Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A couple of questions
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jul 2006, 07:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A couple of questions

Hi everyone, thanks for looking over and hopefully answering my questions Im still kinda new to the game and a couple of things keep poping up in game play.

1. I know skimmers dont block line of sight, but does the person shooting at the people behind skimmers have to take a target priority test?

2. If a crisis suit takes a plasma rifle and he moves he can only shoot 12 inches due to it being a rapid fire weapon. I was playing a game the other day and the guy that I was playing against said that was wrong and they could shoot 24" because it was a crisis suit.

3. When the weapon profile says G##, I know this means guess weapon, but do you really guess a range and put the marker down there or do you place the marker where you want it, check the range, and roll a scatter dice plus 2D6 and take the highest. (someone said they took the whole guessing thing out)

4. How does indirect fire work, I have looked all over the rule book and searched this site and I cannot find an answer.

Thank you again. If you cannot answer these questions due to copy right stuff, I apologize for asking and a mod can lock the post. The first two I am pretty sure I know the right answer but I think the guy I was playing was cheating me because he knew I was new to the game. Question three I keep getting different answers for and question 4 I just can find a definition for indirect fire in a codex or the rule book.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 07:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: A couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerizedfish
Hi everyone, thanks for looking over and hopefully answering my questions Im still kinda new to the game and a couple of things keep poping up in game play.

1. I know skimmers dont block line of sight, but does the person shooting at the people behind skimmers have to take a target priority test?
Yes they do. The rules for this are in the rulebook and it can be a little confusing. Bassicly you have small targets (infantry mainly) and then large targets (armored vehicles and monsterous creatures). A closer infantry unit can be ignored to target a farther away large target. But it doesnt work the other way around. You cant ignore say a Bloodthirster to target a squad of chaos marines but you can ignore the marines to target a bloodthirster if its further away. If however a rhino was between the marines and thirster you would still need the target priority check. Hopefully that wasnt too confusing. The rulebook probably explains it better and with pics.

Page 19 of the BFM rulebook under the Choose a Target section titled "firing at large targets"

Quote:
2. If a crisis suit takes a plasma rifle and he moves he can only shoot 12 inches due to it being a rapid fire weapon. I was playing a game the other day and the guy that I was playing against said that was wrong and they could shoot 24" because it was a crisis suit.
That is correct, a crisis suite can always fire rapid fire weapons as though they were stationary. I think the actual rule is the stabilization system. Should be in the codex... ah yes page 27 under the XV8 entry, next to last sentence:

"The battlesuits are designed to compensate for the recoil of light weapons fire, so they do not count as moving when they fire Rapid Fire weapons. This ability does not extend to heavy weapons, however, and the user must be stationary to fire them."

Quote:
3. When the weapon profile says G##, I know this means guess weapon, but do you really guess a range and put the marker down there or do you place the marker where you want it, check the range, and roll a scatter dice plus 2D6 and take the highest. (someone said they took the whole guessing thing out)
From what Ive heard its the later of the two. You put the marker down and then check range and roll the scatter etc. Though I admit my experience with guess weapons is limited. I just dont use them much.

Quote:
4. How does indirect fire work, I have looked all over the rule book and searched this site and I cannot find an answer.
If I remember right if your firing a weapon that can fire indirectly and the target is not in LOS then you add a D6 to the number of dice you roll for scatter like if the vehicle moved. I may be wrong though and I cant seem to find it in the rulebook but at nearly 3:30 AM Im not trying to hard.

Quote:
Thank you again. If you cannot answer these questions due to copy right stuff, I apologize for asking and a mod can lock the post. The first two I am pretty sure I know the right answer but I think the guy I was playing was cheating me because he knew I was new to the game. Question three I keep getting different answers for and question 4 I just can find a definition for indirect fire in a codex or the rule book.
No these are not questions that break copyright they have to do with the application of the rule due to a specific question and not asking for the rules themselves. So dont wory about it.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions satisfactorily.

Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Vash113 got them all consistant with the book except #4.

Direct fire means that you can draw a line of sight to your target. If you can, and fire a guess range (or barrage) weapon, then you: Place the template, check range, and roll a scatter dice and 1D6.

Indirect fire means that line of sight is blocked to your target. If you can not draw a line of sight, you can still fire a guess range (or barrage, or indirect fire) weapon, in this case you: Place the template, check range, and roll a scatter dice and 2D6 - picking the highest. (effectively scatter would be between 1" and 6")

Just to be thorough, this is my take on Nightfighting rules, which I believe are a little more confusing and I hope I have correct.

If you fire using Nightfighting rules...
Step 1: Roll spotting distance (2D6 x 3). If you have a line of sight, but did not roll a high enough spotting distance, you may still fire, although it is counted as indirect fire instead of direct fire.

Step 2a: If it is direct fire, do everything the same as above.

Step 2b: If it is indirect fire (either due to blocked line of sight or not enough spotting distance rolled) then: Place template, check range (to make sure it is within maximum range), roll a scatter dice and 2d6" picking the highest, roll an additional 1d6" and add it to the scatter distance. (effectively scatter could be between 2" and 12" in this case).

That's my take.

Aun'Shasta
Old 31 Jul 2006, 14:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

round 3:

how about leman russ rolling along and decide to fire in the dark.

fails the spot check.

3d6 pick highest?!?
Old 31 Jul 2006, 14:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So, if the crisis moves w/ a plasma rifle and the enemy unit is say 20" away does he 1 or 2 shots w/ it being rapid fire.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1 shot.

refer to big black book regarding rapid fire weapons, and tau empire codex regarding recoil absorbtion.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Silky Shas'O:

A crisis suit can basically fire 2 plasma rifle shots between 1" and 12" and 1 plasma rifle shot between 12.1" and 24" regardless of it's movement. It can also assault at any time - a no no for "normal" units that rapid fire. Knight Actual is absolutely correct. See big black book for rules about rapid fire weapons, then see the Tau Empire codex for info regarding XV8 recoil absorption.

Knight Actual:

My interpretation of your leman russ question:
The tank fires using whatever rules it normally does (going from memory, but I think it's scatter die + pick highest of 2D6" scatter distance since it moved and can't see the target).
The nightfighting rules explain what to do regarding barrage and ordinance barrage (a.k.a. guess range weapons) on page 84 of the "Big Black Book" - when the target is "unseen" it says to add an extra 1D6" to the distance scattered.

So it's not exactly roll 3D6 pick the highest. It's roll 2D6 pick the highest (as normal) then ADD an additional 1D6" to that. Difference is, this way, it would scatter between 2" and 12", representing much less accurate fire; where with 3D6 pick the highest it would only scatter between 1" and 6".

That's my take at least.

Aun'Shasta
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you all. Dont you just hate it when you keep missing the answer in the codex over and over again :
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunshasta
It can also assault at any time - a no no for "normal" units that rapid fire.
Is this true? I don't believe it is. Stable Platform rules, from memory, apply only to how your movement affects your shooting. I don't seem to recall it stating that it trumps the BBB ruling that a unit which fires a rapid fire weapon may not assault - at all.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Page 55 of the BFM rulebook says this:

"In the shooting phase, models with jet packs are allowed to fire rapid fire weapons once at up to maximum range, even if the unit has moved. They are also allowed to declare a charge after firing rapid fire weapons."

As Tau are the only ones with Jet packs we are the only ones that get to do this. All other jump infantry cant charge after firing rapid fire. Too bad for them huh?

Closed Thread