Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights: no place for them in an mechanized army?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Markerlights: no place for them in an mechanized army?

one of the things tau is definately known for is makerlights, also mobility. Sure markerlights are great with all their awesome abilities they bring but there's that word we all fear to have an a weapon system in an high-mobility army: heavy #.

it brings much but also hinders what we hold so dearly in a tau mechanized army: MOBILITY. So do markerlights attributes outweigh its negatives or should we just leave them for the static tau armies? what you guys think?
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: markerlights: no place for them in an mechanized army?

if you want to bring marker light but don't want to have any static elements then take a skyray

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

firewarriors can carry markerlights with them onboard the devilfish and fire whenever they use long range. pathfinders have tons of mobility, esspecialy at the begining of the game with their scout movement. skyrays are very mobile and can sport 2 bs 4 multi tracked markerlights.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoQuerak
firewarriors can carry markerlights with them onboard the devilfish and fire whenever they use long range. pathfinders have tons of mobility, esspecialy at the begining of the game with their scout movement. skyrays are very mobile and can sport 2 bs 4 multi tracked markerlights.
yes very true, but the thing im stressing is the fact you have to stand still to shoot it. So you can take markerlights in a pretty diverse manor, actually to everyone that has access to the wargear! But in a mechanized army we strive on putting on the hurt while on the go, swift movements with decisive blows, sure i a take a marker drone on my stealths are my shas'ui fire warrior can take a markerlight but we have a problem: hindered movement (and in the case of FOF even firepower!) so im just asking if anyone sees otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
if you want to bring marker light but don't want to have any static elements then take a skyray
yea thats like the only way to bring makerlights in with mobility, unfornutately its quite costly, and in my opinion, not worth the points
Old 06 Aug 2006, 06:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

pathfinders i use are protected by advancing devilfish with firwarriors, units have to get past the firewarriors to get to the pathfinders, and they can allways mount up.

the sky ray is kind of like the equivilent of a chaplain except instead of a guy with a power weapon it is a ship with a bunch of add on missles. you save a lot of points if you would ever take seeker missles on somthing else. it's like 80 points for a mobile markerlighting unit with 13 armor and burst cannons then 60 points for rockets and i think it is very much worth taking one.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 07:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Find some points to take some sniper drones and you can have them hide in the back and kill meq and msrkerlight some targets for you. You could add markerlights with some cheap gue'la teams if you need more and place them with the snipers.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 07:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could always use the humble little Tetra. Mobile (BS4) markerlights.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exokan
You could always use the humble little Tetra. Mobile (BS4) markerlights.
God yes, but their forgeworld rules. If I use em, someones gonna pull thei citadel jounal out and annihilate me. :-[
Old 06 Aug 2006, 15:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sniper drones don't cut it. Unless I misread the codex and it says it can JSJ, then I'm sorry. But I thought this thread was about MOBILE markerlights.

Old 06 Aug 2006, 16:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

This is dumb... What exactly do markerlights do? I know they add accuracy, but how exactly?

Thanks
Closed Thread