Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pulse Carbines: Essential or Not?
View Poll Results: Pules Carbines: Essential or Not?
Don't need them 1 4.35%
Good to have 11 47.83%
Don't need them 9 39.13%
Pusle Carbines? HUH? 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 14 Dec 2004, 00:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Pulse Carbines: Essential or Not?

I was just wondering if pulse carbines are essential or not. If you vote for the last option I'm gonna cry!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Pulse Carbines: Essential or Not?

They can be handy, but not so much against high-leadership troops like tyranids or marines with their new rules. They are really only good for pinning, so don't take them against armies you can't pin.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

it depends entirely on the army you play against, but even against higher leadership armies they come in handy sometimes (NOT black templars, forget about using carbines against them! their special rule, for those who don't know, is that if they fail a morale check of any kind, they don't become pinned or fall back, they run towards you! >) I consider putting carbines in regular fire warrior squads a waste of time, instead I take a drone squadron or two to zip around behind cover without taking return fire. drone squads are VERY annoying when used correctly, especially if you manage to get a squadron behind enemy lines. drones can easily take out rear armor 10, and pin squads in place that are sent after them! carbines come in handy, but only under very limited circumstances, and I reiterate; they are really only good when you use them on drones, because even when the enemy isn't pinned, you jet away from them or behind cover and avoid retaliation. unlike fire warriors which just get abused by enemy return fire or assault. :-\
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:22   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to JarredHTG

Pulse carbines aren't really necessary, I wish you could replace gun drone carbines with pulse rifles to be honest. The pinning is nice but mixing ranges in a fire warrior squad is just silly, especially now that you can rapid fire on the move. The mid range mobile shots of carbines is overshadowed. Yeah I agree pinning can be nice but there are just too many armies and units that can't be pinned plus every army has a base ld of at least 7 so the should pass more than half even if you do manage to kill someone with a carbine. It just doesn't come up enough to be more useful than the extra 12" range of the rifle.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

If you dont use allot of drones or use drones for DS then having a few carbines with your warriors helps. That chance of pinning an onrushing enemy and keeping them from getting ya into cc can be the decideing factor in some games. Maybe not against SM but they do help. Personally I just use drones for that since I rarely move my drones far away from my FCWs.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like carbines, and they seem good to have, but since the change to 4th edition, they pretty much become non-essential. That wont stop me form using them though ;D.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

4th Edition hasn't affected them TOO much, IMO. They can still pin, and thats what they were for. They're certainly not essential however, merely useful in some respects.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I love to shove 10 Fw(5 carbines) with two drones in a devilfish. park the fish 17" away, you can dish out 12 shots of pulse fire a turn on the move and an evac if any fast moving units get close.
I would use a whole squad of carbines if I could, but you gotta love the static 30" rifle.
In some of my posts I may mention my feelings, opinions, and/or some facts about various armies. These comments are in no way meant to hurt or insult any quality players, with well planned (sometimes painted) armies. The quality of "Cheese" is limited to the specific individual and can only be enhanced/diminished by any imbalance due to game design, codex creep, or by not having a new codex for eight years. Any posted comments are not intended for any army as a whole.
Thank you, and goodnight.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 06:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've found that in a squad of 12, 3 Carbines is good. I like a 3 to 1 ratio with rifles and carbines. Usually that means I get at least one wound with 'em and don't water down my long-range too much. And truly, against a lot of enemies, they aren't too helpful, but for the few times that they do come in handy... MAN! It's lovely when your enemy has to watch his little assault unit hold ground while you surround them with your entire army and open fire...

Like angels singing, I say.

Fine indeed.

http:/nyquildreams.com
Old 21 Dec 2004, 22:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use squads of 12 fire warriors in devilfish and give 2 of them carbines... you only lose 2 shots and as rare as it is, watching an expensive enemy squad be pinned by fire warriors is always fun. Dont count on them to pin things but its a nice little bonus when they do..
Closed Thread