Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs Orks vs Necrons!!!!!!! oh my!!!!
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jul 2006, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau vs Orks vs Necrons!!!!!!! oh my!!!!

What kind of army list would you guys use? I have some success against both armies( and more than a few defeats), but just curious what my fellow fighters for the greater good would do.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 03:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau vs orks vs necrons!!!!!!! on my!!!!

Let them duke it out and rail gun the big 'uns.That's my advise, but it could get you killed if you try it to much or the other players are buddies.

Old 31 Jul 2006, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well is it 3 way free for all or 3 way carnage or what?

Assuming it's a 3 way free for all, you'll be facing two very different armies. This is why I would highly reccomend pathfinders. Pathfinders allow you to improve the weapons you need the most when you need them. If one of your opponents is more aggressive towards you, you can bring the needed firepower to bear.

I would highly reccomend;

Burning eye crisis suits; burst cannons and plasma combined are great against heavy infantry.

Stealth suits; infiltrate means that you can attack an isolated or weak point unexpectedly, or you can inflitrate them to prevent the enemy from infiltrating closer to you. Either way, a great strategic advantage. In addition, 18 pulse rounds hitting better because of markerlights deal insane amounts of damage.

Ionhead; armed with burst cannons for extra cheapness, a 135ish ionhead can mow down necrons, even toughies, with ease, while eliminating trukks to boot.

Airbursting frag projector; if those orks try to hide in cover and advance, you can give them a very nasty surprise. DO NOT put it on your commander, because it will waste his bs.

Kroot. DO NOT skip on the kroot. If scarabs come your way, kroot can swat them aside, and absorb the wounds from wraiths too. (just not flayed ones, keep them away from the flayed ones) Regular orks don't like kroot either, but nobs and scarboyz will cut right through them. Still very, very good against both armies for deterring assault.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 04:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright, another tactica for dealing with Necrons (now with an Orky twist!).

Depending on your style, you would either go static, mech or hybrid. I will outline both static and mech, but not really hybrid, since all you need to do to make a hybrid list is to pick and choose from mech and static.

Hybrid My personal style. Since I like this more, I have a bit more experience, thus it may work better. Basicaly, it works around 2-4 flanking formations and 1 support formation.

Flanking formation 1 This is usually either DS, or deploted to the right or left (opposite of the support collum). These units would either take out the most important element or thin down hordes to workable chunks for FWs. However, the opposite can be used. The formation care be a mop up unit to finish up any left overs from enemy squads.

Commander-Usually I use a Shas'el with CiB, BC/PR TA and HWMT. This generates 7-8 shots. This is usually extremely good against hordes (Orks will never have a save against this) and if you use a PR (sometimes a better choice than a BC) it's very good against Necrons (The mini-rending from the CiB helps alot too). I do NOT suggest you attach a bodygaurd for your commander since it is a very good Particle Whip or Battle Cannon magnet (or any other high strength, low AP pie plates). I lost over 300 pionts of battlesuit because of a stray pie plate (I really mean stray! It was meant for a group of gun drones!) Also, a Commander loses his IC status which is much better than bodygaurds. Also, do NOT over-equip your Commander. too many toys make it heavy gauss cannon or rokkit laucher magnet (in most cases these guns will insta-kill your Commander, so watch out!). Main use for the Commander: Either hide it behind terrain or a squad of Firewarriors, or preferably, gun drones (gun drones can keep up with a Commander, while a FW squad is too slow), and blast away at the Orks or Necrons (remeber to use JSJ!). Another option (but less advised) is to DS your commander with gun drones (don't try to DS with other suits, they will be dead before they shoot) and either take out their Lord or Warboss or some hiddeen vehicles in their rear armour (Don't try this with the Monolith!).

Crisis: Best configs are Helios (PR, FB and MT), FireKnife (PR, MP and MT) and Birghtwind (PR, BC and MT). The Helios would almost always take out Necrons. Orks are not worth the AP1 or 2 of these big guns. However, you can use these aainst mega-armored Nobz or Warbosses. Helios are (almost) always best DS because of their restrictive range (12"). However, if you use lots of expendable units (Kroot, FW, gun dones)m they can get to their targets quite unscathed. The best however is to have the Shas'vre get a HW Drone controller so you would have some ablative wounds. FireKnife is agmost the most (widely used) and flexable Crisis config out there. These suits work wonders against massed Ork buggies and trukkz. The excelent range of the Missilepod will almost keep you out of harms way when "sniping" (can't really be called sniping because of the Crisis' BS) those really fast buggies and trukkz (which would certainly make a mess of your FWs if they made it to CC). The Plasma rifle should really be used as self defence if say, a Necron got too close. You don't need to DS with these. If Helios is anti-power armour, then Brightwind is anti-horde. This config pumps out 5 high strength shots at 12" range. This suit will take care of any orks or scarabs swarms in your way. However, just like the Helios. It has a rescitive range (12-18"). So I would either deepstrike or hide behind units to get to the orks.

