Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'm playing against Orks on Monday
Closed Thread
Old 16 Dec 2004, 05:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Zedd
Default I'm playing against Orks on Monday

I'd like some adivce. I can't change my army list since I'm using all available models, but if anyone could give me some basic tactics (I've already read the anti-footslogger guide) then that would be great.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 05:37   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: I'm playing against Orks on Monday

I don't know what all you have, or what your Ork opponent has, but when I play against Orks, I use stealth teams. I steak them right up next to a big mob, fire a submunition and have a squad of Fire Warriors soften them up (or punch holes in, whatever) then my stealths pop over a wall or out of a building and mop the green thugs up. Usually works pretty well for me. If you don't have stealth suits, why not, and, get some. Now.

Fine indeed.

http:/nyquildreams.com
Old 16 Dec 2004, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Horde armies need many fire warriors....many...scrap crisis suits only take one to be your commander. Being mobile against the orks also helps as you want to stay out of combat with these guys..mounted fire warrior teams are the way to go. With hammerheads (take 2 at least, 3 if points let you) take out transports if they have any and make use of the railgun submunition balsts. Theone battlesuit that will repay its cost here are stelath suits...they will be able to put big dents in horde squads with their volume of fire and stay out of combat with jetpacks and hopefully against being shot with their stelathsuits
Old 16 Dec 2004, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Vs orks i would be enclined to take 2 crisis w/ MPTL+MT and a shasél w/ same kit and use them to tankbust until all are gone then turn them on the orks but the key is to coordinate fire and trim off the mobs closest to you w/ coordinated fire.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

And never forget to piss your enemy off. Whenever possible, have your jumping squads hide after cutting holes in his mobs. 9 times out of ten with my Orky opponent, he gets so made he starts moving around obstacles to get to the suits! Wasting a turn and only getting minimal shots off. I tell him every time we play that he shouldn't do it, but sometimes he has little choice. I like killing orks...

Fine indeed.

http:/nyquildreams.com
Old 16 Dec 2004, 22:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

If you can take burst cannons. Submunitions also help. Basically you dont even need to be mobile against the orkies. Just form a ring of warriors and kroot if ya have em with your big guns at the center and let the enemy come to you with your suits doing hit and runs out and away from the ring includeing your HQ. Etherials may help but I dont know what you have. Basically you want to use suits to split the ork army and draw off segments so even when he reaches you its one unit at a time and hopefully you can draw off parts of his army and destroy them. Burst cannons are really good for fighting races like orks so as many as you have or have access to... use them.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Units helpful agains orks;
fire warriors
stealth suits
hammerheads
drones
kroot

Fire warriors, stealth, and kroot are great; lots of high strength, ork armour piercing fire can do a lot of damage. kroot especially because they're so cheap, have loads of st4 attacks in and out of hth... they just basically come into their own against normal orks. (not the big ones...) hammerheads are very difficult for orks to destroy unless they get very close or behind. submunition blows great holes in mobs, and solid railgun does a lot of damage to orky vehicles. drones=pinning=obvious strategic importance. Be sure to check out the tau tactics section of this forum, it has tactics that i'm not going to repeat here and that EVERY tau player should know; they're just good things to know.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Oh yes speaking of drones I would suggest not DSing them or Sending them forth. I would recomend keeping them near your FCWs to pin oncoming orks and delay any cc. Also if you pin orks the FCWs and your big guns can usually destroy them but hopefully they wont get that close.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

that strategy could work... drones move forward, fire, move back again. effective range; 24 in, and they can pop behind cover again. AND, when the orks get close, drones can move away faster than the orks can run. Yeah, drones=great option and a must have
Old 17 Dec 2004, 05:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

best force against orks is 2HH the HQ squad and crisis i mentioned earlier lots of stealth and lots of FW in fish. yes you do need to be mobile Tau always need to be mobile, also the devilfish can be used as moving blocks of terrain to impede moves or block charges > evil but sometimes neccecary ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread