Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So, how did that assault on Sybillus Primus go?
Closed Thread
Old 02 Aug 2006, 13:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default So, how did that assault on Sybillus Primus go?

I'm curious, did the attack on Sybillus Primus go well? Because here recently, the Tau are in the bottom rankings.

I fought all my (combat patrol) missions this past weekend at Geryon Base, defending Airfield six against mostly Tyranids. I'm curious how things went for everyone else?

Oh, and this is in reference to the Medusa V campaign for those of you who aren't following it.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 18:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: So, how did that assault on Sybillus Primus go?

Apparently it went GREAT! ;D

... and we got punished for it. :

Helldiver's finest Hour apparently went WAY for the Tau - as did our assault.

However - as good a move as it was for our scoreboard the few days - GW decided it meant we "took our eyes off the ball" and *hammered* us with the rest of the pro-Imperial fluff that said we were getting pummeled everywhere else...

So - apparently we lost ground overall...

We're digging in defensively for a bit to try to recover before our next stunt.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 19:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

At my local GW we had the "Helldiver's finest Hour" event on that saturday when it was listed.

It turned out pretty much to be a "Xenos v. Imperium" Match- for of all reasons that I was the only Tau Player to Bring His Army to the game- there were two other Tau players who had to use the store's models. Pathetic, given then backstory of the battle There was also one other guard player who supplied nearly half the Imperium with it's total Iguard allotment.

During Battle one, the Most Annoying Player of the area brought his Titan to the table. Of course, since he holds a reputation everyone was watching out for that 8inch move he tried to pull off (And yes he did it as soon as the imperials had their turn), and we managed to take out the Titan from concentrated hits. Because of his arguementative attitude and willful ignorance of the rules, he was ejected from play.

For the Xenos, we had just about a representative from every race save the Dark Eldar. We had Nids running further down afield, Chaos out to play, mine and the Store's Tau (I even emptied my case..), and two Necron players- one of which was running oldschool collector's necrons complete with old destroyer lord.

Battle one, we killed the Titan and pretty much drove the Imperium back to their side of the table. We killed more units than took losses, and things were looking up. The Necrons were monolith dropping into enemy lines and generally doing what Necrons do on a fun day. My railguns were concentrated on smashing that stupid Titan (which even it's stuttering player could not defend). and generally causing problems for the enemy. Though I deep struck my crisis suits all over the place, we had a Tyrranid Bio-Titan deep strike INTO CLOSE COMBAT with the Titan and killed it. That same Biotitan was dropped and broken later in the day

Battle two we had an 18in deployment zone with pretty much the same objective- kill as many units as possible. Once again my side of the table was overly sucessful thanks to skillful management of the Necron armies. Scarabs are dangerous in swarms and this was proof why. Once again we pushed the Imperial players nearly off the board.

Third battle was very short on time and we only completed maybe one full turn before we called time (due to deliberations and what not). Setup was the Imperial players deployed in the centermost buildings while Imp reinforcements deployed on the shorter edges of the massive table. We had three brit players (dad and some kids) show up with their entire army being the reinforcements. This meant Landraiders and Lots of tanks...

Turn one I destroyed a Land Raider and Predator with a Broadside and hammerhead- for this I was awarded the Ribbon intrinsic (in heindsight, I probably was awarded this because I complained about never getting awards... what, I was the only Tau player to bring his army for a Tau v. Iguard battle! Anyway...) After popping the tanks the necrons moved their scarabs in to form, yes, a speedbump. That Speedbump blew up two more tanks and seriously delayed Imperial reinforcements comming in from that side. The Imperials got their move/shoot, and the game more or less ended on Imperial shooting.

As a result of this battle, the Imperial players (Space marines mostly), got counted for ten games they all lost. Nevertheless, for the Tau, according to the sheet we've won something like Three games, since there were only three Tau players.

So even though we won the battle overwhelmingly, it seems in my mind most of the victory is owed to just about Every One Else, because of all things there were no Tau Players out there that day to participate- other than myself
Old 02 Aug 2006, 21:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The assault we played at Chicago Games Day was fantastic...there were all these guys there dressed up as guardsmen and commissars, as well as a guy with a chest protector and home-made pulse rifle and fire warrior shoulder pad.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

In the Atlanta Games Day all the guys their were wereing IG uniforms and some of them had some bolters and chain swords.

Old 04 Aug 2006, 03:02   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keichi246
However - as good a move as it was for our scoreboard the few days - GW decided it meant we "took our eyes off the ball" and *hammered* us with the rest of the pro-Imperial fluff that said we were getting pummeled everywhere else...
Well, um, yeah. From what I gather from my meager access to info about the WH40K universe, the Tau REALLY NEED warp drive. Killing a few Imperials might be great fun if you're Farsight, or if you're a Chaos-corrupted Tau somehow, but unless it's actually distracting the Imperials from our research stations, it's kinda pointless, violent, and not terribly serving of the Greater Good.

After all, resources lost in attacking Sybillus Primus couldn't be used to defend Raffaelo's Spine, right? Which is where the REAL gold is coming from, neh?

I thought it was kinda a weird plan, myself. Stuck to defending Airfield Six, which we clearly need for evacuation towards the end of the campaign.
Old 04 Aug 2006, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

If all we do is defend the entire campaign our impact will be... minimal. We dont necessarily want a repeat of the Eye of Terror. Sure we got a little from it but we were so far from the actual fighting...

I do however notice that a number of other races were knocked down a few pegs. Marines are in the yellow for week 4 as are Eldar, both who were previously green all along. We werent the only ones to take a beating last week.

Old 04 Aug 2006, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

what really frustrates me is not knowing how "fair" this entire campaign is.

I mean, look at it: the two forces of the Imperium are in slots 1 (iguard) and 3 (Space Marines) respectively- possibly due to the fact that every noob and his 4 year old brother play SM, but perhaps also likely because they will and always will be GW favorites, and HAVE to win EVERY Campaign, because...uhmuhmuhm because THEY ARE FAVORITES!

One reason I don't play 40K as much as I used to is because SM will always win, SM must win, and if they can't win by the background fluff then there's some space marine magic on the battlefield that prevents them from loosing. I mean, where's the Tau Titan eh? Where's our special rules that can improve all the saves, and why is the Aun'va more of a ragdoll target than something that conveys +2 saves (or at least +3!) by anyone in his presence?

At least the Eldar are doing well, as my no.2 favorite race, and at least the Dark Eldar aren't on the Bottom of the totem pole- since they're an example of popular opinion behind unpopular races.

(I appologize for the rant and thread derailing, if it gets me in trouble any...)
Old 04 Aug 2006, 05:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

No, I agree with you. At least soon enough, I'm going to have a 16000pt game with 2 Tau players (8-10 total) We should be able to do just fine then.
Old 04 Aug 2006, 06:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound
what really frustrates me is not knowing how "fair" this entire campaign is.

I mean, look at it: the two forces of the Imperium are in slots 1 (iguard) and 3 (Space Marines) respectively- possibly due to the fact that every noob and his 4 year old brother play SM
Come on! It seems like everytime anyone imperial does well, wild acusations start flying everywhere. If you remember The eye of terror, us Imperials got pretty beat up by those CSM's. I never met anyone complaining about that.
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
Closed Thread