Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau
Closed Thread
Old 05 Aug 2006, 05:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Starting Tau

As the subject says, I'm starting Tau. I've been looking at them since their new codex came out, and they seem like a nice new approach as opposed to the bloody melee's my Marines have been engaging in on a regular basis.

The way I'd use the Tau is have a large block of Fire Warriors to provide a solid firebase, with mobile elements such as suits and skimmers to harry my opponent.

So, is there any advice that you'd like to give a fledgling commander?

I'll be posting my 750 point starter list in the army list section soon.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 05 Aug 2006, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting Tau

Between what I've heard on the boards and some (recent) personal experience: Fire Warriors make bad fire bases. Real fire bases simply outrange them, and outshoot them too, while most assault elements can outmanoeuvre the firing lanes and then close for the kill. Sniper Drones make a better fire base because they make incoming fire more difficult, and Broadsides add good range and power (though they too still get outshot). Add in some Kroot for cheap wounds, massed middle-range fire, and possible counter charge (Hounds help with this, since they add attacks and can soak wounds for the Kroot without losing efficiency on the charge) to keep assault units from annihilating the fire base.

Quick advice about Suits: be aggressive, but not too aggressive. If they're not shooting something, you're losing a lot of firepower, but if you push too hard, you'll probably get smashed.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 05 Aug 2006, 07:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've gotta say, not using a solid block of troops would leave me utterly frustrated. Sniper teams may have a stealth field, but a full Fire Warrior team will have three times their wounds, and are scoring units. Every successful style of play I've come across relies on a solid block of troops in some form or another to capture objectives and kill their opponents. Whereas sniper teams provide the killing things, they are quite lacking when it comes to scoring units. I'll likely include sniper teams, but they'd be accompanied by Fire Warriors.
On that note, which do you think would be a better buy at 750 points: 2 sniper teams or a Railhead?

In all honesty, I really just dislike Kroot. I can see why I should take them, but I'm not going to. I don't like them fluff-wise, aesthetically, and their rules are the most often misinterpreted as I've seen. They lack any sort of durability (other than numbers) outside of woods and don't mesh well with any sort of strategy I would use.

Thanks for the tip on the suits. I'm going to have to practice the JSJ so that I can avoid enemy fire.

Old 05 Aug 2006, 07:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Dont wory Im not a fan of kroot either and rarely use them... ok if I can avoid it I never use them.

A solid block/core of Firewarriors is an excelent way to go. Firewarriors are relatively cheap, have decent armor and wonderful weaponry. They also do make a solid firebase. You simply have to use them right. Keep all units for instance spaced more than 6" apart to make sure enemies cant sweep from one unit to another. Make sure that every unit in the firebase, or even period is covered by at least one and preferably two units. Also cover really helps.

What I learned the hard way early on is that once you start getting past 500 and towards 1kpts big guns that can deal with armor at range and up close are really almost necessary. I almost rarely encounter a battle at such levels where I dont need a heavy gun. Thus I would suggest a Hammerhead, or a broadside or two. Some Railguns/Ioncannon power can really come in handy.

Anyway welcome to the Tau and the greater good. You should find the army a refreshing change from the fluff and styles of other armies. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask or even send a PM. This forum is here to help.

Old 05 Aug 2006, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Since I'll need a big gun, so to speak, I'll stick with a Railhead like I had wanted originally. I'll head over to the lists section and post my 750.

Old 05 Aug 2006, 08:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Y Montyr
I've gotta say, not using a solid block of troops would leave me utterly frustrated. Sniper teams may have a stealth field, but a full Fire Warrior team will have three times their wounds, and are scoring units. Every successful style of play I've come across relies on a solid block of troops in some form or another to capture objectives and kill their opponents. Whereas sniper teams provide the killing things, they are quite lacking when it comes to scoring units. I'll likely include sniper teams, but they'd be accompanied by Fire Warriors.
On that note, which do you think would be a better buy at 750 points: 2 sniper teams or a Railhead?
Elites and Fast Attack can be scoring units, your fire base is there mostly to kill things and provide cover. I'm not saying "don't use Fire Warriors", I'm saying they make bad fire bases. Mounted in a Devilfish, the Pulse Rifle wielding Fire Warrior can provide support for the fire base, or vice versa, depending on the situation and your playstyle. I'd also consider a Carbine wielding squad simply for the increased fire power on the move (and it's a cheap scoring unit). But simply put: any competent opponent will stand outside 30" and pepper you to death, or hide behind area terrain until some fast moving unit can assault you. 30" is a great standard issue gun, but when was the last time you saw a successful style of play involving a fire base that ran all standard issue guns (as in all Bolters for Space Marines or all Lasguns for Imperial Guard)? Personally, I've never seen such a style of play used, successful or not. I see no reason why the restrictive Tau Troop options should force us into such a poor style of play.

I'd go with the Snipers because they cost less and go with a fire base. Railheads are fire magnets, and expensive ones at that. They're great, but they're too easily disabled for their points. Unless you run three, with a mech list, in which case your opponent will cry because of all the vehicles you'll field. But under that, they'll drop quickly (unless you hide them, but then they're not shooting and your opponent still wins).

Quote:
In all honesty, I really just dislike Kroot. I can see why I should take them, but I'm not going to. I don't like them fluff-wise, aesthetically, and their rules are the most often misinterpreted as I've seen. They lack any sort of durability (other than numbers) outside of woods and don't mesh well with any sort of strategy I would use.
That's fine. I was merely suggesting them to deal with any assault squads that sneak up to your firebase (and it will happen). They're not to everyone's taste (and it's taken me a while to warm to them at all).

P.S. In regards to using Fire Warriors in a fire base, I'll admit they can be strong as an element of a fire base, but not as the core, and definitely not alone. They need other static squads of non Fire Warriors to provide the necessary range to deal with enemy static threats (usually your more mobile elements won't be able to close with such elements without suffering crippling casualties, and since your basic Fire Warrior is unable to provide the necessary support...). Sniper Drones and Fire Warriors make a great combo, since the Sniper Drones provide the range necessary to back up the Fire Warriors, and the Firewarriors provide good middle range support to cover the Sniper Drone's fragility.

P.P.S. I'd go with 1 Broadside and 1 Sniper Done Team in the case of needing a big gun. The Broadside's big gun is more accurate and dedicated, plus both fit in nicely with a fire base.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 05 Aug 2006, 09:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You raise a very good point about the sniper team and 88 instead of a railhead. However, they are intrinsically less mobile, if more durable. I'll have to think about it. In the end (i.e. when I go into higher points) I'll likely have both.

Old 05 Aug 2006, 18:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
have decent armor
To a Dark Eldar player, a firewarrior's armour is like a terminator's. :P
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 05 Aug 2006, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

LOLZ. 8). Base of fire with one team of tau flank with another team of tau

Remember: if it moves shoot it if in screams in imperial shoot it again :rockon:

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Old 05 Aug 2006, 19:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Welcome to the greater good! I like FW but I use em in different ways than most people around here, I like to put them in minimal squad size and give em markerlights. Then I set em in small bases behind sniper drone teams. This provides much tactical flexibility. Read the threads I've started for more info on my way of playing.
Closed Thread