Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV-25 equipment
Closed Thread
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default XV-25 equipment

this goes along with my poll about my commander.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29524.0

my question is, what do you guys think i should fill the hard point on my stealth's with?

i'm leaning towards shield generators, but does anyone have any better ideas?

i'm looking for survivability here, specifically vs terminators.

all advice welcomed and thanx in advance.

Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: XV-25 equipment

Shield generators used in bulk are shockingly expencive. I would suggest something with more utility. Perhaps a few gun drones to take the wounds or targeting arrays. Either way you dont want to soar the cost too much or your giving out easy vps.

Old 02 Aug 2006, 13:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Gun drones.

Allow me to repeat that.

GUN DRONES!

Even if you only give them 1 drone each you have now added a bunch of shots to the unit, these shots cause pinning, are more accurate than BS: 3 and doubled the number of wounds in the unit!

If your stealths are getting charged by terminators it sounds like you're not using them right (no offense).

It took me a while to figure out how best to use stealth suits but now that I've mostly got the hang of it everyone I play HATES them. Especially In CoD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 14:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah, i get alot of flak for the stealths too. people look at them and say.. 3+ save.. jet pak, and assault 3 weapons each!?... and then they whine.

Love em.

tho alot of the times i've already got a TONN of pulse weapons and the elite slots invariably go to the plasma/fusion wielding xv8s

sad

tho in my opinion.. stealths are best deployed with no frills.. they're already well equipped to do what they need to do... no need for any more.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 14:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually in CoD it's worth it take a unit of 4 with team leader and bonding knife. The unit can always rally and it only becomes non-scoring when you kill all 4. Combine this with the Infiltrate stratagem (not to be overlooked!) and watch infantry evaporate!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02 Aug 2006, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Putting a TA on a unit of four stealths is about 160pts. and it deals out alot of pain to any unit.

Old 02 Aug 2006, 16:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis 5-41 (KHRAY-ZEAZ for Rev)
Putting a TA on a unit of four stealths is about 160pts. and it deals out alot of pain to any unit.
But for those same points you could have added 4 gun drones, giving you MORE SHOTS with better accuracy.

4 Stealths w/ targeting arrays = 8 hits.

4 stealths = 6 hits
4 gun drones = 2.22 hits that cause pinning.

So you get more hits and more wounds with the gun drones and pinning potential!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02 Aug 2006, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have sometimes seen players ignore the Stealth suits for a couple of rounds because they are hard to hit. But with lets say 4 suits and 4 drones you suddenly have a lot of firepower in one stealth unit. It will be very annoying for your oponent. If you can spare the points I would say 4 suits, 3 gundrones and 1 markerdrone.. thats 180 points..
Old 02 Aug 2006, 18:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
... take a unit of 4 with team leader and bonding knife. The unit can always rally and it only becomes non-scoring when you kill all 4...
Is there something in CoD that lets a unit always be considered a scoring unit? (my copy is ordered but has not arived yet)

I am asking because it was my understanding that a Bonding Knife only permits a unit make rally attempts regardless of the losses to the unit (i.e., if they are bellow 25%). I will have to check again when I get home, but I don't recall anything about the unit always being considered a scoring unit.

Also with a 4-suit Stealth Team, a Bonding Knife should not affect the "Last Man Standing" rules. So as I see it, the Bonding Knife will mean that the last Stealth Suit will always have a chance to rally if he breaks, but they will still have to make Last Man Standing tests every turn as well.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 02 Aug 2006, 18:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
... take a unit of 4 with team leader and bonding knife. The unit can always rally and it only becomes non-scoring when you kill all 4...
Is there something in CoD that lets a unit always be considered a scoring unit? (my copy is ordered but has not arived yet)

I am asking because it was my understanding that a Bonding Knife only permits a unit make rally attempts regardless of the losses to the unit (i.e., if they are bellow 25%). I will have to check again when I get home, but I don't recall anything about the unit always being considered a scoring unit.

Also with a 4-suit Stealth Team, a Bonding Knife should not affect the "Last Man Standing" rules. So as I see it, the Bonding Knife will mean that the last Stealth Suit will always have a chance to rally if he breaks, but they will still have to make Last Man Standing tests every turn as well.

Later,
Fireblade
In CoD units only become non-scoring when reduced below 25% of their starting strength.
The bonding knife doesn't affect last man standing, but it does indeed give a chance to rally should he FAIL last man standing.
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread