Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs Deamonhunters 1250pts
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2006, 08:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [BatRep] Tau vs Deamonhunters 1250pts

So, this was a cities of death game, maximum attrition, no stratagems. My camera was on top of Mt. St. Helens so I couldnt get any pictures, but next time decent pictures will be available.

My army:
Commander Shas'el: PR, MP, MT (pink)
10x Firewarriors, Shas'ui (red)
11x Kroot (green)
2x Crisis: TL MP, TL (purple)
3x Crisis: 2x PR, 2x MP, BC, AFP, 3x MT (yellow)
5x Stealth Suits (tealish green)
Piranha: FB, DL (light blue)
Broadside w/ A.S.S (tan)
Hammerhead: Railgun, BC, MT, DL, DP (blue)

His Army:
Two Grey Knights squads w/ about 8 in each, one was deep striking
5 GK Termies
(Inducted Guard with Lascannon) x2
Inducted Guard with Missile Launcher
Inducted Guard with 2x Melta gun in Rhino

Map: It was a 6' x 4' board with a good sized building in the bottom left and upper right corners. Each building is on a raised portion with ramps leading down to the main portion of the board. Along the bottom edge was two rubble buildings that were equally spaced. The upper side and a big piece of area terrain more towards the middle and a smaller on close to the left edge. This left a pretty big open space in the middle for use to duke it out.

He won the pick quarters roll and chose the upper right building which game me the bottom left. I deployed as you can see on the map. I kinda ran out of colors so ill describe his deployment. The guard with heavy weapon platforms were in the building. The grey knights were right along the upper edge of the middle rubble pile. The termies were right above them, with the rhino to the left.

Turn 1: He won the roll to go first and did a happy dance. His rhino moved directly left one foot and popped smoke. The GKs moved into the demolished building, but they stayed close to the left edge of the building, leaving them vulnerable to my fire. The termies moved left and the guard got snake eyes on their difficult terrain roll and they stayed put. The GKs fired on the firewarriors killing one and another FW was killed by a lascannon . Everyone else missed and the terminators were not able to see the stealth suits ;D

My hammerhead moved straight up twelve inches behind the rubble. The piranha turbos across the map hiding behind the lower right building. The upper left FWs move toward the action and the kroot move down the ramp. My stealths, purple crisis, and commander more straight up. The yellow crisis squad is moved infront of the kroot. The stealths unleash a fury of tau bullets into the GKs, killing 5 and making up their points right away ;D. The missile pods and plasma are only able to kill one more GK. The broadside makes a shot at the rhino and only stuns it, but the rhino crew shakes it off. Everyone else is not able to see the grey knights due to shrouding (i think thats what they have). All my suits jump back to relative safety.

Turn 2: Deepstrike roll is failed. The rhino moves left, right along the upper part of the ruined building and unloads a squad of guard that have melta guns (they are within range of my hammerhead). The GKs, move back into the depths of the ruin, keeping them safe. The termies move down towards the circular pylons. The guard roll a 2 on difficult terrain and stay put. A frag missile takes out one FW in the lower building and a lascannon takes out another. Termies shoot at the TL Missile pods crisis suits and put a wound on one of them. The melta guns both roll ones and the hammerhead crew cheers!.

The hammerhead moves up and readies the burst cannons and submunition rounds. The suits jump forward to the pretty much the same spots. The ground troops stay still because they are covering most of the angles for kill zone. The piranha joy rides around the building, because if he pops out he will become lascannon fodder. The hammerhead lets loose and kills 4 guard. The rest of the army shoots at the termies killing only one. The crisis suits jump back away from the termies.

Turn 3: He fails his deepstrike again. The rhino guard move towards the hammerhead. The termies actually back away. The rhino moves to become a sheild for the termies. I learn that I forgot to move my commander and he gets a lascannon hole through the chest :'( A couple more firewarriors die to scattered fire, but they pass all their leadership tests. A wound is placed on the yellow crisis squad. The melta guns fire into the hammerhead and this time both of them hit. There is an argument over whether or not I moved the hammerhead over 6" (I did), we finally decide that I can use the DPs even though there are too close. The DPs work, converting both shots to glancing and the railgun and burst cannon are destroyed.

