Hammerheads 11 18.97%
stealth suits 10 17.24%
broadsides 4 6.90%
Devilfish 2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah
Default Best Tau Unit?

So what do you think is the best unit? I have to say Crisis battlesuit and pathfinders.

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

[taken from Adeptus Mechanicus manual]
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Best Tau Unit?

the poll needs more choice....broadsides, stealth suits, hammerheads?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah

Ok there.

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

[taken from Adeptus Mechanicus manual]
Old 14 Dec 2004, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Well my favourite unit are stealth suits as they are brilliant for sneaking past armies and eliminating weak firebases. They are also great for keeping lightly armoured hordes at bay.

I think the most effective unit if you really know what you are doing and you have the right list is pathfinders, but they are very hard to use really effectively.

Kroot IMO are the best point for point unit in the game.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 15:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovah
So what do you think is the best unit? I have to say Crisis battlesuit and pathfinders.
Pathfinders ???

No offence but I think they are one of the worst units in the game, even with their railguns.

Due to conquer the world next Friday.

For the Greater Bad!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 15:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

railrifles (lol!) actually, im sure that was just a typo! best in large points games..only effective with railrifles IMO and should be used as sniper units. However they do get expensive quickly and arent particularly tough as well so its best to keep them in cover and snipe....good unit only when used right (if you think about it every unit is like that)...and better in large point battles....a luxery not a necessity...but a dam nice luxury!
Old 17 Dec 2004, 01:58   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

what is the difference between railrifles and railguns?
Old 17 Dec 2004, 02:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aegis Guard

Rail rifles can be carried by a single soldier...rail guns are mounted on hammerheads and broadsides.

Stealthsuits are freakin ridiculous. The amount of fire that comes from them is devastating to lightly armored troops but the bulk of fire is enough to take down Rhino's and, most nasty in my experience, my poor defenseless Terminator's. I'm not a Tau player but I can tell you what freaks me out. Stealth suits. Stealth suits. And I'll say it again, Stealth suits.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 02:18   #9 (permalink)
Azrail

I haven't played Tau much but I've played my fair share of battles against em. Personally, I liked the Steal Suits cause they eliminated half my seraphim squad no problem and hammerheads cause they took out my Penitent enignes quickly... Even though they had already caused mass chaos lol.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 02:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I gotta go with the hammerhead as the best. *I love those things, and typically field two in a 1500 point army. *They are very tough to kill (13 front armor, skimmer+12" movement = glancing only, decoy launchers, sometimes disruption pods work but I never take them) and can dish out a fair amount of punishment against both heavy armor and infantry. *Their versatility makes them a must have unit, and I use them as a kind of "crisis tank" *(crisis suits were so named originally because they were always coming to the aid of others in a crisis.) *I use my HH's to hit hard where I need to, because the hh's can pop forward, back, flank, etc to where they're needed in a hurry and hit hard when they get there. *

Strengths; tough, powerful, fast, skimmer, hard to kill in hth
weaknesses; ap1 weapons (negate the "glancing only" rule), massed weapons fire

As opposed to stealth suits, which are hard to spot at long range, but to be in range they're (on average) going to be seen by the enemy. *Gotta fear 18 shots every turn from them though.... even termies WOULD have a hard time resisting that. *Stealth teams don't like fast infantry, which can easily catch them off guard. *

In the end, it depends on preference. *I choose the hh because I mostly play nids, and nids have the toughest time destroying the thing, even with warp blast, which is only ap2, and therefore still only a glancing hit. *Against nids, my stealth team often gets caught and slaughtered, mostly because nearly everything niddy has fleet of foot. *In the end it comes down to the fact that I love big guns and speed, so the hh holds a special place in my heart.