Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General help vs IG
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2006, 22:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default General help vs IG

First Post! First Post! Wheee!

Though I'm not exactly new to 40k, I'm new to Tau. I have a 500pt (non-patrol) game coming up against at least one IG player (unsure of composition or terrain). The board will probably be roughly 4x4.

I've played against them as an Eldar player in 3rd ed but I'm still pretty new to 4th ed and Tau. IG was Public Enemy #1 to me in 3rd, and I'm assuming that hasn't changed.

Indirect fire has me worried, and without a quickly-deployable HtH unit, I'm stumped about tying up his infantry. In a small format game, how do you deal with IG? Or large-format, for that matter?

I've got one unit each of kroot (+shaper+hounds), XV8s and stealth suits, 2 units of fire warriors and pathfinders. No tanks yet. Is there any general tactical advice you veterans can offer?
Old 01 Aug 2006, 22:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: General help vs IG

First of all use your Fire Warriors to slaughter his infantry!

Remember that your Kroot are awesome in assault against guard.

I'd reccomend deepstriking a Deathrain (Twin-linked Missiles and a Targetting Array) to deal with a bassilisk.

Unless this indirect fire is from motars? If so, just infiltrate your kroot and eat them

Also, drop the pathfinders for now and replace with plain fire warriors. You could even say that these elite Tau have been gifted with special helmets, and look at this special short barreled pulse rifle they got!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 01 Aug 2006, 23:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heres a list I would suggest for fighting IG on a 500 point army.

Shas'el: TL Missle, Flamer 72pts

4 Stealths 120pts
Crisis: TL fusion, sheild genorator 63

7fw 70pts
7fw 70pts
15 kroot 105pts

The 15 kroot will help to overwhelm the IG squads by out numbering them and out fighting them. The two squads will help to get the objectives. The sunforge will take out heavy armour and the Shas'el will snipe in the begining. And the stealths will wipe the floor with the IG.

Old 02 Aug 2006, 01:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, at 500 pts.. his deployment pattern is quite restricted

2 command squad w/ 2 plasmas a piece comes to 120 pts.

2 infantry squad with plasma and msl is about 170 pts

chimera squad 170 to 180

so he/she's got about 60 pts left after these rather mandatory buys (since you're not playing patrol he needs 2 troops and 1 HQ... and unless he's doing grenadier he needs the first platoon, and the cheapest troop choice next is the fist squad. so barring grenadier doctrine, he will be very hard pressed to put a basilisk on the board at 500 pts.

be more worried about massive number of guard borne heavy weapon towing a hellhound or two.

if he does grenadier, then his loadout could be as low as 2 5Storm trooper sqaud with plasma = 140 pts plus the command squad of 60 pts, thus having 300 pts left. in that case, he could load up on a Lisk AND a Russ.

... I'm thinking this is why there are patrol rules
Old 02 Aug 2006, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Bring a pie plate ^.^ (Hammerhead)
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

In a 500 point game, be sure that you are playing on a 4X4 table. Any larger, and things will get too spread out. Also be sure that 25% of the table is covered by terrain, with as few long firing lanes as possible. (this is standard, look in the big book)

If a basilisk is what you're worried about, dont be! in a smaller game it will eat loads of points, and has a 36" minimum range. Your forward deployment will almost be within his minimum range!

I would reccomend the following army using the models that you have;

12 fw's + shas'ui
one shas'el with missile pod, burst cannon, multi
20 kroot, no upgrades
5 stealth suits

Bringing your total to 495

The shas'el can target any armor your opponent may be fielding, namely chimeras. If you believe he's likely to bring a leman russ, you may want to outfit a stealth suit with a fusion gun, or better yet stay out of LOS of his russ.

The fw's, obviously, should deploy in cover, with los (preferably) to the part of his line that your infiltrators will appear in front of. Using cover near his line, get the kroot just outside of 12" from his lines. The stealths dont have to get that close unless you're trying to blast his tank. The commander is an independent character, so as long as he's within 6" of a friendly unit, he should be fine.

The kroot should probably soften the guard up with shooting at range before moving in to assault. Backed up by your other troops, they should have no problem in storming and breaking the guard from cover... especially from farther than 6" into a forest, where they suddenly recieve no return fire whatsoever!
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Oh how I hate fighting Guard...

They're hard to make an army against. He might go for the 'heaps of vehicles' approach, or he might take the 'heaps of infantry' approach. Mobilise for one, and, if you get the other, you're in serious trouble. Mobilize for both and you have only got a half hearted army...

That being said, the Hammerhead is great at both! Unfortunately, you can't exactly use it in a 500.

Fortunately, it is also hard for him to uses vehicles against you. My advise is Stealthies. Lots of them. They rip guard apart. My other advice is my favourite anti-guard suit, Firestorm (Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker.

Fire Warriors and Kroot are good as well, although they are not as durable as suits.

Have fun!

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You're going to hear me say this a lot, but Piranha are what you need. Think about it, in a 500 point game you could field 3 of em all with targetting arrays and decoy launchers for 210 points. That still leaves you with 290 points. You could buy a 6 man fire warrior team, and a 10 man kroot squad for 130. Now you've got 160 points to buy a commander kitted out like this. Shas'el, CIB, AFP Targetting array, Stimulant injector = 105. This still leaves 55 points for a Crisis suit with a TL fusion targetting array for deep strike tank busting terror.

The real beauty here is that he is unlikely to have the resources to deal with all those fast moving skimmers. They will overload what heavy weapons he does have and kill plenty of guard in the process.

Heck shave a few points off the commander by changing out weapons and get rid of the other crisis suit and you could run 2 squads of 2 and give one squad fusion blasters for tank hunting. He'll never see this coming. Keep in mind that the Piranha are dropping drones which will help kill tons of guard, so giving up burst cannons for fusion doesn't take the Piranha out of the infantry killing game.

Anyway, that's how I always(and I mean always) win my 500 point battles, lots and lots of fast Piranhas. >
Old 02 Aug 2006, 06:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
You're going to hear me say this a lot, but Piranha are what you need. Think about it, in a 500 point game you could field 3 of em all with targetting arrays and decoy launchers for 210 points. That still leaves you with 290 points. You could buy a 6 man fire warrior team, and a 10 man kroot squad for 130. Now you've got 160 points to buy a commander kitted out like this. Shas'el, CIB, AFP Targetting array, Stimulant injector = 105. This still leaves 55 points for a Crisis suit with a TL fusion targetting array for deep strike tank busting terror.

The real beauty here is that he is unlikely to have the resources to deal with all those fast moving skimmers. They will overload what heavy weapons he does have and kill plenty of guard in the process.

Heck shave a few points off the commander by changing out weapons and get rid of the other crisis suit and you could run 2 squads of 2 and give one squad fusion blasters for tank hunting. He'll never see this coming. Keep in mind that the Piranha are dropping drones which will help kill tons of guard, so giving up burst cannons for fusion doesn't take the Piranha out of the infantry killing game.

Anyway, that's how I always(and I mean always) win my 500 point battles, lots and lots of fast Piranhas. >
Yes, but you see that could be considered 'cheesy'. Therefore, you might be facing a Leman Russ, and then you're in trouble (if he knows you're going to be cheesy you should see the cheese you will come up against.

That being said it does sound like a good tactic.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 03 Aug 2006, 02:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Would you say it's a Gouda tactic??? :P
Closed Thread