Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Likelihood of a Human "Tau" army?
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Likelihood of a Human "Tau" army?

Some of you may remember my first post where I asked about the Tau being good guys. This is somewhat of a follow-up post to that.

I had originally decided to go with a Space Wolves force, but an owner of a gaming shop that came in not far from my home has a Tau army he has offered to sell me for a cheap price. I haven't seen the models yet as he's been a bit busy with his Magic tournament his store is hosting, but he told me it's a "good-sized" army and he wouldn't sell me any miniatures he didn't think were good quality. They've apparently been packed up a while and he wants to make sure they weren't damaged during the move.

So, this got me thinking about perhaps pursuing a Tau force. Granted, I am a close combat junkie, but I'm also a junkie for speed (I had originally wanted to do a White Scars force but then they changed the rules in 4th edition. ), so I'm looking into maybe doing a Mech Tau force, mainly because I think Tau tanks look awesome. I have a Mech Warrior thing, and the Crisis suits really do a lot to fit the bill.

However, I've never cared much for the Tau as a race. Blue skin, flat face, cloven feet, not all that attractive. So, I was wondering how likely it could be that I could play a Tau force, but model them as Imperial Guard? I remember a tutorial on the GW site some time back that showed how you could make Fire Warriors look like humans, just switch the legs out with Imperial Guardsmen and all.

I was thinking on doing the army based on the idea of a regiment of Imperial Guard that got left behind in the Damocles campaign (I believe that was the name) that left so many Imperial Guard stranded, which was the final straw that broke the Lieutenant's back. I was thinking of a man who has grown sick and tired of the corruption that eats at the heart of the Imperium, of following orders conjured by greedy men who hide their interests by proclaiming to speak for the Emperor. Corrupt planetary governors, cramped and polluted hive cities, and now the Imperium deserts them on an alien world...I see it as the Lieutenant finally giving up hope on the Imperial system as a whole.

Angry, heart-broken, he prepares to make a stand against the alien Tau, but the Imperial Guard is quickly overwhelmed but the Tau make him an offer. He has led his men bravely, his soldiers have demonstrated great courage, there is no need for them to die so needlessly. Join the Tau Empire, they said, and fight for the Greater Good.

The Lieutenant sees this as a chance to start over, to cut ties with the rot and decay of the Imperium and start afresh, to fight the good fight and change the galaxy like he'd joined the Guard to do in the first place. The Imperium has failed to give Mankind the glorious future they deserve; perhaps in the Greater Good humans can find their destiny. Surely it can't be any worse. After-all, humanity united under the Greater Good is still humanity united, right?

How plausible do you think this would be? I would play the army as Tau for all intents and purposes, only their fluff would be Imperial Guard and I would try to model them as such to the best of my ability (I can barely afford one army, let alone a second army to build the first!). I know humans can be used as Auxiliary troops, but could they earn an army in their own right? Their Lieutenant acting as a new Shas'o or Shas'el, the Guardsmen being equipped with Firewarrior weaponry, trading their Leman Russ tanks and Chimeras for Hammerheads and Devilfish? Theoretically I believe it's possible under the idea of the Greater Good, but I'm not sure just how possible it is in practice.

I thought it might make for some good stories. Former Lieutenant of the Imperial Guard working to diplomatically conquer Imperial worlds to bring them under the more benevolent light of the Tau Empire, employing surgical strikes to minimize Imperial losses in battle to attempt to force their surrender. Imagine the looks on a PDF officer's face when the Shas'o removes his helmet to show the veteran face of a former Guardsman!

I would avoid Vespid and Kroot per se, as the humans would undoubtedly be creeped out by their presence, but perhaps the Kroot can be replaced with more rugged "Mountain Men" sorts, or maybe I could use Ogryn models with some Tau symbols.

What do you guys think? I'm not 100% committed to the idea of the army yet as I haven't seen it, but it is an idea that interests me and I thought I'd see what you all thought.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Likelihood of a Human "Tau" army?

I'm sorry, but the Tau don't give humanity that much War Tech. Human pirates that have killed Tau and stolen their crap however....
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have done it and most of the people I play have said they liked the way the army looks. I went off the fluff that my guys, a group I call the Free Colonials*, stole the weapons and gear from one of Farsight's lieutenants... that is the reason that Farsight can not take humans any more because he can no longer trust them! =^.^=

* = I watched too many episodes of Battlestar Galactica when I was growing up and I wanted a 40K army that was sane and I saw my chance when GW made plastic Cadians

Here are some pics of some of my units:

The Green Crisis Suits are mine, the white ones belong to another player.

Old 30 Jul 2006, 06:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

house rules only friend.
sad but true.
that "get their heinies handed to 'em
by enemy humans and marines" rule
makes kroot a better choice in most
cases, anyway.

KCKitsune - groovy paint job on the tank, buddy!

Old 30 Jul 2006, 07:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Shure, I think its a great idea.

Make them from Tau-colonized human planet where orks attacked, due to a shortage of millitary resources in the system, the fire-cast stationed there were forced to distribute weaponry to the populace(comprised largely of guard regiments abandoned by the Imperium) to assist in the planetary defense.

The commander leading the defense was impressed with the skill and courage of the ex-guardsmen, by the time off-planet reinforcements arrived, the system was under control. The system (make up a tau-ish name) has, since used a large contigient of human troops along side small groups of trained fire caste; in their cadre they are well respected and receive training and equipment equal to any Firewarrior of another cadre - an anomily in Tau Imperium of strict caste systems.

At least that would be how I would spin it, I really like the concept.

You can say that the battlesuit operators are Tau Shas 'ui, 'vre, 'el and 'Os who are commanding the human forces. you could include kroot and vespid too; just say that over their years of fighting, the humans have grown used to the sight of these odd aliens and have come to respect their combat effectivness.

PS. KCKitsune, I like your soldiers and Crisis suits, they look like a real jungle-fighting cadre.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 30 Jul 2006, 07:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds like it would work really well to me. It would make a VERY interesting army.

However, I'm not sure I understand your objections to using normal Tau. You mentioned that you don't like the look of the Tau race, but there is only one unit in the entire army that does not wear full armour/clothing. You don't have to see any blue skin in a Tau army if you don't want to.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 30 Jul 2006, 08:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

2 ways you can do this..

1) change your fire-warriors a bit. If they've been fully trained the tau way, they won't be worth much in melee either. Nice cosmetic change, pretty simple.

2) IG doctrines for Carapace armor (use the FW types) and the such... Still stuck with lasguns, but on the other hand... TANKS.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 10:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Oh yes. Giving your fire warriors human heads, hands, and feet is fine.

A sentinel/Crisis suit cross would be awesome.

Just remember: the statline stays the same. The humans are weighed down by a huge gun, so they are WS 2, etc.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 30 Jul 2006, 10:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers
Make them from Tau-colonized human planet where orks attacked, due to a shortage of millitary resources in the system, the fire-cast stationed there were forced to distribute weaponry to the populace(comprised largely of guard regiments abandoned by the Imperium) to assist in the planetary defense.
Actually, my Colonials were minding their own business when the Imperials came to their sector of space (they control about 50 planets... nothing compared to the Imperium) and were wanting them to rejoin the Imperium. The Colonials, believing in a Divine Creator that was NOT the Emperor, politely declined. After speaking some pleasentries, the Imperials went back to their ship in orbit and did an Exterminatus on the Home World of the Colonials, and expected them to bow down to Imperial power... they were sadly mistaken.

The Free Colonials sent out teams to find the tech needed for them to be on an even footing with Space Marines because they feared those psychopaths. One team found Farsight, and after teaming up with him, were able to get themselves close enough to get access to their database (which had the blue prints for all of their gear... Farsight has to build a little bit of his own gear). They did a smash and grab and got the heck out of Dodge. Farsight, enraged by the betrayal of the Free Colonial mercenaries, executed the remaining Colonials in his employ and disbanded the rest of the human auxiliaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers
PS. KCKitsune, I like your soldiers and Crisis suits, they look like a real jungle-fighting cadre.
Actually, they are in standard issue olive drab, they are not jungle fighters at all. Also, since my Colonials stole the tech from the Tau, the Crisis suits are piloted by humans rather than Tau. Fluff wise they are humans, but stat wise they are straight Tau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Just remember: the statline stays the same. The humans are weighed down by a huge gun, so they are WS 2, etc.
Actually, I think of my people as WS 2 because they are taught to shoot, shoot again, and when the enemy gets that close... back up and shoot the frakkers one more time! =^.^= Just like the US Army (when is the last time you heard of the US Army engaging in hand to hand combat?)
Old 30 Jul 2006, 14:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

convert the tau models to be like a "modern human" army. id love to see it. mod the fishes and hammerheads into apache/ commanche like gunships, or else other choppery things.

of course, they'd be a "human army that has really advanced tech, but im using the tau codex to represent it".

no luck on tau allowing humans access to so much kit. tau gue'la units are back up and support mostly and are never a huge part in tau plans...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread