Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Tactical Advantage: Priority Target Selection and Acquisition
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau Tactical Advantage: Priority Target Selection and Acquisition

Tau weaponry, while in many cases lack long range(Burst Cannon, Plasma, Carbine, Kroot rifle, and to some degree the pulse rifle). They are the most mowerful medium range weapon set in the game. This has been discussed in other posts.

The power of the tau long range/heavy weaponry has been discussed....at length. :

Q:How does a tau commander deal with a stand off shooty force, full of long range MeQ????
A:By picking which elements of the enemy force need to be removed first.

Priority Target Selection and Aquisition

The term "Prioity Target Selection and Aquisition"(PTSA) is simply a term which refers to the ability to put the right weapons in the right place at the right time.

Comparing weapons statistically is meaningless unless you can apply those weapons when and where they are required. After all, a weapon platforms ability to destroy its equal in points is not as important as what the removal of said unit means to the survival of your army.

What units give the tau an advantage in PTSA?

Piranhas are masters of PTSA. 2 teams of 2 Piranhas may not earn back their 300 point price tag in total enemies killed, but they'll have a good chance of destroying that piece of indirect fire armor which is hiding behind that terrain and would decimate your troops all game or whatever other piece of devastaing armor your opponent fields. So you don't lose points from dead units exposed to such a unit, which is at least as important as getting points.

Piranhas represent the ability to utterly remove almost any piece of armor in the game gaurenteed(monoliths suck). Chances are they will kill live long enough to kille the second piece of armor you want destroyed too. With a 12" move and a 6" 2d6 melta attack. They have the ability to severelly threaten any piece of armor within 18". This is almost guarenteed threat removal.

They can hurt/kill many heroes and special characters.

Expensive termies and chaplains/libraians come to mind as well as powerful demon princes are likewise prime targets for these little fish with teeth.

The downside is they can sometimes be sort of a one shot wepon as they are somewhat fragile.

But with a higher than average front armor for vehicles of theire point cost added with the skimmer and fast ability, they are resilient enough in small groups to take out nearly any high priority target. They do have as powerful a weapon as any in their class along with the ability to take seekers. Seekers can give other units PTSA with a mere markerlight hit.

PTSA can also be found in many of the other matchups tau units posess. The crisis suits can take up to three weapon choices thus allowing more variation in the types of weapons they take and therefore the types of units they can threaten. Their above average speed and mobility allows them to not only avoid danger, but choose which units to matchup against and when to initiate combat.

The vespid who can fleet and are jump infantry, can aquire their target and get first shot without exposing themselves to danger before the first exchange.

Stealth fields on sniper drones and XV25 allow them to draw first blood at long ranges. Forcing the enemy to close distance before they can fire back effectively.

PTSA can be found in other armies two. Fast assaulters and or good ordinance are two examples.

The IG uses indirect fire to great effect and therefore their armor has a high affinity with PTSA. However, while they may be able to fire indirectly, they tend to be less accurate due to the scatter effect. They are significantly less effective against vehicles than a properly postioned fusion blaster. I'll take 2 markerlight guided Piranhas with TA any day.

Other armies fast assaulters rarely have much hard hitting assault. Usually they have short range bolt pisotls and the like. But because of their high mobility, they can get into HtH and use power fists and the like. Crisis suits, while not quite as fast overall, get a much better weapon loadout at medium ranges. So they usually get PTSA over a larger range of the potential targets they will have to deal with.

Prioity Target Selection and Aquisition is something every tau commander should take into consideration when building a list. The ability to remove the most dangerous elements of an opposing forces army early thereby gaining some "breathing room" is critical for the taus crisis suits to succeed in the midgame. Otherwise there is too much for the suits to dodge and they'll die before they can damage enough of their heavy infantry counterparts.

All right, thats it, what do ya think. :funny:

Old 06 Aug 2006, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau Tactical Advantage: Prioity Target Selection and Aquisition

Nice guide. I think you deserve a karma cookie. Well done.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 06 Aug 2006, 01:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Unfortuantely, this is no different from your other so-called tactica thread. Again, this is your preference of parinhas and units you prefer. Also, again your opponent would NOT leave his Landraider within 18" of your fusion fish. Again, as I stated before: almost NO MEQ player would try to shoot your snipers. They will send assault units ASAP. This is almost a carbon copy of what you attempted to explain in your other thread. Unfortunately, again, I will state this would not work CONSISTANTLY. It may work against the first-timer (As many people, including me explained in your other thread), but after that there is no garuntee that this would work. Heck, anyone that have read the SMurf and Tau codex would know to stay away from your fusion fishes. And they WILL send either some speeders or lascannons at your fishes.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well reading that I actually expected a treatise on selecting and taking out targets (a what needs to die first and how)...

Um... I'm not so sure about some of these tactics. First you have to get'em there, and if they have fusion, the other guy's going to be gunning for them right from the start. If not, well, he's never seen'em yet is why. And termies? plasma exists for a reason. Heavy bolters can slaughter a fish from the front... and at that range, you're risking having the left engine ripped off by a power-fist. That's minimum 65 points against a... what... 30 point model? with a chance of shooting one of his team dead first? About as good a deal as trying my gundrones on'em.

That basilisk is going to be protected. Really, it will. My friend learned her lesson the first time the thing went sky-high on turn 2 from a four-pack of drones dropping behind it. The losses involved in trying to get a fish through those firing lanes just to pop that? I might as well just hand'er the win. I need 6 drones now, and its usually a sacrificial unit unless they get lucky with scatter and terrain. And that monolith? its immune to the melta-effect if I recall... so its still just "glance on a 6 while those 20 warriors do the same to your fish"... A railgun's the best choice against it once again...

You want destruction of priority targets? That's what broadsides are for. No "spend 2-3 turns being shot at and getting there", no single-shot S8 peashooters. Just one big twinlinked BOOM guaranteed to penetrate that artillery piece or rhino on a hit. Some targets might be best taken out with a railhead (tight packs of gaunts) or ionhead (big bug). No less likely to have line of sight than that fish is, but if they don't at least they're likely not dead as the reason for it.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, I'm not going to argue or call you "so-called" names but I think there is more in this thread than simply Piranha glorification. This is more about an overall attribute which all units posess to a varying degree. That is simply a units ability to get first shot at whatever targets it chooses. The tau units have this ability in excess. from the suits to the vespid to the Piranha to devilfish mounted FW, the tau can outmaneuver the enemy and dictate the flow of battle. Other armies have units with a high degree of this abilityas well, but not as broad a range of units have the same level of ability as the tau.

Other armies strentghs lie in superior numbers, better armor, beter hand to hand.

The orks for instance can't really dictate a specific unit will attack another specific unit, but they can gaurentee that some of their units will make it across the field due to their superior numbers. Horde tactics.

Nids can be run similar to orks. Horde tactics.

Most MeQ armies work best when employed in American Civil War or WWI style tactics. Form firing lines and march across the field, sometimes behind armor. Except instead of relying on inferior weapons and numbers to protect them as in the the American Civil War, the marines rely on their ubiquitous 3+ save. More powerful marine units are even more reliant on their armor as in the case of our bike riding chaplain friend.

So, I guess what I am saying is that I prefer the modern style of hit and fade and precisely coordinated attacks and mobility and shot denial tactics that the Tau represent as opposed to medieval horde tactics or civil war era firing lines.

But unfortunately, my "so called tactica" is of no use to you Stargazer, so don't bother to read my threads if your just gonna bash em with the same repetative phrases about how "no one would fall for it twice", and "It may work against first timers". Also, just because you and others "explain it" to me in another thread doesn't make it correct because you said so.

After all, people used to try and "explain" to ancient astronomers how the world was flat. ^-^

BTW I didn't say they would shoot at my snipers, I said they would be forced to move up in order to fire effectively at them.

Nova-
What targets need removal first is up to the individual commander. It is dictated bywhat units you happen to be playing with, so it is pointless to try to name them. My point is you have the speed and flexiblity and/or or the range and stopping power in the tau
army to get to whatever those targets are before he can get to yours.

Power fist has to hit on a 6 regardless of range, so I don't wrooy to much about em. Beside termie and other 2+ models are a Piranhas target after it can no longer use the 2d6 melta effect.

A basilisk being protected is why broadsied don't work sometimes. You need something with theeth to flush them out into the open at least. Loading up on Piranha ensures your ability to do just that. Everything else they do is not xconsidered a primary function. Dropping drones, Objective grabbing, fire magnat, 2+ killing is all just bonus goodness. I actually mentioned monoliths as one of the few vehicles piranha aren't a danger too.

Drones are not as reliable, even 8 of em don't have the punch to gaurentee effective destruction of even a 10 armor. After all if there are 8, only a fraction over 4 will even hit, so well say 4 on average. Then they have a 1 out of 6 chance to penetrtate. Not good odds. They might get something to do damage. Consider two Piranha with FB running TA on average 1.3333 will hit, so we'll say one. One will auto glance within 6" against Amor 10 and unless the dice gods hate you, it will penetrate. This is much more reliable, and I'd rather spend 50 more points and remove that basilisk before it kills a whole unit of Fire Warriors or god knows what else.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I believe the Fusion Blaster is an Ap1 weapon? If so, it will auto-penetrate AV 10, as all AP1 weapons roll damage on the Penetration table whether their damage equals or exceeds the AV of the vehicle.

At least, I think that's how the rule works.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
Well, I'm not going to argue or call you "so-called" names but I think there is more in this thread than simply Piranha glorification. This is more about an overall attribute which all units posess to a varying degree. That is simply a units ability to get first shot at whatever targets it chooses.
Unless you play on a board less than 4' (assuming that both your fish and your target is at the edge of the 12" deployment zoe) , I don't see how you can get first strike.

Quote:
The orks for instance can't really dictate a specific unit will attack another specific unit, but they can gaurentee that some of their units will make it across the field due to their superior numbers. Horde tactics.

Nids can be run similar to orks. Horde tactics.
Hordes are 1 of the strongest type of armies around. They will easily control the battle. Mass numbers will affect you will play and a smart player will use that to their advanatage.

Quote:
Most MeQ armies work best when employed in American Civil War or WWI style tactics. Form firing lines and march across the field, sometimes behind armor. Except instead of relying on inferior weapons and numbers to protect them as in the the American Civil War, the marines rely on their ubiquitous 3+ save. More powerful marine units are even more reliant on their armor as in the case of our bike riding chaplain friend.

So, I guess what I am saying is that I prefer the modern style of hit and fade and precisely coordinated attacks and mobility and shot denial tactics that the Tau represent as opposed to medieval horde tactics or civil war era firing lines.
Unfortunately unless you are saying that fusion blaters/plasma rifles/missle pods/bust cannon/ or any other mobile weapon has a better range than a lascannon/missle launcher/plasma cannon or any type of stand-and-shoot weapon most Marines possess, I fail to see why you claim that paranhas/crisis/stealths can deal damage when they are in range of an enemy gun while their guns are not in range.

Quote:
But unfortunately, my "so called tactica" is of no use to you Stargazer, so don't bother to read my threads if your just gonna bash em with the same repetative phrases about how "no one would fall for it twice", and "It may work against first timers". Also, just because you and others "explain it" to me in another thread doesn't make it correct because you said so.
You are entitled to think that I am bashing. However, in my eyes I am only giving honest critisim. As what you said yourself in the other thread "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the SPecials Olymics. Even if you win, you are still retarded".

Quote:
After all, people used to try and "explain" to ancient astronomers how the world was flat.
Actually EVERYONE believed them. Even the Church did. It wasn't until some scienetist discovered the world was round when a few people believed him. And most people that he was raving lunitic.

Quote:
BTW I didn't say they would shoot at my snipers, I said they would be forced to move up in order to fire effectively at them.
That was a contradictory statement, which didn't make a lot of sense. One line said that they wouldn't shoot them, the next said they did. Make up your mind.

Old 06 Aug 2006, 02:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Great post. FwT are definatley worth consideration.

Will only Work against first timers?
People with artillery have to place them somewhere, and Piranahs have a handy way of gettting over there, blasting them to pieces, and (hopefully! :-\ ) getting back out. Admittedly they could use a lot of forces to defend (I suppose), but so what? You advance your forces and blow their brains out.

Note the Basilisk has a minimum range of 36 inches...

I love piranahs! I can't spell their name!
Old 06 Aug 2006, 03:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Kinda hard to hit&run when they outrange you... a smart player would punish such tactics if he's got such an advantage by forcing you into the open.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

A bit flawed there but Ill give you a karma cookie for the effort. Still as a tactica/article goes it needs work. I wont repeat what others have already said though as that would be pointless.

Closed Thread