Stealths: This is almost anti-horde (with the exception of the now comman FB). This unit is probably my favorite Tau unit. Up to 6 BCs, Steathfield, decent save and jetpack, This unit packs an impressive punch. The Stealthfield will easily keep you out of harms way (until you get close). So I wouldn't DS. However, since the stealths have the ability to take support systems I would take 1 Drone controller per every 3 members of the team. The rest should take TAs. Basically, you have 12 shots hitting on 3s, 6 shots hitting on 4s and 4 "extra" wounds from gun drones (don't take marker drones, completely not worth it.) These units are excelent at ambushing an isolated squad of Boyz. Don't try to take out necrons. it takes some 20+ shots to statisticaly put down a Necron so it's not worth it. Also, don't take the FB. It may only cost 2 pionts, but it takes 2 shots away, and to be truly useful, the team must be within 6", making the stealthfield useless.

Flanking formation 2 This is your main formation. Though it's not exactly flanking, it is very mobile. This unit would have the most firepower (not the strogest, however) and it is very capable in dealing with most (with the exception of power/termie armour) troops. Your enemy will be trying to take out your more elite units, thus, use that to your advantage and take out key troop units.

FWs: Your core unit. Each squad should be mounted on a devilfish. (However, don't over gun your fish). Only 1 out of 4 firewarriors should carry a pulse carbine (I usuualy just have 1 squad out of my 4 squads carry them). The pulse rifle is a formidable weapon. However, if you go mech, the (relatively)massive range is quite useless. Thus, you should always try to FoF an Ork player. However, don't use all 4 squads to FoF. Always keep the carbine squad just in range to either finish off the squad or keep the squad pinned to let your FWs scoot back into their fishes without must return fire. NEVER FoF a Necron player. Pulse Rifles do (almost) nothing against them. Carbines almost never pin too. And fishes will easily go down to gauss fire. stay away from them and use the 30" to take them out.

Kroot I'm a purist tau player. Meaning, I don't really like using Kroot. However, they do have their uses. They have a very good WS, a Bolter, and good strength. Keep them close to your FWs. If they get into trouble in CC. Help them out. Use the Kroot to counter-charge (a squad of 10 Kroot will produce 30 attacks), and in most cases the enemy will be crushed. Kroot because of they're cost are often used as shields and use that if the enemy wouldn't come close to you (however, they will try to rush you in almost in every case).

Gun drones: This should really be in the other formation, but they are a valuable asset to the troop choices. They are often used as shields and for some strange reason, they are very resilent (my frizzbees took more than 2000 pionts of Chaos shooting and never took a casualty). They can pin the enemy before they can shoot your more valuable Firewarriors and that is an extremely valualbe asset. Plus, they have the annoying factor. Everyone loves to see their opponent get all red and stuff. :P

Flank Formation 3: This is all your Heavy support. Usually I stick them with my Troop formation or Support formation. They are often too exposed to AT fire to really be a seperate formation. Their impressive range and firepower would often make them the first target of the game. Use other cheaper units to be a screen for them.

Hammerhead: Ion and Railhead (I'm not getting into the forgeworld heads). The ion head is almost the best choice when facing both Necrons and Hordes. With Ions I put BCs on my fishes to pump out 9 shots capable of ripping through most squads in a turn of shooting. Ions are the moe aggressive of the 2 heads. And often I put FDs on them to kill many a horde in tank shock. Usually I get 3+ kills with that and coupled with the 9 shots, I usually take down 8 models (if not much more). The railhead is only good against the monolith and the Necron Lord. It can easily insta-kill a Lord or take down the Monolith before it even gets close of the fish (usually the Monolith dies at least 48" from my fish). However, the pie plate shot is very good agasint hordes and scarabs (scarabs take twice the damage from blast hits).

Skyray: The only legal mobile markerlight in the Tau army (tetras are not really legal). With 6 seekers and (in most cases) the SMS, this baby is the only indrect fire unit in the Tau army. And it's very good at it. 6 seekers are best used against wraiths, detroyers, buggies and trukkz. Look at your opponents face when all of a sudden, 6 buggies/trukkz/detroyers/wratihs die in an instant. That's the power of the Skyray. You can instantly remove several key models without waiting turns to kill them all and losing guysin the process. The best thing is to keep the ray hidden as much as you can.

Supporting Collum: This is where almost all the markerlights and the static units go. I uually try to hide them in a croner or a side to prevent as much firecoming to them. In most cases, this would attract a lot of the 1st turn fire. so hide them well.

