Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A new plan
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default A new plan

So... I'm thinking about dumping my trusty Deathrains due to my changing metagame. Less people are taking transports.

I was thinking of replacing them with a minimized squad of Stealthsuits w/ 7 Marker lights. I'd loose my pathfinders for things that can strike with almost total impunity, are more mobile, and have better armor.

I also will take fusion blaster Pirranahs in multiple fast attack squads. How does it sound to you?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 06 Aug 2006, 08:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: A new plan

Wow, that stealth team sounds chancy

You know I love the Piranhas though ;D
Old 06 Aug 2006, 10:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I just did the math, and the cost is utterly prohibitive. 290 points for something as good as a 200 pt Pathfinder squad.

Is the stealth armor, infiltration, and jetpack worth it? I'm loosing a Devilfish and weight of fire... grr...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 06 Aug 2006, 11:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A pity about the cost.

I would be happy to take Pathfinders; if only they didn't have the mandatory Devilfish!
It costs 80 points minimum and by the time pathfinders board, travel a reasonable distance, disembark and then wait 'till they can fire again, the game is over (remember this ony happens when the enemy get close to your lines) :-\

It seems like an excuse to sell more models on the part of GW; it really annoys me, I have only one DF model and it has to be used on the pathfinders rather than the FWs where it would actually be useful. >

Well thats my rant for the day .

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 06 Aug 2006, 12:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright, with less enemy tanks the deathrains won't be the most helpful (except with very large monstrosities), so dumpin' them isn't that bad of an idea.

Less enemy tanks means more infantry, so the Stealths will hit payday. Burst cannons even in small amounts cause excellent damage to GEQs and MEQs. With their markerlights, and mobility via stealth+jetpack they can give a lot of +1 BS to your fellow Tau soldiers. Take them. With the excellent amount of markerlights in your Stealth team the Pathfinders are really without a job, as their carbines are less effective in general then the burst cannons in your Stealth squad (as they both have a lot of markerlights you just compare their normal weapons).

Losing a Devilfish is a pretty big thing, but if it was only on the field to help out Pathfinders and transport them it won't matter ('cause you don't have the Pathfinders). If you have enough points think about taking the Pathfinder's devilfish as a normal troop transport.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 14:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why put 7 markerlights in one squad. Why not go with minimal Stealth team and a markerlight on the Team Leader (with a Targeting Array support system), 2 Marker Drones in the Stealth Team, and then buy a Sniper Drone Team? If you put Arrays on the other two members of the Stealth Team then you have a unit that has Marine gunnery skill, and the whole unit will only cost you 280 pts.

For this price you get the following:

3 Stealth Suits (Teamleader with a Markerlight) at Marine Gunnery
2 Marker Drones
1 Sniper Team leader with a Networked Markerlight and Marine Gunnery
3 Sniper Drones with normal Fire Warrior Gunnery, Target lock, AND a Rail Rifle.

Sure you lose 3 Markerlights, but 2 of them are at better gunnery, and you gain 3 rail rifles that are stealthed and you also save 10 pts. Also when the fecal matter hits the rotary air circulator =^.^= then the Stealth Team can mix it up with firing their Burst Cannons and have a GOOD chance of hitting and messing things up.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 04:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
If you have enough points think about taking the Pathfinder's devilfish as a normal troop transport.
How?

Devilfish are dedicated transports, they can only take the PF teams (when purchased for them).
That is why they are so useless.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 08 Aug 2006, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Heya,

Why do you need 7 markerlights anyways? Really, armies don't need many markerlights to fuel them. You don't need every unit to be buffed. To accomplish that, actually makes it less and less efficient, due to the cost of the increased markerlights. All it takes is a few lights to actually buff the one thing you need each turn, or the two things you need each turn the most. Each light benefits the whole unit that uses it. That helps loads. It's not like it used to be, as you're well aware. But still taking tons of lights reflects that old way of going about it. Instead, look into taking a few lights with decent odds of working out. 2 lights that are "hits" each turn, is pretty much a solid point of lighting (unless you're using seekers exclusively, then it's poor).

3x Stealths
-Shas'vre with Markerlight
Each suit with 2x Marker Drones

All that for 3~4 actual markerlight hits?

If you simply had a few Fire Warriors here and there in the list, you could just add a markerlight and spread that out. Then you increase your ability to maintain line of sight throughout the board, and not just from one tiny point. Then supplement that with a small stealth team perhaps.

Most importantly though, think of this: What are you going to be guiding?

That should really show you where you need the lights and how many you'll need.

Cheers!
Old 08 Aug 2006, 08:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd say take the stealths with the team leader's markerlight, but leave other markerlights to your FW shas'Ui. If you have two squads of warriors, that's two markerlights right there. Plus one or two depending on how many stealth squads you took.

Four, maybe a fifth somewhere if you have yet more warriors, and a few seekers spread among your skimmers should replace the deathrains nicely. bit more expensive, but you ARE replacing them with a lot of stuff.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 11:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers
Devilfish are dedicated transports, they can only take the PF teams (when purchased for them).
I'm simply saying when you don't take the pathfinders use their devilfish as a normal troop transport. When the pathfinders aren't on the board you might as well not waste their transport if you have the extra points.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Closed Thread