unit of 6-8 pathfinders, 3 with rail rifle and the shas with a target lock and 2 marker drones. That gives me the 3 rifles that can shoot using the shas markerdrones as they count as networked and another 3-5 markerlights that can light up a different unit.

Has anyone tried this and do you think it's worthwhile?
Old 06 Aug 2006, 07:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Is this a worthwhile tactic for pathfinders?

Unfortunately, most things that can take a marker drone can also just buy the regular markerlight for way, WAY cheaper. Do you really need that many more in the same unit?

Your idea does have one very strong point though: Unlike placing them... well... anywhere else really, marker drones wouldn't actually slow down a unit of pathfinders. So if you're going to sink those points for them anywhere, they may as well be it. I'm just not sure how useful it is since markerlights can't benefit from other markerlights to my knowledge...
Old 06 Aug 2006, 08:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your setup may be illegal, since the drones themselves do not have the target lock and the shasui doesn't "shoot" the marker drones, they shoot themselves, using their BS.

And Nova why wouldn't they slow them down, they are heavy weapons and the drones don' have an ASS or anything?
Old 06 Aug 2006, 09:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Israfel is right.

Markerlights are Heavy1

You need a targetlock on your markerdrones to fire at a different target than the rest of the unit. The drones are a part of the unit and not an extension of their user.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 10:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Are you positive about them not being an extention of the user as the user has a drone controller which to me sounds as if he controls the drones. If the user dies the drones are removed which is different to drones on their own. If a vehicle has a target lock i believe the drones can benefit from it too and fire at a different target.

Old 06 Aug 2006, 12:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconrider
That gives me the 3 rifles that can shoot using the shas markerdrones
Actually, they cannot shoot using the markerdrones, only the shas'ui can because he is the one holding the controller. If the rifle bearers are going to shoot their markerlights they must do that instead of their rifles, and that is a pretty big waste of the extra points you spent on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconrider
and another 3-5 markerlights that can light up a different unit.
No, only the shas'ui can light up a different unit as he is the one holding the target lock.

Basically, you had a good list, you just had the tactics it could use all wrong (illegally used). The only one that can shoot at a different unit and shoot using the markerdrones is the shas'ui of the team, as he is the only one with access to the target lock, and drone controller.

Another way to use this team would be to have all of the Pathfinders (including rifles) shoot at one unit, and then have the shas'ui with markerlight, drones, and target lock shoot at another. In mathhammer that's 1.5 attached markerlights, it's legal, and effective enough.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 14:20   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What you said is what i was trying to say. The shas and markerdrones can target 1 unit while the other pathfinders can target another. The railrifle guys can as they have target lock fire upon the unit that the shas has lit up using his markerdrones. Does that make it clearer, i didn't mean the railrifle guys shooting markerlights as they don't have any cause they get replaced by the railrifle and target lock.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 17:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The drones have a seperate statline and BS. The drones do not use the conrollers BS, therefore the controller is not directlly "firing" the drones. So, the drones themselves would have to have the target locks in order to shoot at any target other than the rest of the unit.

My reaoning for this is simple. Consider sniper drones. The controller/spotter is not equipped with a target lock, but the drones are and can then fire at different targets. If they weren't equipped with those target locks they'd have to fire "as a unit" or all at the same target.

Since the marker drones in your pathfinder squad are technically members of the unit (count for morale, victory point purposes) then unless they have target locks they have to fire with the rest of the unit. If the rules on target locks said "enables the model and any drones he controls to fire at a seperate target" then you'd be correct, but it just says "enables the model target a seperate aenemy unit than that engaged by the rest of his own unit." Under drones it syas they are "independant artificial intelligences", so I'd say they fire like other members of the unit.

If the pathfinder shas'ui had a markerlight in addition to the target lock, than he would be able to markerlight a seperate unit.

But as it stands the drones will have to shoot at the unit the rest of the Shas'la shoot at.

Old 06 Aug 2006, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Israfel has it. The Drone Controller does not make the drones a separate unit with the Shas'ui. They must fire at the same target as the rest of the squad. Unless the model itself is equipped with a Target Lock, it can not split off its fire, even if it is a drone. A FAQ might clear that up if GW's intent was different, but that is how the rules are written at the moment.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That would be nice if GW let us use the controllers upgrades through the drones.

Could you imagine the potential of a crisis suit with 2 marker drones on it, a target array, CIB, and HWTL? The drones would gain a BS 4 and the ability to shoot at different targerts. It would cost 125 points though.

Closed Thread