The hammerhead retreats 8". The upper left FWs move toward teh guard that are harassing the hammerhead. The lower FWs both move directly up. He keeps falling backwards so I decide to press forward with the suits. The broadside moves forward 4 inches. My army again unleashed its fury upon those blasted termies and again fails to do anything. The stealths go after the GKs that are retreating and lose one to landing in difficult terrain. The broadside knocks the storm bolter off the rhino.

Turn 4: The other GKs are finally dropped and they scatter right into the center of my starting building. The rhino moves to makes the wall again. The termies move toward rhino and cant shoot my crisis suits. The GKs shoot my stealths, killing one, then assult them killing the rest. The deepstriking GKs, blow the broadside to tau heaven. The heavy weapon guardsmen miss everything. The melta guns chase the hammerhead missing again.

The hammerhead retreats again and fires, killing one. The firewarriors rush forward to help but miss in the heat of the moment. The other firewarriors move toward the entrenched guard. The crisis suits move aroudn the rhino. The kroot move up the ramp and place themselves for the greater good. They rapid fire into the GKs and kill two. A termie dies to the crisis suits and nothing else happens.

Turn 5: The hammerhead harassing guard shoot and assult the FW that came to help, two guard and two FW are left. Termies assult the crisis suits. The GKs in my base shoot and assult the kroot killing them all. The other 3 GKs assult my FWs, 2 GKs fall to their death.

Only my hammerhead, 6 FW, and my piranha are not locked in close combat. The hammerhead runs away, the piranha darts towards the rhino, and the firewarriors book it away from the hand to hand combat. The assult phase end with some dead and wounded crisis suits.

Turn 6: Heavy Weapons miss the piranha. 1 GK kills the rest of the FW squad. The termies kill one squad of crisis suits and consolidate into the other killing them. The guard and FWs kill each other in hand to hand combat.

The piranha moves in and destroys the rhino and the game ends.

VP wise it turned out to be a solid victory for the deamonhunters. It was actually a really good game, one of the best I have played so far. In the end I was only left with 6 FWs, a piranha, and a really dilapitated hammerhead to his 6 GKs, three termies, and three whole squads of guard.

There were two things that I did to turn the tide to the deamonhunters. First off I moved the stealth suits into the area terrain after the GKs. Bad move, they totally owned me. He just kept moving away and I finally moved to close The same thing happened with the crisis suits. I wasnt taking full advantage of the assult turn jump and it finally caught up with me and it ended up with five crisis suits down the drain. If I would of just kept my distance instead of pressing him, I think this game would of ended way differently.

I know it was a loss .... again, but I think I am finally learning how everything works together. I sometimes fight too agressively with the tau, when they should be a tad more cautious

Attached Images
File Type: jpg deamon-beginning.JPG (31.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 01 Aug 2006, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs Deamonhunters 1250pts

Good game, I'm a little surprised your suits got assaulted, but mistakes happen right?

You make the same mistakes I make I 'm always so very over agressive with my hovertanks... I think that if you (and me) keep the hammerheads abit further back, they would be safer from melta/plasma return fire.

otherwise... pretty good game, the dice was rather loaded against you from the start tho.. losing every side/deploy/turn rolloff like that.
Old 02 Aug 2006, 00:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, I was suprised that I got assulted too. He just kept slowly moving away or into cover and finally one time I didnt jump back the full 6" and BAM! I got termies in my face. I was trying to just keep over 12" away and got kinda carried away. Oh well, I learned that I need to keep as much distance as possible, no more walking the fine line for me. Tau have the range to stay away but sometime I want a better WS and a power weapon!
Old 02 Aug 2006, 01:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

maybe you want to subscribe to the Farsight enclave weekly for more info on that?
Closed Thread