Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mega Battle!
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2006, 05:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mega Battle!

The hobby store I goto is having a megabattle this Saturday....I am allowed 2000 points....Should I bring the 6 Fire warrior squads in devil fish with 3 hammer heads or do I go with a stationary fire base.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 05:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Mega Battle!

Which suits your style of play better?
(And what opposition do you expect to see?)

Play with fire - get burned ... play with concrete - get cured
Old 01 Aug 2006, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I think the enemy will be composed of mostly chaos and necron players.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks a very mobile tau army will hold up on a larger battlefield.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 06:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ive played Mech Tau and Tau in general for quite a while now. And something that Ive come to learn is that sometimes you need to learn when to skuttle the transports and pack in the men. In such a large engagement I would suggest you play to what is expected of Tau. A strong Firebase with mobile elements. If this is a mega battle I expect you will have a number of allies. Thus a hybrid approach isnt a bad idea. When you can count on the mobility of mech to localize your firepower its a strong way to play but with allies and multiple enemies certainty of that deminishes greatly. Plus your allies are probably expecting to see the "Tau Firepower." Now Im not advising always doing whats expected but its not a bad idea to play up to that image somewhat by bringing out the 12 strong Firewarrior squads. Bring the Hammerheads and battlesuits but I wouldnt go with too much mech, leave the Devilfish at home and put up a firebase around which your allies and your mobile elements can work. In a mega battle working as a team can greatly shift the tide of battle and taking a hybrid aproach is good for that. A solid Firebase to anchor your allies conserted efforts and mobile elements to quickly support your comrades and target specific foes.

Its up to you though. Mech can still be very powerful on a larger battlefield especially with allied support. One of my favorite mega battles I was in saw Tau and Eldar vs a mass of Imperials. My mech army and a mechanized Eldar army formed a huge armored wedge comprising more than 13 skimmer tanks and more than half a dozen smaller skimmers that powered down the center breaking the enemy in half. The greater toughness of the Tau tanks mixed with the speed and firepower of the Eldar was a nice team. But it all depends.

Something else to consider is necrons. They are especially good against mech of all kinds. Gauss flayers rapid firing are the bane of all tanks from the rhino to the land raider. If your expecting a lot of them then mech may not be the way to go but again its up to personal preference and style. Sometimes fighting with the style that works best for you is a good idea despite facing disadvantages. It can be better than trying to fight in a way thats not comfortable to you.

Old 01 Aug 2006, 07:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would take a stationary force, if you have lots of allies, you can effectivley be their fire-support while they dive for objectives.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 01 Aug 2006, 13:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers
I would take a stationary force, if you have lots of allies, you can effectivley be their fire-support while they dive for objectives.
I agree.. markerlight the enemy and shoot him to pieces.. but again.. its all based on your type of play.
Old 01 Aug 2006, 13:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Stationary force would be adviseable against Necrons, lots of guns at lots of range, and have your ally deal with assaults, aggresive flanking or otherwise. Try taking lots of missile pods, and plasmas or fusions if you take crisis suits, and a HH (or two ) with an ion cannon for its low AP. Depends what you've got tho, models wise.

Maybe mount up one squad of FWs in a DF and use it for getting in close if needs be? Something other than 100% stationary, but not full mechanised of course (scary gauss weapons)

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 01 Aug 2006, 22:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

i like mobility vs necrons, so you can stage an a larger assault against annoying telliporting necron lords. also i think the necrons should not be so bad against vehicles unless they can rapid fire them. also crisis suit i find is the best way against necrons and chaos
Old 01 Aug 2006, 22:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Lots of Crisis Suits. Possibly Shovah too with his guard.
Closed Thread