Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pirahnas or No Pirahnas?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Pirahnas or No Pirahnas?

Hey guys!

I have been reading all of israfel's posts on pirahnas and such (great work and glad to hear you got a raise!) and have fallen in love with these "little fish with teeth." I love the models and love how they perform in battle. I'm planning on adding three too my 2000 point mech list and sacrificing some stuff (gun drones, kroot, and some unnecassary upgrades) to squeeze them in. But, as I was about to purchase them online, I began to doubt myself. Buying three of these little buggers is about 65-75 bucks WITHOUT shipping. OUCH! I wrote a few lists today to see if I could make it to 2000 with what I have and could (you can find my 2000 mech list in the tau army list section) and couldn't decide if I should keep what I have or go for the pirahnas.

Tell me what you guys think.

B.T.W: I'm hoping for a response from Israfel!

Cheers!

Blender

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Pirahnas or No Pirahnas?

Actually I do love this fish. However, what I don't like was they were used as someone posted. I take this fishes in games over 1.5k pionts. I have 1 squad of 3 and planning (once I saved up enough) to get other.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would definatley go with the PFish. Personally I just Love them ;D Like the Ak-47, but they are great if you can work them into your strategy. You got a mech army? Definatley! Ever heard of the "Feeding Frenzy"?
Old 06 Aug 2006, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nice in really high point games as an armored replacement for simpler drone squads. They make good harassment/cover and you still get some drones. The frenzy's great against land-raiders and the such... even if they don't manage to blow it themselves, as long as they're in position when the railgun hits the effect's still there.

In lower-point games though I find it exceedingly hard to put them in there. One or two alone just doesn't cut it; they're relatively fragile after all; like a landspeeder but without the multi-melta or missile launchers or heavy bolters... (in other words, without the ranged punch) Already have a pair of devilfish and a railhead (sometimes two) which means I've easily got about 400 points just on the skimmers.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nova, you bring up some excellent points. It is difficult to fit the 4 piranhas neccessary for effective use in a 1500 point game. Thats why I don't run any mechanized troops and am forced to take small teams with markerlights instead.

After all I'm not willing to sacrifice crisis suits, and my heavy support and HQ are pretty well decided. So, I have to take em from troops. The choice is simple, more high powered AP1 fusion guns, or more massed pusle rifle fire? Some of the deciding factors are the ability of the piranha to carry drones far up the field and the risk involved with placing 12 FW in one place(ie transport). There are other reasons like the frenzy, but those aren't really primary concerns of the piranha, more opportunity based. Maybe I could make a list that removed enoug crisis suits, combined 2 tems of troops and mechanized a 12 man unit of FW. Then it would have best of both worlds flavor!!!
Old 06 Aug 2006, 04:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

I am definately going to buy 3 pirahnas and will squeeze 'em into my list. Can't wait to play with them!

Cheers!

Blender

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Closed Thread