Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

It was just for fun, but it turned out to be very powerful.
Closed Thread
Old 02 Aug 2006, 05:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default It was just for fun, but it turned out to be very powerful.

Last night I played a game "just for fun" and I used a tactic I was sure I was going to lose with. But instead I not only won, but I won by such a huge margin it makes me think there may be more to it than luck. First the list, then the tactics.
Here's the list.

HQ

Commander Shadowsun - 175 pts
Aun'va the space pope - 205 pts

Troops

11 man FW squad all with Pulse carbines - 110 pts
12 man FW squad all with pulse rifles - 120 pts
12 man FW squad all with Pulse rifles - 120 pts

Elites

3 crisis suits, 3 TL Flamers, 6 gun drones, shasvre w/ CIB and MT -183 pts
3 crisis suits, 3 TL Flamers, 6 gun drones, shasvre w/ AFP and MT -188 pts
3 Fireknife suits -186 pts

Fast Attack

2 Piranha's with Fusion, Decoy Launchers, targetting arrays -150 pts
4 Piranha's with Fusion, Decoy Launchers, targetting arrays -300 pts

Heavy support

Ionhead with decoy launcher, multi tracker, burst cannons - 130 pts
2 sniper teams - 160 pts
BASS, tl plasma, Shasvre, 2 shield drones, Multi tracker, -145 pts

Total = 2502 (They let me fudge 2 points)

It was a 2500 point game and I was playing against 2 guys. One was running 1000 points of chaos marines using mainly fast assaulters and heavy support. the other was running orks with a lots and lots of of 'ard boys in transports.

It was amazing!!!! I wiped the floor with them.

The piranha's/BASS combined with the snipers drones took out most of his armor by turn 2. The Piranhas dropped drones way out front while the IONhead unleashed hell at the chaos heavy wepon team.

The pope followed behind the armor followed by the rest of the troops who of course shot when they got into range. My friends gave me a confusedlook. ???

When the pope got in CC I realized he would not die right away because of his high toughness, this was bad, because I wanted him to die. The assault marines they were fighting all struck and only killed one guard. The pope and the other guard struck back and killed 1 marine. Then his chaos lord went. He had a powerfist, so when he managed to get a wound through at strength 8 I took it on Aun'va and it insta killed him(his toughness is not so high for insta kill purposes). "Why would you do that???" they asked. "Now you have to take leadership tests on all your units or they will flee" they said looking smug. I played it cool. 8)

I then took leadership for my entire army and out of the 13 units which had to test only 3 broke due to shadowsuns AWESOME leadership boost. None of the units which failed were suits so no one ran off table edge. Those 3 units that failed all rallied next turn. Now all my non vehicle units would hit on a 3+ and gained furious charge in hand to hand. I then proceeded to fall back with my newly powered up units, all the while throwing pinning shots with the carbines and keeping the suits with their drones up front.

When the enemy did get close enough to the retreating line to assault next round, the suits would jump forward, shoot with their dones/special issue weapons, flame the crap outta them, then charge with 21 attacks on the charge(the drones contributed 12). The suits 9 attacks had strentgh 6 on the charge and were hitting on a 3+. The drones were not as good offensively, however they did serve a wonderful defensive pupose. The struck at the same time as the enemy with an Initiative 4, and were able to soak wounds that first round for the suits. It was evil!!!! >

The Fire warriors, sat back and pinned everything. They would not charge until a turn in which the enemy unit did not get pinned. Then they would charge with 24 attacks hitting on a 3+ with a strength of 4. Sure they didn't get to go first, but whatever they charged was so badly mangled at this point, it didn't really matter. ;D

My friends were like "that's not right, tau performing well in hand to hand??? I mean what the hell are we supposed to do?? We ca't beat you in a firefight, and we can now only match up evenly in CC". Stunned I replied "sorry guys, I thought this list would suck because my HQ's cost so much, I was trying to give you a win, and play something fun." :

I think this list would work for 2000 points as well, but you'd obviously have to make it smaller. Maybe remove 2 troop choices, and 2 piranahs from the 4 strong squad would be a good start. Tell me what you think
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...A7B2D8911D19D2
Old 02 Aug 2006, 05:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: It was just for fun, but it turned out to be very powerful.

Hilarious! However, it's quite risky and it requires TWO special characters to operate at full effectiveness. A fast, assaulty army or an opponent who catches on will simply assault your footslogging fw's first, then move on to the ethereal towards the end. Fun to use once, but more easily beaten if you know what's coming...
Old 02 Aug 2006, 05:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Great tactic, but I don't think I'd ever use it for one reason- it doesn't seem very tau-ish. For me, I play more for the spirit and mindset of the army I'm playing, for example with space marines I don't like to retreat because I think it would damage thier honor while with mech tau I run and hide every turn I'm not fighting ;D

But really. Sending the holiest and wisest tau in the empire onto the front lines to be killed in h2h isn't the tau way. Even if it did work, which it idid wonderfully. I can understand drones in cc, and sometimes even some suits, but ethereals ???

I don't know, it just seems like following the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the tau.

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 02 Aug 2006, 05:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Boy oh boy is it ever fun that first time. Let me tell you how liberating it is to not fear hand to hand. It makes you so much more effective too. Just think you'll always maneuver for the best shots, and not have to worry, "Will I be assaulted, can he reach me" Very fun indeed, especially the crisis suits. ;D

As far as them stopping it, All you have to do is make sure and get The pope out front and into assault ASAP. Then you can choose to take all the wounds on him.

And not to fear, it sticks perfectly with tau philosophy. Aun'va is stated to lead from the front lines. This follows that statement, his warriors right behind him, his armor/piranha up front. He knows he is old, he is there to inspire his warriors to valor and what better way than to lead by example. And if he should fall and sacrifice himself for the greater good, all the better? He needs a way to pass the reigns of leadership to Shadowsun anyway.

Besides, otherwise no one is ever going to use him in play as he costs too much(The stubborn thing is nice though but can't be justified for 205 points).
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I dont know, scarabs, nurglings, etc can tie up a unit, even aun'va, and cause little damage while taking little in return. Should aun'va run up against some swarms, he probably won't be dying very quickly... even assuming he gets into combat and your opponent doesn't simply ignore or go around him.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
I dont know, scarabs, nurglings, etc can tie up a unit, even aun'va, and cause little damage while taking little in return. Should aun'va run up against some swarms, he probably won't be dying very quickly... even assuming he gets into combat and your opponent doesn't simply ignore or go around him.
This is true, I guess he would at least be good for his leadership boost in situations like that. :P

But still, it really isn't like it's that hard to kill someone on your own team. :
Old 02 Aug 2006, 07:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I've always wondered how it would work if someone did that. More power to you.

I'm happy to see how you didn't take the idea too far and still have something balanced and powerful.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 02 Aug 2006, 13:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's pretty hilarious.

I don't know if it's a trick you could pull twice, or something that could work on a consistent basis but it's awesome you pulled it off.

Those suit units would actually be pretty nasty on the charge, though it'd be even funnier with a shas'vre bodyguard since they'd have a nice intiative of 4 on the chage!

Congrats on the win but next time try to bring the Space Pope home in one piece!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 16:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

hey cool battle and list but i think its ilegal because i don't think that crisis elites shas'vres can take the special issue weapons :-[

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 16:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_FireWarrior
hey cool battle and list but i think its ilegal because i don't think that crisis elites shas'vres can take the special issue weapons :-[
Nope, it's legal! 'Vre's, 'El's, & O's can take special issue gear.