Pathfinders: I usaully take 2 squads for redundancy. This means I usaully run around with almost 16 markerlights. That's a lot of markerlights. With that, I can essentially up my squads preformace my (usually) 33%. That's a huge improvement. And because of that my pathfinders are often feared and the attention of a lot of fire. So, I usually park my fish on an upper corner of my squad to prevent fire from hitting my pathfinders and I deploy the drone in front of them, to further protect them. NEVER give them rail rifles.

Sniper Drone: I never used this unit before. But from what otehr members said, it's a solid unit against power armoured units. However, since I never teated them out, I cannot much about them. Just hide them in the corner, their stealth field will almost always protect them against ranged attacks. Just watch out for CC guys.

Braodsides: with the advent of the ASS, BS are making a comeback. They are semi-moblie heavy weapons platform, capable of taking out the heavist armour. They are usualyl good for 1 purpose: Take out the Monolith. That is their promary objective. After that, take out the Lords, wraiths, and destroyers. The latter will always make a mess of they units if they come too close. I almost never upgrade to plasma, since I never get into range. SMS is good enough.

General Notes:

Vehicles: Always give the fishes decoy launchers and Multi-tackers. I usaully care 2 seekers to give my seeker ocunt a boost.

Static formations: I usually give a squad of kroot or drones to protect my valuable support.

Shas'ui/vres: always upgrade. That ability to boost the LD by +1 is always a good thing.

Bonding: Righ risk units (ex. crisis, stealths and FWs) should always bond. What's the piont of having 200+ piont FW squad and their DF running way?

Anyway, hope this helps!

Old 31 Jul 2006, 11:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would take alot of STatic FWs to deal with orks and their trucks (the ork truck dies pretty quickly to massed PR fire), and a whole bunch of crisis suits and an Ion head all configured for blasting 3+ saves, maybe also some sniper drones to assist in the necron-bashing. I also find that steathsuits are exceptionally useful against Orks.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 01 Aug 2006, 13:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Forgot to include:

Vespids: The so called atni-power armour saviors of the Tau. IMO, I don't really like them. The models are nice, but they are too vulerable as a signle unit. So, I suggest you put these guys in Flank Formation 1. These guys ae fast, so they can easily keep up wtih Jetpack units. Best advise, don't charge into a full unit of Necrons head on. All MEQ units sport AP5 or better and Vespids essentially have flak amour. Ouch. So don't charge any full units! Use them as a mop up unit to "clean up" any left over Necrons. This way, they would have a very hard time trying to do a WWB roll.

Piranha: One of my favorite vehicles in the game. They're fast, sport realtively decent armour, and carry an impressive amount of firepower for their size (now they even have MORE firepower with the FW variant). However, I NEVER recommend vehicles against Necrons. Every single gun can potentially kill a Land Raider (or even a super heavy, when one has an enough guns) in a single turn. Why should the Piranha do any better? The Piranha should be used against Orks. A full squad can pump out 25 anti-horde shots. That can easily rip a squad or two apart. Don't get the fusion variant. This is quite uesless against both Necrons and Orks (Necrons have living metal and Orks are not worth it).

Hopefully this helps too.
Old 03 Aug 2006, 02:09   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks a lot guys!!!!!! With a bit of luck, I'll win a few for the greater good.
Old 03 Aug 2006, 03:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Let us know how it goes, and good luck.
Old 05 Aug 2006, 21:14   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Tau vs Orks vs Necrons!!!!!!! oh my!!!!

(Walks up wearing old severely undersized Firewarrior outfit)
My Advice would be to always take out the Monolith (or Monoliths) first, that way my orks... er the orks would be more likely to krump the tin 'eads, I mean Necrons!* At least you have to roll to hit for your pie plate shots if you take 'em.* All for the greener good of course! ahem... yeah...

Steelbull
Old 05 Aug 2006, 22:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau vs Orks vs Necrons!!!!!!! oh my!!!!

Submunitions don't just do 2 wounds to scarabs, but would instant-kill the bases. This is a great way to wipe out the scarabs, considering your other high-strength weapons will be concentrated on the bots and your anti-infantry on the greenskins.

Personally, I prefer Fireknife suits in this situation. At 12", they can pump out 4 shots - all of which will wound just about anything save for a destroyer lord on a 2+, the plasma shots cut through 'cron armour, and missile pods through 'eavy armour. But, I'm a bit of a 'newbie' so to speak - I'd trust what Stargazer had to say.

If you ask me, don't shoot the orks until they make a move for you (or something that looked like a move towards you) save for the transports, which you should take out ASAP. Concentrate fire on the 'Crons, and try to get them to phase out. Hopefully, the orks would have gone for them, and would end up away from you.

If the Orks split their forces, concentrate all your anti-infantry firepower you can on them, while using your rails to focus on the nastier 'Crons (read: destroyers, monolith).

If the Ork player goes after you with all he's got, then reply in kind. But I'd still say use your hammerhead, broadsides, and sniper teams to go after the nasty 'crons.

Good luck.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Closed Thread